diesel/propane

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 02:20 AM
acooya
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel/propane

hi anyone heard or have experience in propane assisted diesel fuel for a 7.3 idi.....

Old 03-30-2004, 10:27 AM
WallaceC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idi propane

Yes, bullydog makes a kit and another that I dont rember the name of. Its a simple homade thing though. Propane tank from a gas grill, to a acetylene cutting torch guage set, then to a RV style propane 12v on off cut off, then to a hoze to a nozzel (you can build) I forget the diameter of the nozzel off hand, it fits into the neck on the air intake of the engine. The elect RV propane cut off I wired to a switch and indicator light in the dash through a microswitch that completes the curcuit when the fuel pedal is just over half way down. Propane can only flow if both the dash switch and micro switch are on. I find 3-5 lbs on the acetylene guage on the tank is plenty. I only use it for high altitude hill climbing towing a fiver. Watch for detonation if you hear this you are putting in too much propane. This setup works very well for a non turbo high altitude towing, be warned several have fried their motors doing this, for the added power is hard to live without when it's not really nessary to have this system on. The pressure in the propane tank varys greatly from a cool morning to the afternoon warm up, keeping the propane set at the low pressure requires constant adjusting, I'm talking 3-4 times a day this thing must be reset. I understand that there are better larger regulators that help with this(read expensive)There is a step by step how to somewhere I used for my install from about 3 years ago. If you want I'll try to locate that page again.

regards