Manual Trans fluid in my 92 F150

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 01:32 PM
VR666
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Trans fluid in my 92 F150

I just bought a 92 F150 5.0 5spd 4x4. The trans leaks out of the rear.

I want to change the fluid and inspect the leaky area.

What is the procedure? I noticed a fill and drain hole.

I plan on buying a chiltons, but just in case they don't have one how much fluid is needed and what is best?

also any idea what seals need to be replaced to stop the leak?

Old 06-01-2004, 01:36 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
to change, just drop the pan and let the tranny drain for a lil while. then either get a gasket from the parts store or use rtv. then just fill it back up with regular tranny fluid. i believe it will hold 4 quarts but don't hold it to me. they will have tranny fluid quantity in just about any book

i know a lot of times the pan bolts will become loose over time and it will begin to leak. i would get under there with a wrench and see if they need to be tightened

-cutts-

Old 06-01-2004, 01:41 PM
VR666
Senior User
thanks for the input. How do I fill the manual trans? do I need to use a pump or something? The fill hole is on the side of the trans and kind of hard to get at.

so you say the manual trans uses ATF?

Old 06-01-2004, 03:28 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The M5OD transmission has a known leak problem having to do with some rubber plugs, search the transmission forum for more information. The oil is ATF and you can buy a hand pump for dispensing gear oil at any auto parts store. Since you just got it, you might as well change the transfer case oil at the same time, also ATF.

Jim

Old 06-02-2004, 09:39 AM
VR666
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
The M5OD transmission has a known leak problem having to do with some rubber plugs, search the transmission forum for more information. The oil is ATF and you can buy a hand pump for dispensing gear oil at any auto parts store. Since you just got it, you might as well change the transfer case oil at the same time, also ATF.

Jim
interesting on the rubber plugs. So my tranny is the M5OD? Are the rubber plugs near the rear of the tranny where the transfer case is?

Old 06-02-2004, 08:29 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Yes, you have the Mazda 5 speed (aka M5OD). It definately has a reputation for leaking from the rubber plugs on top. I'm not sure exactly where they are, other than on top near the rear of the tranny. There's a tech article on how replace them.

Make sure you get the right kind of ATF. I believe it's Mercon III, but the Chiltons/Haynes manual (which will pay for itself) will say for sure.

Also, as per the earlier post, there is no pan on this transmission. There is only a drain and a fill plug. When you pull the drain plug, it's normal to find small metal shavings. It is not normal to find large pieces of metal - it's a bad sign.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:56 PM
VR666
Senior User
Thanks for the info Andy.

Does this tranny have a good or bad reputation for towing and reliability? I plan on towing a flatbed with a car on it. Should be a bout 5000 lbs

Old 06-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Only towing issue with the M5OD should be the fact that, as the lighter duty transmission, they generally had 'high' gears - not the 3.73 and 4.10's that really rock for towing. You may find it difficult to maintain OD on the open highway, but 4th gear in my M5OD I'm right at 2000-2100 rpms which is where the engine's torque is the fattest - you shouldn't have much trouble except on the steepest hills.

Are you going to be towing *alot*?

My experience with the M5OD...I generally go back up to my grandpa's every 750-1000 miles to have the transmission refilled with lube. I run gear oil, as well. Gear oil is harder (relative) for the transmission to leak out, helps to keep it in there. Plus..its an older transmission so I like knowing its got that thickness for the synchro's. However, ATF is just fine if you go and get new plugs - GET the metal replacements ^_^. My grandpa never had trouble with the transmission, and neither have I. This is 220,000+ miles later ^_^

Old 06-02-2004, 10:08 PM
andym
Post Fiend
I've never seen anything that says the rear end gears have anything to do with the transmission.

Now that I think about it, it would stand to reason that the Mazda would come with higher gears, because it's reputation for strength and reliability, um, stinks. It's not a good transmission for towing.

It's just plain not a strong transmission. Yes, you will find people that put hundreds of thousands of miles on a M5OD, but you will find a LOT more that have had serious problems with it. It's not cheap to fix when it breaks, either.

For anything other than occaisionally towing that much weight, the Mazda will not be good enough. Start saving your pennies now for when it breaks.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:10 PM
VR666
Senior User
I do plan on towing a lot with it. Probably twice a month. I was thinking I should add a tranny cooler... probably use gear oil once I get my tranny leak worked out. Any special place to get the metal plugs rather than the rubber ones?

Old 06-02-2004, 10:13 PM
andym
Post Fiend
I wouldn't use gear oil. The manufacturer spec calls for ATF, so I'd use it if I were you. I've heard that using gear oil in a Mazda can corrode the brass synchros, but I'm not sure about that.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
My point about the gearing was exactly as I said. The transmissions didn't come with proper towing gears because it was the light duty transmission for the truck. Rear end gearing does involve the transmission though, as well as the engine. Powerband, transmission shift points, gear ratios, they all factor into what final drive ratio is housed out back. What point would they have in putting 4.10's behind a 300-6 M5OD?

The M5OD doesn't come with higher gears because it stinks, it comes with them because of what it was meant to be in Ford's lineup and grand 'scheme' of things.

I don't know why you rip on the M5OD so badly. The transmission may not have the durability of a T-18 or a ZF, but it is rugged all the same. The primary reason that things go bad in M5OD's is their operators let all their fluid leak out. How well would I run if I lost 5 pints of blood? Not very good. How well would a ZF run if it leaked its fluid out? Same as a M5OD, it'd grenade. Metal drain plugs and a complete fill of the transmission and it SHOULD be good to go.

What all parts inside of the M5OD go bad OFTEN that have no chance of being related to people not using their head and letting thier transmissions life-blood drip out.

Btw, the transmission throws more as you do more highway driving. While I was in town going to school and back, I didn't have much trouble, my truck just basically marked its spot where I parked it cause the fluid would dribble down the transmission case and then drip to the ground. On highway you have to check it more often. Also..to keep the transmission going you can get a pump and load it with the gear oil (ATF if you will - I'd recommend goign with ATF after the plugs are changed if it isn't too high in miles), take off the drain plug, stick the nozzle into the hole and pump it up till it starts to come back then quickly put the bolt back on. Works quickly and easily.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:59 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
sorry for some reason i thoguht you had the C6.... anywho try this article!

http://fordtrucks.com/articles/july2002/changingatf.php

-cutts-

Old 06-24-2004, 12:44 PM
VR666
Senior User
From my searching I have found that the mazda 5spd holds 4 qts of mercon III ATF... true?

Old 07-05-2004, 01:02 PM
FrozenOcean_xXx
New User
Yes, That is a fact.

Quick Reply: Manual Trans fluid in my 92 F150