Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

I need some assurance about the Lightning.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 11:13 AM
jbry311
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I need some assurance about the Lightning.

Currently I have a 2001 Dakota R/T club cab and for almost a year or so everytime I see a Lightning on the street I seem to gawk at it as if it is some divine truck. I really like the way they look and the way they run, but the single cab configuration and also the fact that the body style has changed in '04 is what is detering my decision to sell my R/T and purchase a lightning. I'm just worried about the room inside also. For anyone who has one, were you worried about the room at the time as well? I'm used to having a club cab and I don't know how I'm gonna feel without one. Is it still worth it? I love my truck, but after almost 3 years I feel like I need to part ways with it and get something else that's a little faster and better looking. I just want some reassurance I guess. So let me have it.

Old 05-02-2004, 01:46 PM
KCFD408RT
Freshman User
I had two Lightnings. A True Blue 02 that ran 12.37 and a 03 Black, before them I had a 2000 Supercharged Reg. Cab RT. I missed the RT so much....I sold my 2003 Black Lightning for a 2003 Club Cab RT....and then bought my cousins 2002 Club Cab with a 408 that should EASILY run well in the 12s if not high 11s. I paid 32,000 for the Lightning and bought the RTs for 16,000 each. Keep the RT make it fast.....and save a lot of money. The R/T with the Club Cab is the way to go is my opinion after having 2 Lightnings and 3 R/T. I am sure you will here other wise considering this is a Ford site and most people will say the Lightning is better even thought they never had an R/T.

Old 05-02-2004, 01:47 PM
KCFD408RT
Freshman User
By the way I am not saying one is better then the other. I just like the R/T better, my opinion.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Lightning trucker
New User
If you want to drive a truck that will make your heart pump a little harder when you hit the trottle, get a lightning. I also have a Dodge RAM 3500 with a rear seat and I rarely have any back seat passengers. I mostly use it to carry cargo inside the cab. I bought the Lightning because it is a "factory" hot rod with a warranty.

Old 05-04-2004, 02:44 PM
nd4spd
Senior User
I recently went to fordlightning.net and saw this about the new 3rd Gen L....thought you guys might wanna take a peek....its gonna be one HOT truck.....

Coletti's team fit the SVT Lightning concept with an all-aluminum, 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged and intercooled V-8 engine conservatively rated at 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque (SAE net). And while they were at it, they invented and patented a speed secret for those times when even that much power just isn't enough.

Ford's patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle's air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine's intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air - resulting in a denser air charge.

A green light on the instrument panel indicates the system's readiness. SuperCooler is activated automatically when the driver depresses the accelerator to a wide-open-throttle position.

This technology plays directly into the hands of the enthusiast, Coletti says. The SuperCooler provides the edge for the driver, and it is done simply by taking advantage of the hardware that already exists in the vehicle.

As a result of this cool technology, the SVT Lighting concept can give its driver as much as 50 transient horsepower for short bursts of 30-45 seconds and regenerate within 2 minutes under normal driving conditions. While its effect is similar to that of an aftermarket nitrous oxide system, the SuperCooler is completely self-contained, environmentally friendly and regenerative.

The SVT Lightning concept engine features a Lysholm, screw-type supercharger, paired with both an intercooler and the new SuperCooler system. The 32-valve, double-overhead-cam powerplant boasts Manley connecting rods, two fuel injectors per cylinder and high-performance heads similar to those on the limited-edition 2000 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R.

Exhaust gases escape through free-flowing headers and dual side pipes, producing a classic American V-8 rumble. Power is delivered to the rear wheels through a six-speed manual transmission. The same Tremec T-56 transmission is used in the 2003 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra. In keeping with the performance nature of the SVT Lightning, the short-throw, console-mounted shifter is more like that of a sports car than a traditional pickup's long-shaft, floor mounted shift lever.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Red460
Senior User
I agree with you KCFD408RT. Pimp out your Dakota! I like Mopar stuff as well as Ford stuff either way I like stuff thats fast and can waste a cheby!

Later,
Red460

Old 05-13-2004, 09:35 AM
jbry311
New User
Thanks for the replies and advice. I actually think I am going to keep my R/T a little longer and get more of it paid off so I can get some money out of it. There really isn't much more that I can afford to do to make it much faster. I've already put a 52mm TB, IP air intake, 180 thermostat, relocated IAT sensor, flowmaster exaust, and a chip. I am right around 300hp and I still take most cars/trucks that try to run me. I think it's plenty fast for me right now. I know I can do much more, but I don't feel like doing so much to it that the 7 year 100k warranty will be voided for good. Plus I have 47k on it and my original warranty has expired. There is no need to do more engine work if I plan to get rid of it in a year or so anyway. The payment is kicking my ***, so I want something that's less than $495/month. I'll probably end up getting a used 2004 f150 crew cab in a year or so and get nice rims and tires for it and maybe a little body work just to make it look different. The lightning would have been fun, but I think in the end I'll be happier that I didn't get one. I'm going to need something with more room.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Tony D.
New User
Another alternative to the Lightning...

Hey, I just stumbled on your posting, and I may have another alternative for you.

How about a Harley Davidson Edition F-150? 2002-2003 comes with the same engine/supercharger set-up as the Lightning, plus all the room of a SuperCrew with 4 full size doors.

You may have to tweak the suspension a bit to get the cornering of the Lightning (Excess weight) but that with some other mods including exhaust and intake and I'll bet you'd be right up there. You also have the added bonus of driving a bad *** Harley around which turns just as many heads (if not more than) the Lightning.
I currently drive an '01 Harley, and although it's not supercharged, I've gotten it up to about 320 hp with a K&N Fuel Injection system, JBA Headers, a Borla CatBack exhaust system, and a ported throttle body.

One thing to take in consideration, though, is the Supercharger requires you to use only Premium fuel, and at the way fuel prices are going, you'd have to think twice about the value of a supercharged beast under your right foot. Besides, I can always add a bolt-on supercharger down the road when the gas prices come down.

Good luck in your difficult decision!!

Old 06-02-2004, 09:45 AM
95-F-350-4x4
Posting Guru
I don't own a Lightning but I sat in one at the auto show and my current truck is a single cab. The bucket seats in the Lightnings are sweet and the cab is alot more roomier than my 95 cab is. I'm 6' tall and had plenty of room with the seat back. I say buy the Lightning!

Old 06-02-2004, 10:26 PM
CJack
Junior User
I plan to go from a 3/4 ton crew cab to a Lightning. I'll probably drop the factory seats for a pair of sport seats and a console. I miss the old standard cab I used to have.