BioDiesel what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 06:44 PM
tinsmith
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BioDiesel what do you think?

I'm looking into using Biodiesel in my 6.9, with the cost of fuel today it might be the only way to go.
What do you think??

Old 05-12-2004, 06:48 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Make sure you don't have any rubber parts in your engine. Biodiesel causes them to deteriorate. Other than that, I have heard that it produces at least the same amount of power and lubricates the engine much better. I'm considering making some myself.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:28 PM
browning1919
New User
I have not tried it in my truck, but my friend tried it in his VW TDI. He used 100% bio and we noticed a decrease in acceleration and power. It may have been a poor mix that he got. He has been thinking of trying a blend to see if that changes his luck.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:12 PM
redneckmechnic
Senior User
any one no were to get a simple method for making it. id love to make some to have. in the summer i get free fuel from were i work but come fall when i head back to school i dont. if i could stock pile some to have that would be great.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:19 PM
tinsmith
Junior User
Old 05-14-2004, 12:23 AM
tinsmith
Junior User
http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/

This looks like the best way to make your own BioDiesel, and with the price of fuel today it makes one think.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:40 AM
redneckmechnic
Senior User
thanks for the good links. makes me wonder if i could build somthing like the fuel mizer thinger for cheaper then 3 grand. maybe with alittle more capcity. if i could run my whole farm off of that stuff i could save alot of money each year. problem is off road diesel is 1.24 so the savings isnt as great.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:36 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i would say go biodiesel. its not hard to make, and you can eisily get oil from your local fast food joint. you would also need lye and some ethanol/methanol. mix it w/diesel some depending how much you make, if you want to run it in the engine you have w/no modifications i would say mix it around 50/50 cause pure biodiesel will eat rubber and lose some power, but i dont think its a huge loss, if it cost less you can save up to modify that french fry cooker!

Last edited by muscletruck7379; 05-18-2004 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:35 AM
tinsmith
Junior User
I joined a Co-op in Portland that is building a Processer to make Biodiesel, most of the people in it have been running 100% Biodiesel for the last 2 years. The cost is less then half of Diesel, and I have asked them about the rubber issue. Not one of them has had any problem at all.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:16 AM
FORD DIESEL
Senior User
Originally Posted by tinsmith
I joined a Co-op in Portland that is building a Processer to make Biodiesel, most of the people in it have been running 100% Biodiesel for the last 2 years. The cost is less then half of Diesel, and I have asked them about the rubber issue. Not one of them has had any problem at all.
I would like to learn more about co-op //all of your co-op have what type equiptment in their vehicles & were do they buy the equipt at.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:19 AM
tinsmith
Junior User
Hi,
Here is the link for the group http://www.gobiodiesel.com/tiki-index.php

As far as buying anything extra for the vehicle, the only thing will be is Fuel Filters. The Diesel seems to clean out the tanks and you will have to change a few filters. But other then that, just put it in and take off. Also you can go here and make your own,
http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/

Old 05-19-2004, 11:22 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is your recipe for a small homemade batch of Biodiesel. I didn't say I recommended it, but here it is.
http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/biodiesel.html

Old 05-19-2004, 11:40 PM
tinsmith
Junior User
Thanks, but I am making it a little bigger then that. Try 50 gal. at a time.

Old 05-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Chopperbob
Freshman User
Old 05-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Teedo47
Freshman User
Biodiesel processors

I bought an '86 6.9 for the purpose of using biodiesel and vegetable oil. Don't but the online processor kit, it has plastic tanks and biodiesel loves to corrode plastic. Those tanks can catastrophically fail, spewing hot oil and methanol. A better option s using an old electric water heater tank. You can buy dented floor models from a hardware store pretty inexpensively, but old used ones work fine, too. The heat helps process the fuel, and water heater tanks are insulated for efficiency and then can withstand lots of pressure. Water heaters also come with all the holes you need, and can be modularly swapped for bigger tanks and methanol recovery still can be attached to them. Plans for this type of system and the designer's contact information can be found at:

http://www.veggieavenger.com/avenger...opic.php?t=332

This is the type of system i built, but schoolwork and a lack of a ventilated garage has prevented me from making any yet
But I do know a couple guys who have used this setup to make many batches of good fuel (good enough for his newer 7.3 DI turbo)

This summer I will be re-plumbing my fuel lines to used SVO (straight vegetable oil=unprocessed fryer grease) in one of my tanks. If anyone is interested i can post/email them a play-by-play when i do it in late july/early august.

Happy biofueling!

Quick Reply: BioDiesel what do you think?