1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triton V10 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-1999, 08:45 PM
edward
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Triton V10 spark plugs

Old 09-08-1999, 06:08 AM
MamasV10
Freshman User
Triton V10 spark plugs

I just bought my wife a 1998 Club Wagon XLT E350 15 passenger van with the Triton V10. It's got 27,000 miles on it and I consistantly get 15 mpg on the highway with all 7 kids and their gear with the A/C on most of the time. That's just FYI. Now for the question:
Does anyone know what Ford puts in the engines for spark plugs? And would I gain anything by putting a plug like the Bosch Platinum 4 in it? It doesn't accelerate as smoothly as I think it should. I've already put in a K&N air filter. That seems to have gained me about 1 mpg, trivial but worth it. I plan to pull a 30 foot camper with it and I want to have it all set up before next summer's camper season.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-08-1999, 08:47 PM
snomoman
Freshman User
Triton V10 spark plugs

They are now putting platinum plugs in them, I don't know about 98's. Ford sells their own brand which are very good. As far as the new Bosch 4 probe design, I have not heard any feedback on them. One important thing to remember with the new plugs. Just because they are advertised to last 100k miles, doesn't mean they will. And you MUST take them out every 20k or so miles, clean and never-seize the threads. Otherwise they will never come-out when the miles roll on. I ran the platinum in my car, replacing them every 80k miles. They were beat-up by then, but worked better than the regular plugs. You should also have the tranny fluid changed before you tow, it's just a good precaution. If it still runs rough after that, you might check the plug wires. They might look good, but that doesn't mean a thing. Heat and time kills them.

Old 09-08-1999, 09:04 PM
Tim Crowe
Triton V10 spark plugs

First V10 engins dont have plug wires they have coil on plug design. One coil per plug.Second I recomend to stay with stock motorcraft platium plugs. The number should be on VECI decal in engine compartment.I have seen a lot of problems with aftermarket plugs causing hard start rough running MIL lights and pinging. Third good luck trying to replace them on a van. Also whats wrong with 15 MPG on a van with a V10. Most people I talk with get olny 10 to 12 MPG.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-09-1999, 06:02 AM
MamasV10
Freshman User
Triton V10 spark plugs

Yes, I do have the coils-on-plug setup. I'm very happy with my 15mpg and that's not my motivation for change. Since I'll be pulling a trailer, I just wanted the best performance setup I can get. I've got the 3.73 with the 4 speed O/D tranny. I drive very conseratively when on the highway usually only 5 mph over the limit using the cruise control the whole way. I plan to put the Superchip in it before I start towing and a different muffler was also suggested. Thanks for you feedback.

Old 09-09-1999, 07:24 PM
snomoman
Freshman User
Triton V10 spark plugs

First, Bosch are not "aftermarket plugs", they are one of, in not the # 1 plug in the world. Installed at the factory on the finest vehicles in the world, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW and so on. They were the first maker of platinum plugs if my memory serves me well. 2nd my brain faded on the plug wires. It's going to take a while to remember that the truck doesn't have wires.

Old 10-20-1999, 08:50 PM
Kmart Shopper
Triton V10 spark plugs

"finest vehicles in the world, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW "

You may think those are the "finest" vehicles in the world, I personally think a Ford Pickup is a much better vehicle, and was on the WINNING side in 2 World Wars.

-Kmart Shopper

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-18-1999, 07:19 PM
ed foster
Senior User
Triton V10 spark plugs

This has nothing to do with the trucks. but are you sure we won the wars? The Toyota Camry as the best selling car in the US is an insult to this country and everyone who fought for it!

Old 12-13-2021, 09:06 PM
alarmingfriend
New User
2017 Ford Triton V-10 in my 2018 Thor 38 foot Motorhome 10,000 miles on it engine light comes on once in a while. Only 5 times for short periods. Reseated the plug wires and keeps doing it. Last year when bringing it in to get it Smogged I had to stop just befor pulling in, slap my comp on and reset the misfire code to pass smog. Suggestions on Factory or aftermarket wires and plugs?
thanks ahead.

Old 12-14-2021, 06:34 AM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
How do you know it's not something else causing the misfire, like a severe vacuum leak, clogged fuel injector, low fuel pressure, etc.?

I would diagnose those items before I would start replacing parts unnecessarily.

-- Dave

Old 12-14-2021, 07:47 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 819 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by alarmingfriend
2017 Ford Triton V-10 in my 2018 Thor 38 foot Motorhome 10,000 miles on it engine light comes on once in a while. Only 5 times for short periods. Reseated the plug wires and keeps doing it. Last year when bringing it in to get it Smogged I had to stop just befor pulling in, slap my comp on and reset the misfire code to pass smog. Suggestions on Factory or aftermarket wires and plugs?
thanks ahead.
You really should start a new thread to discuss your current issues and not just tack it onto the end of an old thread that really isn't the same situation as what you have going on.

Exactly which plug wires have you been reseating? The V-10 doesn't have any plug wires. Which wires are you asking for suggestions on?
Which cylinder(s) are giving the misfire code? Besides the other issues that could be going on mentioned by the last post it's possible that you have a bad plug, boot or COP (Coil On Plug) that’s to blame for the recurring misfire, even with the low age and miles.
For plugs I only use Motorcraft as listed for you motor (not sure if you have the 2V or 3V in the RV) and for COPs I use Denso, which are the exact same as the factory original Motorcraft coils as Denso is the OEM manufacturer and the run about half the cost. But I'd only replace a COP that has been proven bad, especially in your low age and mileage situation. New rubber boot and spring sets can be had from Denso also if doing plugs, new COPs come with boots and springs included.

Old 07-01-2023, 02:42 PM
apache84
Tuned
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by snomoman
First, Bosch are not "aftermarket plugs", they are one of, in not the # 1 plug in the world. Installed at the factory on the finest vehicles in the world, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW and so on. They were the first maker of platinum plugs if my memory serves me well. 2nd my brain faded on the plug wires. It's going to take a while to remember that the truck doesn't have wires.
Working for one of Americas biggest German car parts importer for several years,the owner, German of course, had me install bosch plugs in his then new SUV before he headed off on a ski trip. He returned and told me to throw the Bosch plugs in the trash and reinstall what came OEM in his new SUV. I had similar experiences on more than one American built truck. They sucked, ran like crap, and the miles per went down the drain. It really depends on what vehicle your putting "the worlds finest" into. Personally Ive seen more than my share of defective Bosch Fuel distributors, pumps, electronics and the like to say NO thank you.