'88 Ranger, floods on start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 01:24 PM
gomsu
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'88 Ranger, floods on start

I have a 1988 Ford Ranger, super cab, 2WD, 2.3L, 5 speed manual.

I purchased the truck just to bomb around in. It's mechanically sound but has one problem: it seems to get too much gas when starting the motor, only if the motor is cold. I've noticed that when the temperature is below 30 degrees, it starts like a brand new vehicle. If the temperatures are 35-40 degrees, or warmer, the truck immediately pops once and then floods. I then have to hold it right to the floor and eventually it will start. Sometimes it takes right away, other times I may have to turn it over, take a break and try again. Occasionally it takes so long that it begins to drain the battery down, but eventually it will start.

I've experimented a bit and noticed that when I disconnect the air hose to the throttle body, bypassing the air box, the truck seems to start no matter what temperature it is, although it doesn't start as quick when it's around 40 degrees or warmer, but it will start before it floods itself out. I think this is not solving the problem, just allowing a bit more air in to lean the mix out.

It's just a bomber, so if this fixes it fine, but I'm just wondering if anyone as any ideas on what it is. I don't want to stick more than $50 into it if possible.

*Also noticed that a sensor that sticks out of the intake, facing towards the front of the truck is not hooked up. It has two prongs sticking out of it, but I can't find the wiring harness anywhere for it. Figured maybe a air temp sensor or something. This motor has been rebuilt and chopped up a little, so my quick fix of disconnecting the airbox and possibly putting another type of air filter off of the throttle body may be a quick fix. A bit concerned about fuel mileage though, if it's getting too much gas. I haven't trusted it enough to drive it anywhere and check the mileage.

Any advice is appreciated

Old 03-14-2004, 01:05 AM
Drizzt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats your problem right there... that canister looking sensor is your idle air control valve, find the harness and plug it in