propane conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 11:56 PM
ruttrowe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
propane conversion?

Anybody try this yet? I heard it burns cleaners and can be switched from diesel to propane on the fly. supposed to be more economical. please advise.

rutt

Old 04-24-2004, 12:03 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your looking into big time mods to do this, changing injectors and other various parts. Unless you are made of money or racing I would really do some research first.

Fire Rooster

Old 04-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
You might be referring to propane injection rather than a propane conversion. I've got propane injection on my truck, where the propane is injected into the airflow pre-turbo, and improves the efficiency of the diesel burn, plus adds power. Used sparingly, it can/will improve mpg, but I keep mine wicked up for additional power. I still get the same/better mpg than before, but I get there much sooner.

Old 05-09-2004, 06:26 PM
rickbow
Junior User
Quadzilla,

Could you tell me more about your propane injection system? What is the best system? What better fuel mileage did you get before/after? Cost vs. fuel mileage?

Much thanks.

Rickbow

Old 05-09-2004, 09:19 PM
BigBully
Senior User
I have to say Most Guys DID Not do propane to get better Mileage, They do it for ALot more Power. Even if it does give some extra MPG its offset by Haveing to Buy Propane. IMHO the Powershot2000 Is the best system. It dont need Mixers and heaters To make it work, It is Just Vapor and Works real well. The way I have mine set I get about 85 Extra HP To the rear Wheels.

Old 05-09-2004, 10:53 PM
rickbow
Junior User
I started thinking about doing this, but after posting this, just reconsidered, after looking at another post where a guy just added a modified exhaust and chip and blew out his engine. Ford said they would not warranty the engine. Going to cost him $13,000 to replace. I was trying to find more ways to increase fuel efficiency- with the increases of gasoline prices these days- but as you said, it's bascially offset. Being a new truck, I think I'm pretty much stuck with the way things are until my warranty runs out. Thanks for the reply Big Bully and GOOD LUCK! (I may reconsider down- the- road.)

Old 05-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
If you want better mileage and do not want to void your warranty, get a free-flow tailgate or a camper shell or a tonnaeu(whatever) cover. Also if your engine has been taken care of, and you do not think it will have problems(before warranty is over), get you a Tymar air filter and a 4inch exhaust.
If you want even better mileage and sound, take off the muffler and the cat. Sounds great! But i think that the exhaust and air filter will void your warranty, so only put those on if you are COMPLETELY sure it is what you want to do.

Last edited by Frost13; 05-09-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:22 AM
Fordafied
Senior User
Not to hi-jack this post but, Will a Tymar and 4" exhaust void your warranty??? I am having both of them delivered as I type. Mine is a 2000 so the warranty will be running out in 10 months anyway.

Old 05-11-2004, 06:53 PM
JMorton
Senior User
Tymar and Exhaust will NOT void the factory warranty. I do warranty repairs on trucks with intakes and exhaust systems everyday. Don't sweat it with those parts.