User Signatures

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 05:22 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
User Signatures

After repeatedly having to explain the signature guidelines to users only to have them either argue with us about them, point at others and say "why don't you get them as well", etc. I've decided to turn off signatures.

Admins, moderators, FTE Sponsors and Club FTE members will have signatures turned on. All other users will not.

Please, no arguing about it or disagreeing with the decision --- it won't change it. We've simply spent too much time having to deal with users who either don't read the announcements or think that because we haven't gotten to someone else's yet that this somehow exempts them from the policies.

The forum software will be undergoing a major upgrade this week or early next week, and signatures will be obsoleted at that time anyway (due to a feature I've written).

Old 03-18-2004, 07:09 PM
fordman428
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey ken are signatures going to permantly deleted or is it just for a while. and whats the major uprade thats going to happen, thanks.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:03 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They will be perminant.

As for the upgrade, just wait and see

Old 03-19-2004, 04:47 PM
coolbeans
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Thats cool, wether sig's are allowed or not doesnt matter, I like this place anyway!

Old 03-21-2004, 12:25 AM
broncobillybob
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah it aint no thang. less to read thru anyways! keep it up guys! u rock! -William

Old 03-21-2004, 09:32 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ken,

Too bad this aspect has been abused. It would have been nice if the signatures could have been kept to a single first name only. I like having a name to address a post with without having to go to a profile to get one.

Vern

Old 03-21-2004, 11:46 AM
FireHazard
Senior User
I agree with the change I go to some other forums where there sig is so long and full of pics that it is like 2 post per page. It's crazy!!

Old 03-21-2004, 12:19 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Now, instead of saying "My '01" and not having to detail it, I'll have to include all pertinent information everytime I post about something.

In all my dealings with BBS's in the past, and running quite a few myself in the past 20 years, I have to say this is not a good sign for things to come.

Kinda like the 'I can say "***" but not "@$$"' policy because of the small print in your guidelines that says you can't mask expletives. And yet, *** is not an expletive in your filters, but you (and by "you" I mean you and your moderators) still pounded on a few people for doing it.

Punish the many because of the few. Nice going... and letting the "elite" keep their sigs while punishing the "little people" is a nice touch too...

I want to make a very cynical comment here about the parallels between this and other things going on in the world, but based on previous responses to things like that, I'll leave the obvious comparisons to the reader.

I guess if I pony up the money to join the club, I can get my sig back?

Oh wait, there's that previously unknown "cut-and-paste" technology... hmm... how did that go again? Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v ...

art k.

Old 03-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
Originally posted by krewat
Punish the many because of the few.

art k.
Reminds me of my military days

Old 03-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would say it is more like going to a movie at a theatre.

The people who get there early always have to wait for the people that are late.

The people who are abusive have no regard for the people that are caring

Old 03-21-2004, 05:29 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by Mil1ion
I would say it is more like going to a movie at a theatre.

The people who get there early always have to wait for the people that are late.
Haven't been to a movie lately, but it starts when it starts, doesn't it? Or does it work differently in Canada?

And quit flaunting your sig!

Whoops, two smileys, more than twice the size of a 200 char sig... ouch... but at least I didn't violate any policies by listing my now-deceased FORD's.

Really guys, you put regulations on signatures trying to keep them small. No other cars, no past cars, no mods, nothing but Ford, Ford, Ford. I'm a Ford guy, haven't ever bought anything BUT a Ford.

Then, you restrict sigs to 200 characters because of bandwidth. Then, actually start editting people's signatures without their knowledge (isn't that mail fraud or something because it crosses state lines?), and then PULL all signatures because people actually complained or argued the point?

Now, because of your own policy, you got tired of editting peoples signatures, and they all must go.

Are you sure you dont want to just give people back their 200 chars of identity?

Old 03-21-2004, 07:28 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
From my first post in this thread: "Please, no arguing about it or disagreeing with the decision --- it won't change it."

If the intent of your post, with its sarcastic payload, was to change the policy, you did not succeed. Instead, you provided a perfect example of the type of whining that caused the removal.

Unfortunately it appears we cannot meet your expectations, nor provide a forum to your satisfaction.

Old 03-21-2004, 09:57 PM
horsecop
Senior User
Aw what's in a sig anyway? Trucks still parked outside! I'm guilty of not reading the site announcements. Probably because it's way down here. Might want to put it in Red and at the top. Just a suggestion. Ken what's going to be new?

Old 03-21-2004, 10:00 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
We could dress announcements in bikinis, spin them and have blinking lights attached to them.... some people still wouldn't read them. Sorry, I'm not dropping any hints on what's new.... everyone will know at the same time.

Old 03-21-2004, 10:05 PM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked seeing what others drove and it helped see where they are coming from. But your the boss Ken. I'm just thankful for the site.

Chris

Quick Reply: User Signatures