Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Good way to re-use an old chest freezer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 11:00 PM
eehoepp
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good way to re-use an old chest freezer.

So I had an old 10 cu. ft. chest freezer in my garage that I picked up almost a year ago because it was "free for the removal". I won't fall for that again. I lugged a circa-1950 freezer (*very* heavy) out of my future brother-in-law's basement. I finally plugged it in and ... it didn't work. My neighbor is an HVAC tech & he figures it lost the freon charge. Faced with the prospect of loading it back in the van (it hasn't grown any lighter) to haul it to the recycling yard & reclaim some space in my garage, I hit on an alternate plan.

I have a problem with moisture from the air condensing on my tools & rusting them every spring. Because of the nature of my garage (the maple tree is slowly succeeding in pushing the garage over), I can't really do anything about the moisture. I needed a climate-controlled cabinet to store the more sensitive tools in.

So... I screwed some casters to one end of the freezer & stood it on end so the lid opens like a door. After I released the latch & the lid nearly smacked me in the face, I removed the balance springs from the hinges. I hung a couple of old refrigerator shelves (I have a problem throwing out stuff that *might* be useful for *something*) inside and mounted a lamp socket parallel to one of the lower inner panels. I put a 25W piano-lamp style bulb in the socket & plugged it in. The interior of the freezer-***-warmer seems to be hovering around 50-60F when the ambient temperature is around freezing.

So long as the temperature in the freezer is above the outside temperature, I will not get any condensation on the tools (or inside the power tools). And it's surprisingly deep - deep enough to store a sawzall in its case.

I love this kind of solution - no more damp tools, the non-steel parts don't get burned up in a steel mill, and no strained back hauling the thing away. It looks kinda cool, too.

A co-worker suggested I paint it red & put a Snap-Off sticker on it.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 02-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
A lot of guys use old refrigerators with a low wattage bulb inside to store tools and welding rod.

-Edit- I never thought about using a chest feezer tho

Old 02-24-2004, 04:50 PM
eehoepp
Elder User
I had never thought of it before, nor had I heard about it, so I thought it was an original idea. Sighhhhhhh...

Thinking about it though, the freezer has a couple of advantages over a fridge: 1) It's deeper than a fridge, so it'll hold bigger stuff, and 2) It isn't divided into two sections (fridge & freezer). This freezer also has textured aluminum inner panels, so it should prove more durable than a plastic-lined fridge.

A fridge, of course has the advantage that it already has shelves in it.

It's still a pretty neat idea, though.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 02-25-2004, 07:30 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
old refrigs also work well for storing paint, and thinner esp. when vented to the outside. George

Old 02-25-2004, 01:31 PM
nick88f150
Posting Guru
you can probably use it for storing younger siblings as well....wish we had one

Old 02-25-2004, 06:54 PM
eehoepp
Elder User
Yeah, I thought about the younger sibling thing (well, a body in general). But then I am that younger sibling. Good thing age and careers have put a few miles between my sister and myself.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 02-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Monster 78 F-150 4X4
Elder User
If you have guns and you load your own shells an old smaller freezer (we have one that is a horizontal one the is 3X3X3) and it is good for holding powder, shot and primers safely (lockable, seald, dry and flame resistant) Just my $.02

Old 02-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I would say flame resistant for a few moments... BOOM!

Old 02-26-2004, 07:49 AM
bronc95
Junior User
They work really well to hide the bodys in especially if you fill it with concrete before ya dump it in the lake

Old 02-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Ghostgunn
Elder User
Great idea-- Probably could put a simple $10 lock on it store thousands of dollars worth of tools inside it and stupid thieves would by pass it for the cheap tools you leave out. Unless you have a hungry thief with some spare time to cut the lock.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:17 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a great idea.I have an old one in my shed.Hmmmm.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Kikko
Junior User
My father in law converted an old one and used to smoke salmon and other meats. I should have learned how he did it before he passed.
Now I just go to Costco and buy the beef jerky...probably cheaper this way.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:06 PM
kevin71100
Senior User
I had an old freezer that I used as a riding mower repair station. I was able to change the belts, add a mulching attachment and replace the blade with out working on my old knees, I should have kept it for the uses previously mentioned. My current one will be used a psuedo-temporary lockable tool cabinet/gun safe. But it has to quit working first, and I hope I don't have it full of beef when it does.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:44 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
eehoepp how did you hang the shelves?

Old 03-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Andysutt
Postmaster
I have an old chest type freezer like that plugged up with a bulb in it... to keep misc junk it

Quick Reply: Good way to re-use an old chest freezer.