1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Shift Cable Adjustment - How?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Ranger3L
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift Cable Adjustment - How?

I'm trying to adjust the shift cable on my 1996 Ranger 3L.

The Haynes manual says:
"Pull down on lock tab on the shift cable and remove the fitting from the manual shift level ball stud with a screwdriver".

Well, I found the shift cable, LOL. But I see no lock tab. What does it look like? Is it built-in to the roundish plastic thing that goes through the big metal bracket? I'm scared to mess with that because if I break that plastic piece then I'm really messed up! Am I even looking at the right thing? ;-)

Any help out there?

Old 05-12-2004, 04:51 PM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
The manual shift lever you are looking for is rearward from your picture. Sticking out of the side of the trans is a shift lever with a plastic connector that slides over the ball stud on the lever. I never heard of adjusting the lever, is your speedo gear indicator out of position with the letters PRNDL?

Old 05-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Ranger3L
New User
ranger pat:
"is your speedo gear indicator out of position with the letters PRNDL?"

Well, sometimes when I shift it doesn't go into gear. It doesn't feel as if it's slipping or anything, it just ain't going in. The troubleshooting guide said to adjust the shift cable. It happens very rarley and drives real good.

But the Haynes manual isn't real good on this pocedure. It is more confusing than anything else. The labels on the pictures don't correspond to what the text says. I figured adjusting it couldn't hurt. If it still does it then I know it's something else.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Ranger3L
New User
Wheather it's the thing I took a picture of, or the thing further up attached to the actual shift lever I still see no "lock-tab" that I'm supposed to pull down.
The Haynes manual diagram points at a "lock tab" on the thing I took a picture of above.

Where ever it is, it will have to loosen the cable so you can adjust the length before you lock it back in place. There is a kind of tab just behind the thing I took a picture of, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I don't think it is for adjustment.

Here is a picture of the Haynes Shift-Cable Diagram:
http://home.comcast.net/~kr4495/Rang...bleDiagram.jpg

I'm stumpped. Hasn't anyone here adjusted their shift-cable? There must be some trick to it.

Old 08-21-2004, 03:14 PM
dylanbrady
New User
Did you ever figure it out, got the same problem!!
Thanks

Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
MrMikey64
Freshman User
Shift Cable Lock Tab

This is probably a dead issue by now, but as reference for those who might be considering this in the future:

As you look at the shift cable from underneath, you will see where the end "snaps" onto a ball stud. From there it continues towards the front and goes through a metal support.

If you look at the assembly in that area, you will notice a piece that is white in color, while the rest is black. That white piece is your lock tab.
Prying the edge with a screwdriver will allow it to slip out enough for you to make the necessary adjustment.

My problem, on the other hand, is that I have tried that adjustment, and I still can't get mine to shift right (won't go into Park) on a 1995 XLT 3.0 with 4R44E. The PRNDL switch on the tranny seems fine when moved by hand.

I think I am looking at cable replacement; but I do wonder: does the excessive slop in the shift lever indicate a problem in that area, and do those ever need to be replaced?

Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
wp120470
Posting Guru

Never had that from a Ranger but I had 2 exploders at work I had to go under the dash and tighten up the linkage at the column. Made a world of difference.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
rangergolfer
Junior User
My shifter on a y2k 3.0 was getting tough to get out of park and when i could i had to fool with the shift lever to get into drive, turned out to be the neutral safety switch and is very easy to shift now.