Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

not impressed with new Cummins speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 11:34 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
not impressed with new Cummins speed

OK, I know this is a Ford board, and I have raised some eyebrows with this comment. Let me begin. My brother inlaw is a die hard Dodge man. He has a 2001 2500 4X4 Cummins 5 speed. He has the Banks kit, larger injectors, supplemental fuel pump, Mcleod flywheel and clutch, etc. That thing is a freakin beast. He jumped on it with a car trailer and a Dodge Dart attached and the rearend started spinning. Fast truck. Gtech said 14.8 in the quarter and 380 hp. Hard to tell about the torque but it holds you in the seat when boosted. His wife bought a 2003 Laramie HO Cummins 6 speed QC 4X4. I rode with him the other night. While going down the road, he was stating that it just doesnt have the power it should. We took off onto another road and he stayed in it until a set point on the highway. It got 74 mph. He was into it as we got small tire spin in third and fourth gears. We then got onto the interstate and I asked him to punch it at 70 mph in sixth. It accelerated gradually until about 85 where it pulled slightly better to it's 104 mph top speed. Definitely needs a box. Anyway, I have a slug (by most standards) 2003 F250 4X4 SC 5.4 auto 3.73's, 285 BFG's and a Flowmaster exhaust. I did the exact same acceleration test to the set point on the road. My speedometer indicated 75 mph and it is about 3-4 mph slow at 70mph. Mine definitely feels faster on the interstate also. I know a diesel is meant to tow and I will not in any way bash a Cummins as his 2001 is an animal with decent fuel mileage. I was shocked though that my little 5.4 could match unladen acceleration times. And by the way, Take the Cummins or the Hemi away from the Dodge trucks, and I personally see nothing at all as an advantage over any Ford truck.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:59 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
Re: not impressed with new Cummins speed

Originally posted by dave91gt
Take the Cummins or the Hemi away from the Dodge trucks, and I personally see nothing at all as an advantage over any Ford truck.
Take the Cummins and Hemi away, and Dodge would still have a better warranty and lower price. There are lots of reasons to buy Dodge. That's why they are ahead of GM in 2500/3500 series truck sales. And yeah, you can soup up any engine and make it run great. But in stock form, the Cummins HO is still the strongest choice. You're not really comparing apples to apples.

Old 02-11-2004, 03:09 PM
AAFD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: not impressed with new Cummins speed

Originally posted by WXboy
Take the Cummins and Hemi away, and Dodge would still have a better warranty and lower price. There are lots of reasons to buy Dodge. That's why they are ahead of GM in 2500/3500 series truck sales. And yeah, you can soup up any engine and make it run great. But in stock form, the Cummins HO is still the strongest choice. You're not really comparing apples to apples.
I have already spoke about price, as for warrenty, diesel both have 100k of warrenty the same, as for tranny, dodge is now having problems with there auto, and they still can't use a exhaust brake which would give Ford/GM an advantage! Compaired to the Cummins HO the ford has more power in both catagorys!

KC

Old 02-11-2004, 03:43 PM
MJD
Elder User
Just curious. Where did you hear about the new Dodges having tranny problems?

Old 02-11-2004, 05:27 PM
TowinBob
Senior User
Re: not impressed with new Cummins speed

Quote:
Take the Cummins or the Hemi away from the Dodge trucks, and I personally see nothing at all as an advantage over any Ford truck.

Even with the Cummins and the "Hemi", Dodge still has nothing on a Ford.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:45 PM
AAFD
Junior User
Originally posted by MJD
Just curious. Where did you hear about the new Dodges having tranny problems?
I have read it on several different web sites, but it was posted by a moderator from TDR!

KC

Old 02-11-2004, 05:49 PM
MJD
Elder User
OK. Thanks for the reply. The trannys might have some bugs that need to be fixed, just like the 6.0 PSD. Dodge diesels are outselling or coming close to outselling Ford diesels in my area. Ford is pretty secure because they are the bestselling diesel nationwide, but they will keep losing sales to Dodge. Dodge will probably never outsell Ford, but it is slowly gaining sales. And as far as the "wrapper," Ford is not exactly leaps and bounds better than Dodge. Anyone who thinks that Dodges are junk and Fords are the greatest thing ever have a problem with brand loyality.

Last edited by MJD; 02-11-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:20 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dodge warranty is a joke, its a sales gimmick, just like the named engines. I mean really, if they built quality products, you'd think you wouldn't need a 7 year warranty. If you think back at one time, they did offer a 10yr. 100,000 mile warranty, I think that was 2 years ago, but that didn't last long due to the increase in warranty issues.

To tell you the truth, I don't think Dodge will ever build a decent automatic transmission unless they contract it out to someone like Allison or Eaton-Fuller.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:18 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
Re: Re: Re: not impressed with new Cummins speed

Originally posted by AAFD
I have already spoke about price, as for warrenty, diesel both have 100k of warrenty the same, as for tranny, dodge is now having problems with there auto, and they still can't use a exhaust brake which would give Ford/GM an advantage! Compaired to the Cummins HO the ford has more power in both catagorys!

KC

"The Cummins 600 Turbo Diesel is the latest generation of the legendary Cummins B series engine. Cummins has manufactured over millions of B engines to power trucks, buses, boats, agricultural equipment and industrial equipment around the world.

In these commercial applications, reliability, durability, and efficiency are essential. The Cummins 600 Turbo Diesel has 30% fewer parts than competitive V8 diesel engines. With over 1,000,000 Dodge engines built since 1988, the Cummins Turbo Diesel has earned its reputation for durability and quality. We often hear from customers with over 500,000 and even 1,000,000 miles on their Cummins-powered Dodge Rams."

-Cummins Engine Corp.

Now, which would you rather have, this or the 6.0L PSD that is so plagued with problems Ford has actually had to buy back some 500 trucks to date??

Yes you can exhaust brake the Cummins, no the auto. isn't a problem anymore and if you are worried the 6-speed manual is the best choice in a truck anyway. And no, the warranty isn't the same. We got 7 years/100,000 miles on ours. Ford couldn't even touch that and it was the final detail that made us buy Dodge instead of Ford for our work truck this time.

Now, I'm probably going to be banned from the site for saying "Dodge". But oh well...if Ford doesn't like it they should have put together a better combination. It's not my fault.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Ford D Man
New User
my neighbor is a full time dodge tranny tech at the local dodge dealer and he told me he would never ever own a dodge auto tranny, this coming from a man who owns a 3500 cummins and works on trannys all day.

btw,he also said he would never leave dodge because he is always backed up on work.

What does that tell you ?

Old 02-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
by the way he also said he would never leave dodge because he is always backed up on work ,what dose that tell you
There are plenty of mechanics from Ford and Chevy that will tell you the exact same thing.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:44 PM
sinister73
Elder User
Tells me too many people around here have too many expert friends and family, and only "hear" all kinds of bad things about Dodge....it's obvious that the only people here that have any on hands experience with them, are the same people who respect and appreciate a good hard working truck- because with or without the Cummins- that's exactly what they are.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:47 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dodge trucks have the 7/70k warranty, JUST the Cummins engine has the 100k warranty and from my experiences with Dodge trucks, you'll need every day of that 7 year warranty.

All diesels, by law are required to have a 5yr./100,000 mile warranty.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Ford D Man
New User
no its a fact and he is sitting right beside me as i send this reply .its a fact dodge cant produce a good tranny, he has been working for dodge for 30 yrs and only bought the dodge because he gets employee discounts and can fudge warrenty work when its out of warrenty, and the 6.0ltr ford carries a 5yr 100k warrenty,i have a 2003 f350, and can out pull his 3500 cummins, we both have 36 ft fifth wheel rvs and he cant keep up with my ford at all and he has a stick!!! not even off the line

Old 02-11-2004, 10:26 PM
AAFD
Junior User
Re: Re: Re: Re: not impressed with new Cummins speed

Originally posted by WXboy
"The Cummins 600 Turbo Diesel is the latest generation of the legendary Cummins B series engine. Cummins has manufactured over millions of B engines to power trucks, buses, boats, agricultural equipment and industrial equipment around the world.

In these commercial applications, reliability, durability, and efficiency are essential. The Cummins 600 Turbo Diesel has 30% fewer parts than competitive V8 diesel engines. With over 1,000,000 Dodge engines built since 1988, the Cummins Turbo Diesel has earned its reputation for durability and quality. We often hear from customers with over 500,000 and even 1,000,000 miles on their Cummins-powered Dodge Rams."

-Cummins Engine Corp.

Now, which would you rather have, this or the 6.0L PSD that is so plagued with problems Ford has actually had to buy back some 500 trucks to date??

Yes you can exhaust brake the Cummins, no the auto. isn't a problem anymore and if you are worried the 6-speed manual is the best choice in a truck anyway. And no, the warranty isn't the same. We got 7 years/100,000 miles on ours. Ford couldn't even touch that and it was the final detail that made us buy Dodge instead of Ford for our work truck this time.

Now, I'm probably going to be banned from the site for saying "Dodge". But oh well...if Ford doesn't like it they should have put together a better combination. It's not my fault.
I have owned two cummins, they are having problems with the new 48re tranny and you can't get a exhaust brake yet for the new auto with out voiding the warrenty( I would say that is an problem), most truck buyers are getting auto's by far, dodge has had an tranny and fuel pump issue for years!!! I have spent enough time on the dodge forums to know that for a fact and the fact that my 01 auto was slipping when I sold it!!! Yes ford has had some problems but of the 4 new PSD that I know of NO one has had any problems with them!

How many dodge have had new tranny put in them by dodge or buy the owner over the years? A lot more than 500!!

Cummins is a great engine, but the PSD and the Dmax are also good power plants, and over the last few years and many to come each will make improvements to put them on top, now dodge is on top, but, buy the sounds of things ford may be on top in the fall!

KC

Quick Reply: not impressed with new Cummins speed