Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 F350 PSD 3 problems

Old 08-02-2002, 11:18 AM
ellie136
New User
95 F350 PSD 3 problems

Hi, I'm a new user to this forum but have been the original owner of my PSD, it currently has 133k. I have faithfully maintained this truck and been a "fool" for using the dealership that I purchased it from. They have cost me big bucks over the years for minor problems. 1st problem. Oil leak that every 500 miles I need to add 2+quarts. Some oil spots on pavement when parked but most is lost on driving. I'm getting some song and dance about the oil filter seal or possible engine/transmission seal even though they did all of the maintenance and replaced the transmision @ 118k. 2nd problem is a short in the electrical system. #8 fuse controls speedo/odo, interior lights, hood light, and OD switch. This has been traced to the ABS/OD wiring and replaced, no help, then to the headlamp "fuse" replaced no help. Now when I just try to replace the #8 fuse I can't, the fuse pops before it is totally in so I can't even drive it to get it looked at.
3rd problem, last week I could not get the truck out of park...the ABS light was flashing and no rear brake lights. Had it towed to dealership they looked at it and couldn't find a problem but suggested that brakes may be problem. This can't be because I have had the rear brakes, rotors, drums, shoes, and calipers replaced @ 117k and 125k in addition to the emergency brake cable that got stuck on the way home from the last brake job and smoked my drums :-( I really love this truck and cannot afford another vehicle of any kind at this moment but these repairs are taking me to the cleaners. Feel free to email personally or on the board with any suggestions.

Old 08-03-2002, 07:44 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
95 F350 PSD 3 problems

The first thing you need to do is either find a competent mechanic who has experience with the Ford Power Stroke vehicles or find a competent dealership -- they have PROVED themselves to be incompetent. The Ford dealerships know how to find an oil leak -- add some dye to the oil and start the engine, turn out the lights and watch the suspected area with a black light (you may have to drive the truck around the block a couple times). Check the valley first. If there is a leak in the valley it will run out the back of the engine on the right side (rear of the block) and run down between the engine and the transmission, out the bottom and look like a rear seal leak.
Since you've already paid for the electrical fix on the #8 fuse, I'd make them fix it right this time at their expense. This is how you keep mechanics competent -- by paying them to do a job correctly. If they do it incorrectly, they have to do it over again at their expense. The hourly rate they charge for electrical work on non-warranted vehicles offers them no excuse for not having the job done right when they are finished. On the other hand, you may want to chalk the experience up as education and find someone who can and will fix it.

Old 08-04-2002, 09:33 AM
ellie136
New User
95 F350 PSD 3 problems

Thanks for the quick reply. Now I have somewhere to start on the oil leak:-) I am really looking hard for a competent mechanic and doing some "interviews" on prospective mechanics. Since I have AAA the truck has to be towed to someone who can fix these problems. To anyone else who might read this post I want to say how much I love the PSD and can't think of a better vehicle to own I have owned Chevys, GMs, Toyotas, and Dodges. Not all were trucks but I have to say the PSD has out performed and exceeded all of my expectations. :7