1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Changing Fluid In M5OD 5 Speed Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Fluid In M5OD 5 Speed Manual Transmission

I'm typing this up to let you guys know what and what not to do when changing the fluid in your M5OD transmission.I just changed mine this afternoon and replaced it with Mercon V ATF.It shifts smoother than ever.So,I'm going to give you some tips on the easy way of doing things.

Of course,the fill and drain taps on the transmission are on the driver's side.So,get on your creeper and crawl under.First of all,you'll need the following to do this the easy way:

1) Ratchet fitted with a 15/16" socket.
2) Drain Pan
3) 5 quarts of ATF that you choose. (Personally,I would get the Mercon V,but that' up to you).
4) Creeper
5) Kerosene Hand Pump

Now that you're under the truck,slide your oil drain pan under with you,placing it under the drain tap.Now,take your ratchet and loosen the fill plug.If it's adequately filled,fluid should run out of that hole once the plug is removed.Second,take out the drain plug.Let it drain until it stops dripping.While it's doing that,you're going to want to inspect the magnet at the tip of the drain plug.There will probably be a few metal shavings on it,along with some 'sludge',so just clean it off and set it aside.

Now,when the drain stops dripping,reinstall the drain plug,tightening only a little over hand tight.Just enough to make sure that it doesn't leak.Now..From here on,you're going to want your fill plug close at hand.Now,take your first quart of ATF and take the cap off.The Kerosene Pump that I mentioned is available at Wal-Mart in the heater section.If you can't find it,a WM employee will be glad to assist you .It's basically a rigid plastic tube on one end with a hand pump at the top.Then,there's a flexible plastic hose coming from the pump.This is how you're going to get your fluid from the bottle to the transmission without spilling a drop...Hopefully.Insert the flexible hose into the fill tap of the transmission and the rigid end into the bottle of fluid.Then,start pumping.The fluid should transfer from the bottle to the transmission with no problems.

I believe that my M5OD held around 3 quarts.But,I would at least get 4 when I went to the parts store,just in case.If I were you,I would get 5 just to be safe,especially if this is your only vehicle.When the transmission is considered 'full',fluid will be running out of the fill tap.At that instant,remove the hose and screw in the plug.Tighten it the same as you did the drain plug.Then,recheck both plugs.

CONGRATULATIONS!! You've just changed your M5OD Transmission Fluid!!

I hope this helps.Sorry this is so long,but I wanted to help as much as possible.

Good Luck!!

Nightrain

Last edited by Nightrain; 03-29-2004 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Your post should qualify for "Sticky" status!

Old 03-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Thanks Dealford.Just trying to give back to the people that have helped me so much.

Nightrain

Old 03-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Thanks Nightrain, great post, I'll add it to the sticky tonight.

Old 04-03-2004, 01:50 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
If I am putting a rebuilt trans in my truck, instead of trying to pump fluid into the fill hole, can't I just pour it down the hole where the shifter goes in?

Less mess? And would that hurt anything? Thanks guys.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:37 PM
bunting1
Freshman User
Just being curious.......

At what milage did you change the fluid?

Old 04-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by G2IC_Wraith
If I am putting a rebuilt trans in my truck, instead of trying to pump fluid into the fill hole, can't I just pour it down the hole where the shifter goes in?

Less mess? And would that hurt anything? Thanks guys.
As far I know it won't. My friend does that on his 87 Ranger. Take out the fill plug on the side of the transmission. Get someone to watch as you pour the fluid in the top. When it starts to come out of the hole then you stop. Put the plug back in and put the top cover back on.

-Matt

Old 04-05-2004, 12:25 AM
mazdaford5spd1997i4
Freshman User
In relation to changing the manual tranny fluid, first of all, i am assuming i have that tranny( 1997 2.3L 5spd) adn second i was wondering if there are other iol types i should use that could be bewtter or to just stay with the atf mercon..

Old 04-05-2004, 02:44 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just changed tranny fluid last week (M50D) and I'm running Redline. The jury is still out, but so far it seems to have improved shifting performance.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Diabolic
Senior User
What's M5OD?

Old 04-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Doc Jones
New User
Originally Posted by Diabolic
What's M5OD?
Manual-5spd-OverDrive.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Thumper47
Senior User
Good post, Nighttrain.
Bunting1, as far as what mileage to change tranny fluid at: I believe the owners' manual recommends every 60,000. I would recommend more frequently than that. It's easy, it's inexpensive, and the benefits are instantly obvious. You will be able to feel the difference in the way your transmission shifts, etc. And the peace of mind of knowing you drained all the "crud" out and now have nice clean fluid is great. Maybe try every 15-30,000 miles? Like engine oil changes, opinions will vary.
Couple suggestions:
Remove fill plug FIRST as instructed by Nighttrain. Two benefits; allows air in as fluid drains, allowing for quicker drain. Also, draining fluid and then finding out that you can't get the fill plug out would be plumb embarassing!
Position drain pan correctly in anticipation of the draining fluid "shooting" out at an angle rather than just draining straight down. Saves making a mess.
Rather than the kerosene pump used by Nighttrain (though an inexpensive and functional alternative), you might wish to invest in an inexpensive suction gun. Body of suction gun resembles that of a grease gun, but with a flexible tube coming out the top. You drop the tube into the new bottle of fluid, withdraw plunger (ala syringe), sucking fluid up into gun. Remove tube from bottle and insert into fill hole in tranny. Push in on plunger (ala syringe) to pump fluid into tranny. Repeat as needed. You will find this suction gun handy to have around for other applications. - Just a thought...
Make certain your new fluid is certified as meeting "Mercon" requirements. 3 Quarts filled my tranny. If you have a 4-wheel drive, pick up 2 extra quarts and change the transfer case fluid at the same time. Use same techniques.
FWIW

Thumper47

Last edited by Thumper47; 04-05-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:29 PM
ceprice
Freshman User
Another way of getting fluid into the trans by using a small pump designed for filling the lower leg of outboard motors I got mine at wally world for 15$ and all you do is simply slip it into the bottle of fluid and stick the hose into the fill plug. I have had lots of luck using this and I manage to make less of a mess.

Old 04-05-2004, 06:56 PM
mazdanotaford
Freshman User
whats the best fluid to use?really dont care about price, thanks

Old 04-05-2004, 10:20 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
Mobil 1 ATF formulated for Mercon/Dexron III is good

Quick Reply: Changing Fluid In M5OD 5 Speed Manual Transmission