2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed Slightly Unlevel

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 06:11 AM
ringking
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bed Slightly Unlevel

This may sound stupid but I have noticed, especially in some of the older ford trucks, that the bed is slightly unlevel or tipping to one side. I have a supercab FX4 2004 F-150 and I have this same problem, again it is not really that big of a deal. I'm just curious if anybody else has had this same issue. It is enough that if you look carefully you will notice and yes I'm on level ground. I went to the dealership and looked at all of the trucks there and they seemed to be ok. Would this have to do with how the truck is put together on the assembly line?
Thanks for any help.

Old 06-06-2004, 07:39 AM
PhrEEkSh0w
Senior User
The bed on my truck is perfectly level. I've seen what you are talking about on older trucks. I'm guessing, but I always thought the bushings were worn down.

Not sure what would cause it on a newer truck. If it's really bad maybe have the dealer look at it.

Old 06-06-2004, 07:54 AM
ringking
Freshman User
Thumbs up

That's kind of what I'd assumed. You just sometimes need that second opinion. Well, thanks for your time.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:54 AM
jra
Freshman User
Have you actually taken a tape measure and measured the bed in relation to the cab of the truck? If so, how far off is it?

Old 06-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Cincy F150
Senior User
Do the body lines on the side of the bed match with the cab? If you want to square it up, you can get some alignment shims from a tire shop and slip them in between the frame and the bed mount. They have different thickness tabs so this is an easy fix.

Old 06-06-2004, 12:36 PM
zer0cool
Senior User
I had a 2000 Explorer, that the day I drove it home from the dealer, I noticed it sat low on one side. i took it back to the dealer and they told me it was fine. I had them walk the lot with me to show me another one that sat that way and they couldn't. They wheeled it back to the service department and made some adjustment to the suspension, which took about 10 minutes. They could have saved themselves an hour of arguing about nothing being wrong if they'd have just spent the ten minutes fixing it first.

Old 06-06-2004, 02:38 PM
ringking
Freshman User
It really doesn't bother me a whole lot, I just wanted to see if I was alone with this issue. If it continues to get worse or really starts bugging me I will take your advice and shim one side. Although it is worth a shot to go to ford and have them fix it since it is after all a Brand New Truck. I will try ford first. Then go from there, thanks for the replies.

I have not measured it but I will do that also and get back to you.

Old 06-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Neil
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ringking
This may sound stupid but I have noticed, especially in some of the older ford trucks, that the bed is slightly unlevel or tipping to one side. I have a supercab FX4 2004 F-150 and I have this same problem, again it is not really that big of a deal. I'm just curious if anybody else has had this same issue. It is enough that if you look carefully you will notice and yes I'm on level ground. I went to the dealership and looked at all of the trucks there and they seemed to be ok. Would this have to do with how the truck is put together on the assembly line?
Thanks for any help.
ringking: Over the years, I've had 2 new Ford trucks delivered with crooked beds. I don't recall how they fixed the first one, but the most recent one was my 2001 Super Crew. A few days after I picked it up, I had to return it to the dealer for some wiring problems. While it was sitting in their shop, I happened to walk past the open bay door and noticed that the right rear corner was lower than the left rear corner. You could sight across the tailgate to the front of the box and see an obvious difference. I asked the service writer to take a look and he could see it as well. As soon as the tech was finished with the wiring problem they took it over to another bay. The tech asked me how much I thought it was off of level. He crawled underneath with his air wrench, loosened the right rear bolt that secured the bed to the frame. He stuck a pinch bar between the cross-member of the bed and truck frame, lifted the bed and slipped a 1/4 inch spacer around the bolt, removed his pinch bar, tightened the bolt and PRESTO, the bed was level. He had a selection of spacers available. I'm not sure if they were a Ford part or something that had been custom made.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:03 PM
ringking
Freshman User
That makes me feel better. I think that when I take it to the dealership for other work I will mention what you said they did to your truck. I would love for it to be level like it should have been in the first place. Thanks for all your help. This forum is great!