Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2004 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 04:17 PM
johntmarron
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the trottle lag on my 2004 Explorer XLT V8 and told the dealer that it slammed into reverse and they replaced most of the tranmission, and it works great.

BUT, I got hte same ABS flashing light and the 4x4 light today. Guess I need to cross my fingers and bring it to Ford to fix.

Old 07-16-2005, 04:19 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome johntmarron, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Tickedoff2
New User
The Big Stall by Ford Motor Company

I Suggest those of you that are getting the runaround from FoMoCo with your warranty problems with '04-'05 Explorer click onto thread '04 Ford Explorer has to have new tranny. mbritt drives a lot of miles and has gone over the 36,000 warranty miles and is looking at paying $3k for a new tranny; even though he had problems and vehicle was in shop for the problem while still on warranty.

If FoMOCo stalls long enough we will all be in the same boat as mbritt. We need to do whatever we can to apply pressure to FoMoCo. They are developing quite a reputation lately with recalls. What happened to quality is job one? It does not cost anything and requires very little effort to file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Office of Defects Investigation; it can be done on-line, in just a few minutes.

Last edited by Tickedoff2; 07-16-2005 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Format slippage
Old 07-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Tickedoff2
New User
johntmarron, Congratulations on getting your transmission problem fixed. How did you get them to fix it, or did they just do it because it was the right thing to do? There are some, like me, who cannot seem to get FoMoCo to live up to their responsibility. Please post your recipe for success. Respectfully, Tickedoff2

Last edited by Tickedoff2; 07-20-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:27 PM
debeer
Junior User
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM
04B22 All 2004 and Certain 2005 Model Year Vehicles Equipped With 5R55S/5R55E/5R44E Transmissions 5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid Additive

Frank M. Ligon
Director
Service Engineering Operations
Ford Customer Service Division
Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

January 2005
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
SUBJECT: Update: Supplement Announcement
Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22 - Supplement #1:
All 2004 and Certain 2005 Model Year Vehicles
Equipped With 5R55S/5R55E/5R44E Transmissions
5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid Additive
RE: Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22 dated January 2005
5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid Additive

PROGRAM TERMS

This program will be in effect until March 31, 2005 regardless of mileage.

REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT

This bulletin is being re-issued to clarify the following points:

Expiration Date:
The original dealer bulletin was published with an expiration date of March 31, 2005 to encourage dealers and customers to have this service performed as soon as possible. The 5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid Additive will prevent the delayed/harsh reverse engagements on vehicles that do not yet exhibit this condition. The expiration date of this program will be reassessed early March 2005 and, based on completion rates, may be extended accordingly.

Urgency:
We recommend that dealers repair all of their in-stock vehicles as soon as possible and utilize their FSA VIN list (available 1/12/2005) to contact customers with affected vehicles to help minimize the number of vehicles that may develop a delayed/harsh reverse engagement, which requires a more extensive repair.

Transmission Fluid Additive Availability:
Since the January 4, 2005 program launch, enough material has been shipped to both dealers and Ford Authorized Distributors (FADs) to repair approximately a third of the total affected vehicle population. By Friday, January 21, 2005 additional material is scheduled and order shipments will resume with sufficient weekly shipments thereafter to service 100% of the affected vehicle population by early February 2005.

Ordering Information:
Parts will not be direct shipped for this program. Order your parts requirements through normal Ford order processing channels or through your local Ford Authorized Distributor (FAD). The unit of issue for 4L2Z-19B546-AA is twelve (12) six (6) ounce bottles of 5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Additive; e.g., an order for one (1) 4L2Z-19B546-AA equals a case of twelve bottles of additive that will service twelve (12) vehicles.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

All 2004 and certain 2005 model year vehicles equipped with 5R55S, 5R55E, or 5R44E transmissions and built between Job #1 2004 through September 22, 2004.

Vehicle Line Assembly Plant
Explorer 4 Door Louisville and St. Louis Assembly Plants
Mountaineer Louisville and St. Louis Assembly Plants
Explorer Sport Trac Louisville Assembly Plant
Lincoln Aviator St. Louis Assembly Plant
Lincoln LS Wixom Assembly Plant
Thunderbird Wixom Assembly Plant
Ranger Edison and Twin Cities Assembly Plants

Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com . This information was made available on 01/06/2005.

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM

The affected vehicles were originally filled with an improperly formulated transmission fluid that, over time, may cause delayed/harsh reverse engagements.

SERVICE ACTION

At no charge to the vehicle owner, dealers are to install one bottle of 5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid Additive to each affected vehicle. This will correct the formulation of the transmission fluid and maintain the shift quality of the transmission.

NOTE: It is extremely important that all in-stock vehicles are repaired prior to delivery. This transmission fluid additive will prevent the delayed/harsh reverse engagements on vehicles that do not yet exhibit this condition.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Customer Notification Letter

QUESTIONS?
Claims Information: .................................................. .......... 1-800-423-8851
Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) Questions: .......... 1-800-325-5621

Prior Approval
Warranty Claims Questions
General Field Service Actions, Questions, or Comments

Old 07-21-2005, 06:32 PM
debeer
Junior User
Old 07-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Tickedoff2
New User
debeer, Thank you for the info in your two postings. I may have something worth posting about this mess in a few days' if I do I will share it with everyone.

Respectfully,
Tickedoff2

Old 07-22-2005, 01:48 PM
debeer
Junior User
Latest info/link for tranny TSB Ford talks about possible extensive damage if not done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Ford/1117...2S3/index.html

Last edited by debeer; 07-22-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Tickedoff2
New User
Originally Posted by debeer
Latest info/link for tranny TSB Ford talks about possible extensive damage if not done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

debeer, Thanks again for the info but the site wont let me in for some reason, perhaps only subscribers are allowed in. There has been a positive development this AM, I may have something to post in a few days-hopefully.

Respectfully,

Tickedoff2

Last edited by Tickedoff2; 07-22-2005 at 02:59 PM. Reason: combined words
Old 07-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Tickedoff2
New User
Originally Posted by debeer

debeer, site must have been down when I tried it earlier. It is up now and I was able to access it, I did pick up on the possible extensive damage, the way mine is acting it is more than a possibility unless it gets corrected soon. thank you again.

Respectfully,

Tickedoff2

Old 08-25-2005, 06:16 PM
LisaPT
New User
Same 2004 Transmission

I have the same problems with my 2004 Explorer transmission. It started in parking lots as I was coasting looking for a parking spot. When I gave it gas it would jerk me forward. Everyone told me it was just a "very responsive engine." I then had the problem with putting it in reverse. I would give it gas, go no where and then get jerked into reverse. The next day I got the recall notice for transmission fluid in the mail. While having that fixed I had them look at the coasting problem. They repaired both problems. Now - 6 months later it just stalls. No warning other than I figured out it is always when I am slowing down. I have to pull over, turn it off and then restart. It always restarts. I had it in to be fixed 2 times. Of course it continues to stall and it just started to do the hesitation when turning corners. I give it gas, it doesn't respond for a few seconds and then it kicks in. I also have 2 separate whistling noises. One in the winter when is really cold (10 to 20 degrees) and one when the air conditioning is running. It has been a long year with my brand new vehicle!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2005, 07:38 PM
john bagley
Freshman User
Lisa, there are Technical service bulletins (TSB's) about everything you describe.My Explorer has been the object of almost every TSB. The throttle lag when turning corners (TSB 04-26-20) has to do with the "drive by wire" system. There is no direct connection between the pedal and the throttle body. They tell you in the TSB to reprogram something but go on to say that this will "improve but may not eliminate the problem". Thanks a lot! TSB 04-18-3 addresses the "Hoot Noise While Driving Issue". It has to do with the air conditioning and is a 5 HOUR repair. Lucky for you it's under warranty. You have already figured out the "transmission fluid additive" problem. This car is the biggest piece of crap I have ever bought in 50 years of driving and has depreciated like a rock. It stickered for $34,000, I paid $28,000 for it less than 2 years ago and the Toyota dealer wants to give me $13,500 on a trade. I've driven Fords for a long time but this is the last one for me. Incidentally, for a small fee you can get all these TSB's at a website called Infotraxx.com. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:34 PM
LisaPT
New User
Scary similiarities after reading your email!!! I believe they referred to the bulletin for the air conditioning noise - they ordered sealant for inside the dash. So far it has not worked (but that's the least of my worries). I bought mine in Aug 04. Someone owned it before me for less than a year and put 5000 miles on it. It stickered for 33,000 and I paid 23,000. I just went yesterday to a Toyota dealer where they explained the "Pay what we pay" program for new cars has significantly depreciated the value of my vehicle. They wouldn't even look up book value as my loss would be too big. They ballparked around 17,000. I have only owned a few cars - Dodge, Pontiac, Chevrolet. I leased a Toyota 4 years ago and LOVED it! I drive for work and am very hard on my vehicles. I fixed 2 minor problems on the Toyota in 4 years. I wanted another Toyota but all the necessary factors were not falling into place. I was swayed by many personal reports of how wonderful Explorers were - extremely reliable!! What luck for me to get the 2004 with all the transmission problems. I am not very knowledgeable about cars but from the beginning I thought the "ride" in my Explorer was horrible - rough, slow, shifts are too obvious. I thought I was just not getting used to how a different make of car drives. Guess I was wrong!

Thanks for all the info - They are repairing my vehicle now and have asked to keep it for a while. I'll see what bulletins they referred to - it sounds like the lagging when turning corners is not related to my stalling problem!

Old 08-25-2005, 09:20 PM
john bagley
Freshman User
The stalling problem is a new one on me. I had the engagement problem with the fluid change fix. Then I had the bucking when making sharp turns problem. That's "fixed" by replacing clutches in the rear end. Mine was in the dealer for two weeks with the rear end torn completely out. Then when they put it back together. The ABS light would come on and the brakes would grind when it was on. Also the 4X4 HIGH light kept going on and off. Took them several days to figure that out. I've had it back about 4 weeks now and this week the ABS light comes on intermittently and the Cruise Control only works when it wants to. The plastic panel that houses the window switches on the drivers door is broken and loose. You can see that the plastic tab that holds the panel in place has broken off. Took it to the dealer, "Oh yeah that part is on backorder" You mean I'm not the only guy this has happened to. "Naw we've seen several of those broken." That was 3 weeks ago and no one has called me to say the part is in. Just got off the phone with my brother who is an attorney. He represents Ford in some areas. He put two transmissions in a Ford Windstar before getting a Honda Odyssey. Someone just called him tonight about problems with their Explorer thinking he had some pull with Ford. Seems their 2005 Explorer just blew an engine at 700 miles. Something about the valves seizing up. He's p.o.'d because Ford wont give him a new car.They want to replace the engine. When you get right down to it, this is a disgrace. What year is your car? Sounds like a 2004. How many miles? $17,000 sounds about right but my Toyota dealer only wants to offer $13,500 as I mentioned previously. Carmax, who I think is notorious for lowballing, offered me $16,000.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:27 PM
LisaPT
New User
Mine is 2004 but it is V6 and I think yours is V8. Mine has 23,000 miles on it. I was thinking I might need to consult an attorney soon - read some Lemon Laws but couldn't make sense of all of it. I found the insurance card of the guy who owned it before me - looked him up in phone book - going to call him tomorrow to see why he got rid of it so soon!

I let ya know how I make out when I get mine back - funny thing is the Taurus loaner they gave doesn't ride much better!

Good luck to you - you sound way worse than me - other than the random stalling!

Quick Reply: 2004 Transmission