Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Here we go, Ford over timing chain issue SOHC!!!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 10:41 AM
wolgie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Here we go, Ford over timing chain issue SOHC!!!! Help!!

Here is my story, I bought a 97 4.0 SOHC about 2 weeks ago with 85k miles on it. I noticed a slight rattle coming from the engine after I got home. I bought it from an individual who I don't think was aware of the problem. I did some investigating on FTE and talked to a friend who has a 98 that locked up at 40k with timing chain problems. After listening to the engine and reading posts I determined it was either the tensioner and the chain guides or both.

I took it to my local dealer to have them check it out. I told him I thought it was 1 or both of these problems. And was aware of the Owner Notification Programs for these issues. And that the tensioner ONP 00M12 was expired but not the guide ONP 01MO1. He said it sounds like the tensioner, and that 99% of the time that was the problem. I said go ahead and check it out, but while your in there could you look at the guides and replace them if they need it since they are covered. He said " They will look at them and replace them if the need it". They ended up just replacing the top tensioner.

I got the vehicle out the next day and 50% of the noise was gone, but a rattle persisted. I took it back and pointed this out, their mechanic said it sounded like it could be the catalytic converter. but they would have to listen more closely to determine where the sound was coming from. Of course my suspicion is and was the chain guides all along. So this morning he called me and said it is a timing chain area noise, but they don't think it is the guides they think it is the middle tensioner. Big &%&^$%$ surprise, they don't think it is the guides, so I said go ahead and spend 5.5 hrs of labor to tear it down and see what the problem is. He said if it turns out to be the guides it is covered under the ONP. But if its the bottom tensioner "bend over" actually he didn't say that last part, I was paraphrasing.

So here we are, grabbing my ankles waiting for word on the cause. I told him when they get it torn down I want to come down there and physically inspect the problem, he was fine with that. Here is my deal regardless of the problem, they should not have charged me for the original 5 hrs of labor to replace the top tensioner, if that did not fix the entire problem, they could have replaced that one when they reassembled the engine after checking out the guides. And not only that but why are they so resistant to say it is the guides, Ford is the one who foots the bill. Not only that but if it is the middle tensioner as well how do they know the guides are not contributing to the sound, and if so they should be covered and they should only charge me for the parts for the 2 tensioners.

I have a call in to the main service manager to tell him my story, before they call me with more bad news.

If he doesn't help, I will go to the GM, then the RM , then FORD , and finally Henry Ford himself (oh wait he’s dead)..

Please give me your input/horror stories on this issue..

Thanks

I will keep you informed on the continuing saga of "HOW THE WALLET SHRINKS"

Last edited by wolgie; 03-02-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:56 PM
wolgie
Freshman User
Thumbs down Built Ford Tough

Well I just got back from the dealer, It was the middle timing chain tensioner, the center lower one. For everyone out there confused about the configuration of the engine, it has 3 timing chains each with 1 tensioner. There are 2 timing chain guides "cassettes as they called them" basically there is a lower chain that goes from the crank to where the cam should be. Instead of having centered camshaft like a normal v engine it has a shaft with 2 gears on it. these gears each have a chain running off of them to the overhead cam under the valve cover. each of these top 2 chains have a guide they run in to protect them from rubbing against the block. Looking at the engine from the fron of the car, the top chain on the right side is at the front of the engine, the top chain on the left side is in the back of the engine. So I had two bad tensioners, the top right $400 (the one that is covered under the recall up to 72k, I have 85k)and the bottom center one, which is not covered at all, even though it is made of crap parts. Luckily as far as I know the top left one is ok (god forbid if it goes they will probably have to pull the motor). Anyway they at least are going to replace the front guide at ford's expense, as far as the bottom tensioner I will have to bend over and fork out an estimated $1000.

Thanks FORD, Thanks for the built ford tough tensioner. You probably bought it from China anyway.

Last edited by wolgie; 03-02-2004 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:42 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OUCH, such a common problem & they had to go in TWICE. I hope they are at least giving you a break on the labor for the second time. Thanks for the interesting blow by blow on how this thing works, and like you say I sure hope that rear chain doesnt cause you any grief. Are the new tensioners upgraded?

Old 03-03-2004, 09:22 AM
wolgie
Freshman User
Wow, good question I will sure find out. What is the point if they aren't. You would think they would give me a break, but you actually don't have to remove any of the same parts, I wouldn't have believed it had I not gone in the shop and looked at the engine while they had it torn down.

Old 03-03-2004, 06:35 PM
mustangsvt
Senior User
I wouldnt never payed for the 5.5 hours

Old 03-03-2004, 07:24 PM
dogman
Elder User
wolgie

There was a program on TV here in FL. That talked about Warranty on new trucks and cars when there are major changes to the truck/car. Consumer report did it. All the auto biulder had a program like it. It was a life time warranty on all major rebiulds. Like motors where there as a change like the going from a standered V-6 to a SOHC V-6. Most dealers did not know about the warrenty. Is the 97 the first year of the body and motor change? If it is then, I would look at Consumer report for the info. It can't hurt. I have the same motor but my dealer fix it for free and I did not know about it till he said there was a update on that part. I will look to see if I can find the update notes on it.

Last edited by dogman; 03-03-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:30 PM
dogman
Elder User
Service Bulletin Num : 15040 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2002
NHTSA Item Number: 630022
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE
Summary:
SOME VEHICLES INCLUDING 1997 THROUGH 1999 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L SOHC ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A START-UP NOISE FROM THE LEFT FRONT OF THE ENGINE. *TT

This is the parts that you just had replaced.

Last edited by dogman; 03-03-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:50 PM
dogman
Elder User
wolgie

Make : FORD Model : EXPLORER Year : 1997
Service Bulletin Num : 01M01 Date of Bulletin: APR 26, 2001
NHTSA Item Number: 620173
Summary:
SUBJECT REGARDING OWNER NOTIFICATION PROGRAM 01M01 REGARDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE FOR FRONT CAM CHAIN GUIDE ASSEMBLY. *TT

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Service Bulletin Num : 01M01 Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2001
NHTSA Item Number: 619285
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Summary:
OWNER NOTIFICATION PROGRAM REGARDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE PROGRAM FOR FRONT CAM CHAIN GUIDE ASSEMBLY WHICH MAY WEAR OR BREAK AND CAUSE EXCESSIVE CAM CHAIN NOISE THAT DOES NOT GO AWAY AFTER FIVE MINUTES OF ENGINE OPERATION. *TT

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Service Bulletin Num : 14868 Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2001
NHTSA Item Number: 619337
Summary:
SOME VEHICLES EQUIPED WITHT HE 4.0 SOHC ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A PRIMARY CHAIN RATTLE NOISE (SOMETIMES DESCRIBED AS A SPARK KNOCK-TYPE NOISE). *TT

Old 03-03-2004, 07:56 PM
dogman
Elder User
wolgie
Print this up and take it to the dealer and ask for you $$$ back. Go up to the recall / TSB's on the right side of this screen go to explorer and the year theres over 350 + recalls and updates. Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2004, 03:49 PM
jcurrie
Junior User
I keep reading about this problem with the 4.0s and mine makes this noise. I've even had someone come up to me and say that my truck is knocking. What can I do and what should I do about this problem? Is this a free fix? I sounds like dogman knows the most about this.

Old 03-05-2004, 07:41 PM
dogman
Elder User
jcurrie

Print what I posted and go to the dealer with it. You my need to Request a Research. I was told by the dealer if the truck has under 100,000 miles they will fix it. Theres a OWNER NOTIFICATION PROGRAM on this site I think. Go up to the recall / TSB's on the right side of this screen.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:43 AM
GizmosStang
New User
Oh boy sounds entirely too much like the issue I just addressed with my Parents' 97 SOHC...

Only difference it they kept driving with the noise... NOT A GOOD IDEA...

Ended up changing both Cam Drive Assemblies (Ford No longer calls them Cassettes) the Primary Chain/Guide&Tensioner, as well as Jack Shaft Bearings, Balancer Assy Chain/Guide/Tensioner oh and got to swap oil pumps and all the Rod & Main Bearings due to the extreme amount of shedded plastic in the engine..

WORD OF ADVICE IT IS ALREADY MAKING NOICE STOP DRIVING IT AND HAVE IT FIXED IMMEDIATELY.

Rear Chain Assy can't be changed in vehicle as there is a jack shaft plug (similar to older engine Cam Plug) on the rear of the engine inside the bolt circle for the transmission... Oh and Ford Dealers will have all sorts of fun tracking down the correct timing parts for the job, and if you get luckier than I did they might be able to find bearings...

Old 03-13-2004, 08:21 AM
jcurrie
Junior User
GizmosStang
Who paid for this? Hopefully this was covered by some sort of warranty.

Old 03-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Benelli Boy
New User
Wolgie,

What was the final bill for the job and what did Ford actually cover. I was going to take mine in,but had to leave if for 2 days and was going to be charged $85.00 for diagnosis. Thanks

Old 03-14-2004, 05:28 PM
dogman
Elder User
I was talking with some ford Q-care wrench heads, and they said it's a great motor when you get past the timing chain problems. Untill that time its a pain. They did say to keep up on the oil changes. They also say that ford has come out with a blower for the SOHC now. I have no conplaints with my SOHC all the updates and recalls are done.

Quick Reply: Here we go, Ford over timing chain issue SOHC!!!! Help!!