1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overdrive Light BLINKING (F250 SuperDuty)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:13 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by campbell99
Greetings,

I have a '99 F250 SuperDuty Diesel with an Automatic Transmision. There is a button on the end of the gear shift which allows you to turn off overdrive -- in other words the transmission won't shift into overdrive once you press the button.

Here's my problem. I start off driving normally. I've not done nothing to the overdrive button and the truck shifts normally into overdrive. 10-15 minutes down the road, the overdrive light (which indicates the state of the overdrive button) is FLASHING. Pressing the button doesn't stop the flashing. Once this flashing starts, the only thing I notice is a much more abrupt shift from 1 -> 2 gear. Odd.

Anyone have any experience or advice?

Regards,
kc
the light bliking is an indication of a transmission problem:
I had the same issues last year and the auto-trans(4R100) was diagnosed with a faulty torque convertor and solenoids. They were replaced under warranty. I have had no other issues.
have it checked by a Ford dealer

Old 10-28-2006, 09:29 PM
dallbright
Senior User
Well, I'll try to revive this thread:

I have a similar problem with my '95 E-250 Cargo, 300 cid 6, 4-sp EOD.

The light doesn't flash, but the overdrive button does not work (the button itself does work on another truck using the same type OD button).

What does flash is the airbag light...in four flash clusters...

It passes inspection so I drive it when I need to.

Last edited by dallbright; 10-28-2006 at 09:45 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-23-2007, 04:40 PM
WheelCrazy
New User
Time to try and revive yet again.
2001 E-350 SD with the blinking OD light. Only happens when it's nice and warm. Trans was serviced not that long ago & very few miles since.
Read this thread, decided to pull codes before posting
Can't find my book regarding the codes so...can anyone help?
Only trans code is: P0781 1 to 2 shift error.
Would this code be caused by the previously mentioned differential speed sensor?

Appreciate the advise.
WC.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, it would not. The 1-2 shift error means the computer isn't seeing the right RPM drop when the trans shifts from 1st to 2nd. It could be a stuck valve or a bad intermediate clutch. You need a pro to diagnose what's wrong. It's not simple like a speed sensor. If it was the speed sensor it would affect all the shifts, not just the 1-2.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Travelin' Scott
New User
Overdrive light (TCIL) blinks, ABS light stays on, & Speedo not working

Here is my story from beginning thru resolution:fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>
Problem: My truck (1999 F350 7.3L diesel, 4x4, SRW, CC, LB, with 116,400 miles) has been running great with no problems until I started it this morning (going to take some Boy Scout on a bicycle trip). I had not even made it out of my neighborhood when I noticed that the ABS light was on, the speedometer was not working, and the TCIL (overdrive light on the end of the gear shift lever) was blinking / flashing. Needless to say I felt pretty sick that 3 major problems had suddenly appeared overnight. Since the truck was running and shifting smoothly, and continued to run and shift smoothly, I completed the day trip and returned home having driven approx 45 miles without incident. The odometer only registered about 7 miles driven. I had parked it and restarted it at various times during the trip, hopefully wishing the problems would go away as mysteriously as they had appeared, but they never did. The odometer had worked very briefly and sporadically, but never registered an accurate speed as far as I could tell. I never tried using the cruise, so not sure if it may have been effected as well.<O></O>
<O> </O>
Troubleshooting: My troubleshooting was done on the internet, mostly on this great site. With 3 problems to research, I had a lot of searching and reading to do. By reading between the lines and combining some of the lesson learned in various threads and posts, it seemed obvious that all three problems were related to a dirty or faulty VSS (speed sensor located on the top of my differential). The first thing I tried was removing it and cleaning it. A short test drive thru the neighborhood quickly showed that it had not worked, nothing had changed. So, I removed it a second time with the intent of replacing it and noticed that it was just as dirty and gunked up as before. This time when I cleaned it, I also cleaned out the hole, replaced it, and took another test drive – no change!<O></O>
<O> </O>
Resolution: Simply stated, I went to Auto Zone, paid $18.99 (plus tax) for a new VSS, installed it, took a short test drive thru the neighborhood and, thankfully, all the problems were gone, like they had never existed in the first place!!! I have not been out on major roads yet, but hopefully this was all there was to my problem!!<O></O>

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Jerry Edwards
Junior User
Overdrive problem

I have a 2002 F250 4x4 PowerStroke.It sometimes will not go into overdrive,it free wheels between drive and OD.If i hit the gas hard once and leave off it automatically goes into OD,other times it goes straight into OD drive,same places and speeds,no driving difference.Differrent overdrive problem,but need help!

Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Travelin' Scott
New User
Follow-up News

Originally Posted by Travelin' Scott
Here is my story from beginning thru resolution:fficeffice" /><o>></o>>
<o>></o>>
Problem: My truck (1999 F350 7.3L diesel, 4x4, SRW, CC, LB, with 116,400 miles) has been running great with no problems until I started it this morning (going to take some Boy Scout on a bicycle trip). I had not even made it out of my neighborhood when I noticed that the ABS light was on, the speedometer was not working, and the TCIL (overdrive light on the end of the gear shift lever) was blinking / flashing. Needless to say I felt pretty sick that 3 major problems had suddenly appeared overnight. Since the truck was running and shifting smoothly, and continued to run and shift smoothly, I completed the day trip and returned home having driven approx 45 miles without incident. The odometer only registered about 7 miles driven. I had parked it and restarted it at various times during the trip, hopefully wishing the problems would go away as mysteriously as they had appeared, but they never did. The odometer had worked very briefly and sporadically, but never registered an accurate speed as far as I could tell. I never tried using the cruise, so not sure if it may have been effected as well.<o>></o>>
<o>> </o>>
Troubleshooting: My troubleshooting was done on the internet, mostly on this great site. With 3 problems to research, I had a lot of searching and reading to do. By reading between the lines and combining some of the lesson learned in various threads and posts, it seemed obvious that all three problems were related to a dirty or faulty VSS (speed sensor located on the top of my differential). The first thing I tried was removing it and cleaning it. A short test drive thru the neighborhood quickly showed that it had not worked, nothing had changed. So, I removed it a second time with the intent of replacing it and noticed that it was just as dirty and gunked up as before. This time when I cleaned it, I also cleaned out the hole, replaced it, and took another test drive – no change!<o>></o>>
<o>> </o>>
Resolution: Simply stated, I went to Auto Zone, paid $18.99 (plus tax) for a new VSS, installed it, took a short test drive thru the neighborhood and, thankfully, all the problems were gone, like they had never existed in the first place!!! I have not been out on major roads yet, but hopefully this was all there was to my problem!!<o>></o>>
12-12-2008 News Update from Travelin' Scott: The VSS seems to have been the problem. I have driven a couple thousand miles under various conditions, speeds, trip lengths, etc., and everything has been great (knock-on-wood).

Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM
untiro
New User
OD light

I have a 99 F350 with 178,000 on it. My OD light has been flashing on and off for over a year. Ford found nothing and didn't fix it either. For the last few months on top of the OD light flashing intermittently the transmission is slow to shift from a dead stop. Both happen at the same time. The local reparable transmission shop diagnosed the front clutches in the transmission slipping. Total complete rebuild dead or alive is $2300. I'm still driving it since I have had this problem for some time.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM
daninline
Freshman User
I might buy this truck it only has 143,000 miles
Ok I hope someone can give me some info in this?
I'm looking at a 2000 F250 Diesel 4x4 the OD light is blinking when I put it in park. The guy put it in 4x4 low and now it seems like the senser is stuck as it was still showing this when we were in 2 wheel drive. He said he's been driving like this for a while.

Do you think the truck thinking it's still in 4x4 low would turn on the light?

Is this just a switch or senser that's stuck?

Also could it be he left the hubs locked?

Thanks

Dan

Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Mighty builders
New User
Normally If the truck is shifting fine until the light begines to flash and only a little more of a bump when it shifts after it starts you are experiencing high line pressure due to a safety mechinism in the trans you problem is a stuck or faulty torque convertor clutch soleniod switch 150.00 - 250.00 depending on where you go to fix it and the parts supplier they use takes maybe an hour. most of you all getting those rebuilds are just being taken to the wood shed by the trans shops.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Librac23
Junior User
Greetings,

I have a 96 F-150 that I've been driving around, its my dads truck, he just got it a few weeks ago and all was good, Until today. The Overdrive OFF light keeps blinking. It's always shifted wierd since we've gotten the truck, but now this stupid light is on.

plus the Engine light is on, but it goes off when it down shifts, but then it feels like its bucking, and it also goes off when the brakes are applied...but then comes back on shortly after.

Anyways...anyone find any other causes for the Overdrive OFF light?

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:34 PM
fast_st
Senior User
Jumpstarting an old thread? You'll have to find someone with an engine scanner and a trans scanner, get the codes, the codes will start to point you in the right direction for both problems. Not bein a smartass but its all printed in the previous tomes, step 1, codes

Old 04-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Librac23
Anyways...anyone find any other causes for the Overdrive OFF light?
I know of about 50 different problems that can make the OD light flash. I can't tell which one is your problem without knowing what codes are stored in the PCM.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
fast_st
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I know of about 50 different problems that can make the OD light flash. I can't tell which one is your problem without knowing what codes are stored in the PCM.
I recall back there used to be two seperate interfaces, did that go away with ODB II ? so with the right kind of scanner, one port to read everything? I've only caused the light to blink by coasting backwards in neutral or by holding over 2k rpm in neutral to warm things up.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I don't recall two separate interfaces.

Quick Reply: Overdrive Light BLINKING (F250 SuperDuty)