1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

something rattling in sunroof area

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 09:06 PM
sonic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question something rattling in sunroof area

01 EB - with the power sunroof/moonroof whatever its called. When coming to a stop, wether the roof shade is open or closed, there will occasionally be something rattling around in there. At a red light today, i closed the cover and stuck my hand up in between the rear of the cover and the headliner, and felt something that seemed to run crosswise across the width of the opening. it felt sort of like a ball bearing type of slide that you would find on a toolbox. It seemed as if that might be what is "sliding" back and forth.

Any ideas? Brian

Old 04-24-2004, 02:14 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
FORD: 2000-2003 EXPEDITION
2001-2003 F-150
2003 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
LINCOLN: 2000-2003 NAVIGATOR

ISSUE:
Some 2000-2003 Expedition/Navigator, 2001-2003 F-Series Under 8500, and 2003 F-Series over 8500 vehicles may exhibit a rattle from the roof opening panel (moonroof) area, a failure of the roof opening panel to open properly, or a water leak from the roof opening panel. This may be due to the water trough being separated from the trough guide on either side, as a result of a broken trough guide.

ACTION:
Check if the water trough is securely attached to the trough guide at each end. Check for damage to the lifter arm assemblies at the joint where the trough guide metal rods attach. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE: IF ROOF OPENING PANEL SERVICE IS PERFORMED BY A SUBLET FACILITY, MAKE SURE THIS ARTICLE IS REFERENCED DURING SERVICE.

The trough guide is a small plastic piece with a metal rod attachment which is responsible for guiding the roof opening panel water trough along the roof opening panel track as the panel opens and closes.

The roof opening panel water trough is a metal tray that attaches to the trough guides at each end and is responsible for collecting water as the glass panel tilts and operates.

In cases where a water trough becomes loose, it will rattle against the rearward portion of the roof opening panel assembly during driving. Likewise, it may result in the roof opening glass opening without the interior shade opening simultaneously. It may also prevent the glass panel from fully opening or closing.

A separated water trough may lead to a water leak into the vehicle at the rear of the roof opening glass when the moonroof is opened.

Check if the water trough is securely attached to the trough guide at each end. Check for damage to the lifter arm assemblies at the joint where the trough guide metal rods attach.

Before replacing the guides and trough, inspect the roof opening panel track for broken plastic guide pieces, and remove them. Be sure to discard the original water trough and use a new trough, even if damage to the trough itself is not apparent. The new water trough design has fully enclosed screw holes rather than open-ended slots for securing it to the trough guides.

If there is no damage to the lifter arm assemblies, but the water trough and guide are separated on either side, replace BOTH trough guides AND the water trough (serviceable subassemblies of the roof opening panel assembly) according to the following replacement instructions.

If there is damage to the lifter arm assembly or assemblies, replace the moonroof assembly according to Workshop Manual Section 501-17.

Rear Trough Guide Replacement
Remove the roof opening panel (glass). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 501-17 for removal instructions.
Remove the two trough guide retaining screws (Figure 1).
Remove and discard the water trough (Figure 2). One end of the trough may still be attached to the trough guide - if so, remove it from the trough guide assembly.
Disconnect the trough guide wire from the moonroof lifter arm mechanism on either side (Figure 3).
Slide the trough guide assembly through the small slot in the tracks to remove it on each side (Figure 4).
Inspect the trough guide assemblies for damage. If damage is found, inspect the roof opening panel track for the broken pieces and remove any pieces found.
Carefully twist the new trough guide through the small slot in the tracks to install it.
Connect the trough guide wire to the lifter arm mechanism on either side.
Set the NEW water trough onto the trough guide assemblies.
Tighten the two screws (one on each side) through the holes into the trough guide assembly holes. Torque to 1.0 ± 0.25 N-m (9 ± 2 lb-in).
Re-install the roof opening panel according to Workshop Manual section 501-17.
Adjust the glass flushness as specified in Workshop Manual section 501-17.
NOTE: WHEN PROPERLY ADJUSTED, THE TOP OF THE SEAL BULB AT THE FRONT OF THE GLASS PANEL SHOULD BE FLUSH TO 0.060" (1.5 MM) LOWER THAN THE ROOF SURFACE, AND THE TOP OF THE SEAL BULB AT THE REAR OF THE GLASS PANEL SHOULD BE FLUSH TO 0.060" (1.5 MM) HIGHER THAN THE ROOF SURFACE.

Cycle test the moonroof through the vent and full open positions to check for proper function.

NUMBER PART NAME
3C3Z-78500A65-AA Trough Guide - Left
3C3Z-78500A64-AA Trough Guide - Right
F75Z-7854022-AA Water Trough

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
78500A64 01

TSB 03-11-10

Last edited by HomerWinzlow; 04-24-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:28 PM
chaznolan
Junior User
I have a 02 expy and I just had a similar problem, a rattle while in motion that i could only hear withthe roof open. It turned out to be the front crossmember for the roof rack. On the bottom side there is a Torx screw that holds the crossmember attached to the bracket, a couple of turns and 'prob solved.

thats my .02

Old 04-24-2004, 07:31 PM
sonic
Senior User
well that sounds like a blast to work on theres no sign of leaking, either past or present, so thats a good thing. honestly, i will have to see if the cover opens with the roof or not, i typically have just left the cover open all the time. so from what i read, if both the cover and roof are closed (so you cant see out) and you press the button, both should open up simultaneously, right?

Old 04-24-2004, 07:34 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes. On the one I recently had with the broken trough it would pull back too far also and the handle would not be accessible. It depends on what degree the breakage is. The one I fixed had both sides broken off. With the new parts and skill and instructions you can do the repair in about an hour.

Alternatively you can purchase the sunroof assembly without glass or sliding panel for around 1200.00

Old 04-24-2004, 07:37 PM
sonic
Senior User
chaz.... that was my first thought too. our grand cherokee did that until i put an aftermarket roof basket / tire carrier on it too. unfortunately thats not it. you can actually hear something sliding back and forth. you only notice it when stoppring or starting out, when the vehicle shifts front to back and back to front. i was able to feel something that runs crosswise that seems to be the problem, unfortunately it doesnt "feel" cheap

Old 04-26-2004, 12:58 PM
nickalbu
Senior User
One of the many problems with my 03. I had the dreaded Chinese water torture from the drivers grab handle. After the dealer did the "fix" it poured from from the passenger handle. After fixing that, it rattles when open and driving slowly in the city.

Last edited by nickalbu; 04-26-2004 at 01:07 PM.