Sponsored by:

Line-in on Excursion Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:47 PM
aeropilot4fun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Line-in on Excursion Stereo?

I've got a 2003 Excursion Limited and while I didn't get the DVD option, the manual claims the stereo I have will work with the optional DVD package. Now I don't want to add a DVD but I'm looking to locate the "line in" audio line for the stereo so I can plug my MP3 player into the stereo. I'm currently using one of those FM transmitters, but the sound quality stinks and the line in would be most preferrable. If anyone has any insight into this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

ps - I'm a newbie to the boards, so if this has been discussed before, go easy on me. ;-)

Old 03-11-2004, 02:35 PM
2000XPSD
Freshman User
pull the radio out and look for a line-in or a pinout diagram...it take 2 seconds to pull the unit out. buy the tool or use a couple of mini-screwdrivers.

Old 03-14-2004, 12:18 AM
gregaber
New User
I got the DVD package but I'm also interested in the Line In option for my iPod. Will this be possible to add the iPod or will it be an "either-or" choice?

Old 03-31-2004, 03:57 PM
clswan
New User
O.K., I am no expert on Ford factory radios, but I have spent considerable time recently on my CD-6 radio in a 2001 Excursion. The CD-6 radios have many inputs and you could likely cluge together a solution, but I will share with you the direction I took, as it is clean and leaves additional options available.

First, several companies offer a device called an Auxillary Input Converter which will plug directly into your head unit. These come in several flavors, depending if you want to retain any present devices that input into the factory radio (additional factory CD changer or DVD player in 2003), and/or if you wish to be able to connect more than 1 additional source into the unit (ipod, DVD, etc.) These will only work with head units that have a CD button. I do not know about non-CD-6 units, but all CD-6 units have this feature/button.

With that said, a supplier for at least four different brands of Converters is Logjam Electronics. The url for the listing of those that can be used in our vehicle is http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxford.html.

If you were to go to the manufaturer's site for the various brands, you will find extensive documentation for some of the products. However, to save you some time I can tell you that installation is a breeze, and operation is even simpler. Once installed, simply press the CD button to toggle through the connected devices. For the PAC model, you do have to toggle an on-off switch to toggle between an existing DVD or external CD changer and the input(s) connected to the Auxillary Input Convertor. I do not have an external CD changer, so I can toggle between the existing internal CD changer and the external input (DVD layer) with pushes of the CD button.

Though simple, it took me awhile to discover this option for the installation of a 2003 factory DVD player into my 2001 Excursion without using an FM modulator (those things are pretty bad), so I thought I would share my story.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Bill4Kath
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thnks alot! Did you purchase the PAC AAI-FRD3? I want to make sure that I am buying the right one.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:42 PM
clswan
New User
Yes, the PAC AAI-FRD3 is what I got. You can get off cheaper with another model from PAC or one of the others if you do not need the 3 inputs. I got the 3-input model "just in case". I am happy to share any info I can with you.

Oh, by the way, I learned the hard way that you can't get too rough with supporting the unit via the monitor housing when installing it...........

Old 04-30-2004, 03:21 PM
ExcursionUSA
Senior User
Now here's another question which costed me some time in the past and never got to a solution. Maybe you can help...

I have a 03' Ex with the in-dash 6-CD player and the FACTORY installed DVD option in the rear. Now I wanted to add some headrest monitors, so that the 3rd row passengers don't have to cramp up to watch a DVD. That (so I was told by a Car-Stereo "Expert") would not be possible, as the Ford System can not be added on.

Well, ok then, here's me thought: Could you install an in-dash DVD/CD control unit and use the factory installed monitor and the factory installed DVD as an AUX unit? That way the in-dash DVD-CD unit would support the headrest monitors and eventually (if possible) the built-in flip down screen. The rear (factory installed) DVD could then be connected to the master unit in the dash, so if somebody in the rear would like to watch a different movie than the one you have in the master unit, they could switch the channel on their headrest unit?

I don't know if that would work or not, but it's in my mind for quite a while but I have not found any answer to my problem yet???

Andy idea? Input? Help?

Old 05-05-2004, 10:11 AM
igotoneforya
Elder User
FOR CLSWAN-

I emailed LOGJAM and they told me that the FRD3 cannot be used as a line in for a DVD player, only for amps. You said something different. What are you using yours with now? I want to add 2 amps and a DVD player and I want the amps to have a signal at all times while the DVD player can be switchable. Does it work like this? I am not sure who is right. LOGJAM said there is not a part made to add a DVD player to the existing system.?! Your experience is appreciated.
Adam

Old 05-05-2004, 11:19 AM
clswan
New User
In response to the following;
I emailed LOGJAM and they told me that the FRD3 cannot be used as a line in for a DVD player, only for amps. You said something different. What are you using yours with now? I want to add 2 amps and a DVD player and I want the amps to have a signal at all times while the DVD player can be switchable. Does it work like this? I am not sure who is right. LOGJAM said there is not a part made to add a DVD player to the existing system.?! Your experience is appreciated.

O.K., for clarification;
1. The FRD3 accepts three pairs of line-level audio inputs + controls for a factory external 6-disk changer

2. I am using the FRD3 to route the audio from the DVD to the head-unit. I can select the DVD audio by toggling through the CD button. Since I do not have an external CD changer, but do have the CD-6 headunit, the CD button switches between the internal 6-disk changer and the DVD player. (If I had an external player, there is a toggle switch to use to provide th option of either the exteranal CD changer OR the 3 audio inputs.) Again, you will have to modify your harness to break out the R/L audio of the DVD to the audio connectors that the FRD3 accepts.

3. When I purchased my unit, the harness connector had already been modified, but there are another three power inputs + two different grounds that you will need to deal with as well. I can try to find the wiring color codes if that would help.

4. My simple mind says that there is probably a way to mate up this player to the 2001 CD-6 headunit, but a.) I am not an expert, b.) I don't have the time, and c.) I have had others, more knowledgeable than me tell me that it could not be done. As such, I broke down and bought the FRD3 and have no regrets.

5.) As posted on another related post, the cleanest option is to purchase a CD-6 headunit from a 2003 Excursion, since they are DVD-audio enabled.

6.) Lastly, when you enter amps into the picture, I get a bit confused, as the FRD3 accepts line-level INPUTS only. There are products out there that will break-out the line-level signals to do what I think you are wanting to do, but I have not given that issue much focus.

I hope this helps, but please keep in mind that I am by no means an expert, jut a guy who had a need, spent a lot of time researching, then put together a working solution for my application. I'm happy to share anything else that may help.

Les

Old 05-05-2004, 11:33 AM
clswan
New User
In response to;
I have a 03' Ex with the in-dash 6-CD player and the FACTORY installed DVD option in the rear. Now I wanted to add some headrest monitors, so that the 3rd row passengers don't have to cramp up to watch a DVD. That (so I was told by a Car-Stereo "Expert") would not be possible, as the Ford System can not be added on.

First, I have not tried it, but I did see reference in another post (maybe even on another board) that someone was able to break out the video outputs from the factory DVD player and use aftermarket monitors. If I find that link, I will post it.

And then...
Well, ok then, here's me thought: Could you install an in-dash DVD/CD control unit and use the factory installed monitor and the factory installed DVD as an AUX unit? That way the in-dash DVD-CD unit would support the headrest monitors and eventually (if possible) the built-in flip down screen. The rear (factory installed) DVD could then be connected to the master unit in the dash, so if somebody in the rear would like to watch a different movie than the one you have in the master unit, they could switch the channel on their headrest unit?

Challenging proposition. Again, I think this would hinge on being able to cross the factory video outputs to a standard video connector (svideo?). I seem to recall there being a dozen or more wires connecting the monitor with the DVD player. Please keep me posted if you gain any more insight on this yourself.

As an aside, I just picked up a second factory monitor only off of Ebay. I already have a second factory DVD player, so I may do some testing in the coming weeks. These monitors appear to be fairly high quality, not only from the specs. but also in comparison with others I have see first-hand.

Les

Old 05-07-2004, 10:22 AM
igotoneforya
Elder User
I have more questions.

I have an 03 with the CD6 and both LOGJAM and PAC has told me on the phone that the AAI-FRD3 will not work with the CD6. I was then referred to the AOEM-FRD3 which is for adding amplifiers only. Both companies support people told me that there is not a way to connect a DVD player to the CD6 radio but it is in the works with no expected completion day.

What does DVD audio enabled mean?
CLSWAN stated: When I purchased my unit, the harness connector had already been modified, but there are another three power inputs + two different grounds that you will need to deal with as well. I can try to find the wiring color codes if that would help

What was modified and by who? The radio or the harness? By PAC or previous owner?

I am just trying to add amps and a DVD but these distributors seem to think what you did will not work.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-07-2004, 11:19 AM
clswan
New User
O.K., from info on the Logjam web site;

The PAC AAI-FRD3 Auxiliary Input Converter system allows the user to add up to three auxiliary input sources and have them connected directly between the factory CD changer and the factory audio systems of your 1998 - 2003 Ford manufactured vehicles with the combination of the 20-pin and 16-pin connectors on the rear of the radio (not compatible for RCU rear mounted remote receiver/amp units). I am not familiar with the "RCU rear-mounted hardware, so I cannot comment on that.

However, I can confirm that I have CD-6, and that the AAI-FRD3 is accepting R/L audio input from the DVD player. Audio input is audio input, irregardless if it is coming from DVD (2-channel), iPod, VCR, or otherwise. For me, that was the selling point of the FRD3. I added the DVD, and still have 2 more source inputs available.

You asked about "DVD-Audio enabled". I am using a 2003 factory Excursion DVD setup in my 2001. Though the 2001 and 2003 radios look alike, I am told that the 2003 incorporates the software that enables you to control and to receive audio by connecting the factory DVD directly to the CD-6. I don't recall if you are using a factory DVD player or not.

In regard to the modified harness, it was done by the guy who I bought it from. He was selling several on Ebay over time, and was probably doing it to enhance the appeal of the system. With the wiring "unharnessed", you were free to install this in a non-2003 model (as I did). And yes, it was the wiring coming out of the DVD.

The following post from yesterday provides excellent information on the wiring harness coming out of the DVD https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...0&postcount=11

Lastly, I will say it is odd that PAC would tell you that the FRD3 will not work with DVD. Were you clear with them that you only wanted to connect the R/L audio via RCA connectors? I emailed them for support, as my rear audio controls stopped working when I installed mine. I was clear on my setup, and they confirmed that there should be no impact on the rear audio controls, and that I must have a loose connector. They were right.

I wish you luck and would be interested in what you end up doing.

Les

Old 05-07-2004, 12:55 PM
igotoneforya
Elder User
I was very clear and talked to 3 people total on the phone. LOGJAM stated that they wished they had a part to hook a DVD player to the OEM radio since they receive many calls and emails about this. Maybe the factory DVD player is different than others...I planned on adding an aftermarked DVD player later but now want just hook the portable I have to the trucks system for traveling...I first want to add amps and they have the piece for that which sends a better signal than a line out converter.Maybe the guy that altered the harness is smarted than those at PAC since the PAC pros guaranteed me that the AAI-FRD3 would not work but the AOEM-FRD3 would...The AAI in for inputs while the other is for outputs...AOEM is sending signal to the amp while the other receives it from a DVD or sumthin...

I am still confused as it seems my wishes are unreachable...I guess aftermarket all the way around is the best again...this would have been the first vehicle I would have left the factory radio in due to these reasons but it was looking so good for a while...

can you put me in contact with the source of the altered harness? maybe he can lend a bit of info to me or build me one that works as planned...

thanks again
adam

Old 06-09-2004, 03:00 PM
TexasX
Junior User
Okay, so this is the one you ordered http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacaaifrd3.html .
I have a 2000 X with cd/tape HU and the stock CD changer in the center console. I plan on installing several subs, so will I need this to install an AMP as well as one day for the iPOD, but my main concern is hooking up the AMP(s), not sure if an AMP can be connected directly to the HU or if an aftermarket product is needed like what you have suggested?

Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 PM
mhodgson
New User
Follow Up question...four years later

Les, I have read your posts on the addition of the FRD03 several times over and it is VERY informative...however I too have issues that I cant seem to resolve....and would love to ask you a few more questions....I have the CD-6 radio with NO factory DVD player. I purchased an FRD03 new old stock from a local company and installed it...I cant seem to figure out how to A) get my in dash CD to work AFTER installing the FRD03, OR B) perhaps I simply dont know HOW to make it work....I have a Webasto sliding sunroof in my Excursion so have an Audiovox aftermarket DVD that I would like to feed the RCA audio in, also to feed in my IPOD and last of all my XM radio since I have found that PAC makes a REALLY nice conversion kit for the SKIFI2 receiver....Can you shed some light on this for me?? If you would like to contact me directly.....please feel free to email me at: tastes81560@mypacks.net

Thanks!
Mike

Originally Posted by clswan
O.K., from info on the Logjam web site;

The PAC AAI-FRD3 Auxiliary Input Converter system allows the user to add up to three auxiliary input sources and have them connected directly between the factory CD changer and the factory audio systems of your 1998 - 2003 Ford manufactured vehicles with the combination of the 20-pin and 16-pin connectors on the rear of the radio (not compatible for RCU rear mounted remote receiver/amp units). I am not familiar with the "RCU rear-mounted hardware, so I cannot comment on that.

However, I can confirm that I have CD-6, and that the AAI-FRD3 is accepting R/L audio input from the DVD player. Audio input is audio input, irregardless if it is coming from DVD (2-channel), iPod, VCR, or otherwise. For me, that was the selling point of the FRD3. I added the DVD, and still have 2 more source inputs available.

You asked about "DVD-Audio enabled". I am using a 2003 factory Excursion DVD setup in my 2001. Though the 2001 and 2003 radios look alike, I am told that the 2003 incorporates the software that enables you to control and to receive audio by connecting the factory DVD directly to the CD-6. I don't recall if you are using a factory DVD player or not.

In regard to the modified harness, it was done by the guy who I bought it from. He was selling several on Ebay over time, and was probably doing it to enhance the appeal of the system. With the wiring "unharnessed", you were free to install this in a non-2003 model (as I did). And yes, it was the wiring coming out of the DVD.

The following post from yesterday provides excellent information on the wiring harness coming out of the DVD https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...0&postcount=11

Lastly, I will say it is odd that PAC would tell you that the FRD3 will not work with DVD. Were you clear with them that you only wanted to connect the R/L audio via RCA connectors? I emailed them for support, as my rear audio controls stopped working when I installed mine. I was clear on my setup, and they confirmed that there should be no impact on the rear audio controls, and that I must have a loose connector. They were right.

I wish you luck and would be interested in what you end up doing.

Les

Quick Reply: Line-in on Excursion Stereo?