Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Buying a 2003 Lightning??

Old 03-08-2004, 07:23 PM
bronco351
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Buying a 2003 Lightning??

HI guys, I was at my local ford dealer last night picking up my 2003 Ford Powerstroke from warranty work.

While I was there I walked the parking lot and they had a 2003 Ford Lightning. It was sonic blue in color. Also the truck only has 2400 miles. It even smells new. The price on the window was $27995. I dont think that is too bad a price considering the miles. I'm thinking I can get it for around $26000.

Now, before I decide to lay down $26000, I need your guys help. My next door neighbor owns a Dodge Hemi 1500 Ram. He thinks his truck is the fastest one in the neighborhood. He's goes around bragging how fast it is.

If I buy this lightning, will the lightning be able to blow the doors off that Dodge Hemi. If it can, I"M BUYING IT!!!!

Also, are there any other trucks on the road, that are faster than the Ford Lightning???

I appreciate the help guys!!! I'm seriously considering buying this truck.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:07 PM
sanders79
New User
Thumbs up BUY IT!!

I bought the dark shadow gray Lightning back in october 03, and I have never been more satisfied with a vehicle. It will blow the doors off that dodge. I took some leave and went home to Alabama during christmas, and this Dodge Hemi pulls out of the parking lot and really gets on it thinking he is gonna smoke me... needless to say as soon as i heard his engine rev I stepped on it and his headlights didnt even break the plane of my mirror and I was gone. I slowed down to see who it was and it was this kid and his girlfriend , who was laughing at him for loosing, he tried to get on it again but I put the peddle down and a few seconds later I was running 90 mph and he was in the rearview turning around. I have yet to come accross Dodge or any other truck that can take a Lighting. I ve even blown the doors off a few expensive *** BMW's that thought they could take me. So, defintely go with the Lightning.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:09 PM
bronco351
Posting Guru
Thanks for the reply.

Last night, I just couldnt sleep. I kept thinking about that awesome lightning at the dealership.

So, I went back down there at 8:00 a.m. today and, paid cash for that truck!! I'm happy to say I am now the proud owner of a 2003 Ford SVT LIghtning.

Here is the best part. Around 4:00 today my next door neighbor came home. Of course my lightning was parked clearly in the driveway so he could see it. I was in the garage hanging out. He came over and says....Oh I see you bought another Ford!!! He then stupidly asked me to go with him by this dirt road a mile away to see whose truck is faster. I confidently agreed!!

WE got to that dirt strip. The sun was just setting. His son was the flagger. THE flag dropped, he floored it. SO did I. As soon as that supercharger kicked in, I was off like a rocket ship. I must have beaten him by at least 3 truck lengths maybe a bit more. I"M SUPER HAPPY WITH MY PURCHASE. THIS TRUCK REMINDS ME OF THE MUCSLE CAR DAYS. IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE.....BUY ONE!!!

I just have a quick question. What do you guys do to get the rear tires to hook up. When I push that pedal down the tail wiggles and the tires smoke like carzy!!!

Seriously though, if I could get them tires to hook up, this truck would be plane out insanely fast. WHat do you guys do?? Thanks a bunch!!

Old 03-09-2004, 06:54 PM
sanders79
New User
Well, if you raced him on a dirt road.. hell yea thetires are gonna spin... but if get some racing slicks it'll hook up a lot better. I don't have any mysely, but have talked to amny people that do and they say its the way to go. I have only spun my tires like three times... once in the rain, while turning and putting the pedal to the floor, and then once when it was cold which was a no brainer because the tires were cold and hard, unlike on a warm day when they have the grabband go effect. I've got about 4,400 miles on mine and it still performs like new. So you got a great truck on your hands bro.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:08 PM
sanders79
New User
Yea as you can see I have trouble typing when I get going fast lol

Old 03-12-2004, 10:59 PM
351-4bolt
New User
First of all,
To James Sanders, that's a real eye-turner of a Lightning. To the original questions: Dodges have larger displacement engines, lighter weiht frames and body. That's what they need to keep up with all other brands. I heard recently that the new Dodge race truck had topped the new lightnings by a few miles per hour. But look at it this way, they needed a V-10 to match the Lightning. The rest of those "hemi's" aren't what they're said to be. At Brainerd International Raceway,Brainerd, Mn, Spring of 2003, they had races with each brand of truck. The Hemi did not do very well. From what I remember, Ford and chevrolet beat them on most runs. Being in the automotive repair industry, Dodges are a regular in the service bays. As far as your neighbor, if you can see him as he's so far behind you on the road, you can remember that he's the proud owner of "mostly oil paint and rust." The Lightning has been out for many years, with the exception of '96-98. Starting in 93, which is the year of mine, they've been a cut above the rest. As far as the tires and getting them to hook up, well, I don't know what to say. The tires on mine are too busy outrunning all the other hotrods. They never get time to hook up, just burn up. So, to put a long story short. You've made the correct purchase and I hope you enjoy the TRUE "world's fastest production pickup."

Old 03-13-2004, 09:29 AM
sanders79
New User
WooHooo you noticed my ride..

Thanks for noticing my L, I have a gallery on here as well with a few pics. Yea, my wife thinks I'm crazy because I wash and my L weekly and wax it every other week. I look at it like this, I m just keeping it mint for the future. After I get back from this upcoming deployment I plan to put a few mods on it, I also will be experiencing fatherhood for the first time when I return. However, I will be keeping my L!

Old 03-23-2004, 05:59 PM
ltrripp11
New User
to answer your question, check out the nov 03 issue of sport truck magazine. they had a head to head comparison with the hemi and chevy ss silverado. wasn't even close and way overated on the hemi. however the new sr-10 is another matter.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:05 PM
run351
Freshman User
congratulations bronco351,
I know their addictive vehicles. I have had my 1st Gen since new and wouldnt part with it for anything. I am looking for a Gen2 or possible Gen3 if they ever release it, for a tow vehicle.
You will find your truck will be noticed probably more than most any vehicle around. I dont know if you will be taking it to the track but the Lightnings are a blast. I have been racing mine for over 8 years and its still doing fine with over 124,000 miles.
Be safe on the roadway since just about every truck that beeps will want to race you. It actually gets funny after awhile.

You will have to stop over to the NLOC (national lightning owners club.. www.NLOC.net and join the 2nd Gen Forum) You will get ideas on modification for and see plenty of awesome trucks. You will meet a few guys there that have 10 Second daily drivers, and 12 secs seems to be slow...lol.
Take care
and be safe.
John O