Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V10, Triton V10 or Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 06:33 PM
drafthorse
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V10, Triton V10 or Diesel

We looked at F350's today. Can anyone tell us from experience if it is worth spending the extra $6500 to purchase a Diesel? We will just be hauling our horses locally with this truck. After readingthe other posts about V10's we're a little concerned that this engine might be prone to problems. Is this the norm?
And, what is the difference if there is one between the V10 and the V10 Triton. Thanks so much for your input.

Old 02-07-2004, 07:18 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) No difference between a V10 and a Triton V10- they're the same engine.
2) Here's where you'll find me disagreeing with a lot of folks here. Unless you've had a diesel before, or you're driving 25-30,000 miles per year, or you're CONSTANTLY towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 lbs., then stay away from the diesel. If you don't need it, then why spend the extra 5 grand? Yes, the 6.0 has had problems in the past, but I think you'll find most of them cleared up by now. But with any diesel, there are additional maintenance costs. Oil changes run $70-80, for example. Some folks on this site will tell you that you MUST have a diesel, but then they're real good at spending other people's money. I've never been comfortable doing that.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:12 AM
bighogman
Junior User
I don't think we are allowed to make V10 vs. Diesel comparisons on the V10 thread.

I have a V10, CC, 4X4, with a long bed. When we pull our travel trailer, we gross around 13,000 pounds. I have never been passed by any other RV'er. When we are in the Sierra Nevadas, my vehicle will simply blow the doors off of them - no comparison. I have 3.73 gears and I get around 12.5 mpg surburban driving, 14.3 mpg at 70 mph freeway and 9-10 mpg RV'ing. I agree that other types of engines will perform better when the gross combined weight is closer to 16000 - 20000 pounds. I do often get ridiculed for my choice of engine, but I love the sport of passing.

I don't know your type of terrain or your GVW that you carry. I do know that the V10 equipped Super Duties have idential GVW ratings as Fords other engine offering.

The V10 is very reliable. A common problem is the radiators blow about 125,000 miles, I will change mine at 100,000.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:21 AM
drafthorse
New User
oops, sorry

I am new here, and know nothing about trucks, so sorry if I offended protocol by asking about the diesel. Thanks for the correction, bighogman. I just want to make the right choice in this purchase. It's a jungle out there. thanks for your responses.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:53 AM
whomrig
Elder User
1956MarkII is correct on all counts, also, deisel fuel sems to be going up in price (in San Jose, Ca) anyway..15 to 20 cents more per gallon....I have the V10 and I really like it

Old 02-08-2004, 10:51 PM
V10DoubleTow
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

We pull doubles with our V10 and love it. We pull a 28 foot fifth wheel and a 23 foot boat behind the fifth wheel. Towing about 13,500 pounds when loaded. And yes, it's legal in California, Arizona and Utah; the usual places we tow. The rig is at the maximum legal length at 75 feet from bumper to prop. There are some more mods I want to do to it; i.e. Superchips 1715, and change my gears to 4.10's. Have 3.73's now and added 35" tires; now it's like stock with 3.56's. Maybe I should go to 4.33's. Anybody towing similar weight? Any suggestions on gearing?

Last edited by V10DoubleTow; 02-08-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:55 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently traded my 99' PSD,auto,4x4, SC, DRW,9' dump in for a 04' F-350 XLT SC,6-speed,4x4,DRW,V-10,8' bed and it is a great truck, not been back to the dealer even once, does everything the PSD did, (except dump) only a couple mpg less then the PSD and a hec of alot more fun to drive .

Now with the $5 to 6 k difference between the motors I cant justify the diesels extra cost.

Buy the V-10, 6-speed if you can find one, with the 4:30 LS rear, you will like this truck !

I would go with the 4:30's either way auto or 6-speed, it is a good gear ratio for a working truck.

Buy what ya want !

10 burnin,-6 turnin, sometimes 4 smokin !

Later,,,,,,,,,,,Mark

Old 10-30-2005, 06:55 PM
adwjoe
New User
I have the 2003 F250 Super Duty Super Cab with the full size bed and with the V10 and I love it. Like one of the comments in another post, I don't get passed by anyone else towing their RV.

We tow a 25' Travel Trailer and it holds speed even when climbing. Cars get out of our way going up the mountainsides here in Oregon.
I cannot see any advantage to the deisel especially in light of the current gas prices and higher maintenance costs. In our area regular gasoline is going for $2.35- $2.65/ gallon while deisel is still at $3.19/ gallon. As with one of the other owners I have done a couple of mods that have helped the gas mileage. I have installed a K&N intake system including a Helix Tower Power and a Flowmaster exhaust system. I also have a tonneau cover on the back. Pulling the trailer I average 10MPG but on the highway without the trailer I get 16MPG. That beats any of the other full size trucks I have ever owned.
I will be interested to see what some of the comments are on problems with the V10 as so far I'm totally pleased with the performance of mine. I plan on installing mandrel bent headers in place of the stock headers as soon as my truck goes out of warranty to let it breath just a little bit more!

Old 10-30-2005, 08:28 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bighogman
I don't think we are allowed to make V10 vs. Diesel comparisons on the V10 thread.
Intelligent discussions (like this one so far...) are fine. It's when things get out of control and name calling (etc. etc.) starts that the thread goes to hell in a hand basket. Those type of "discussions" are better suited for less reputable forums.

drafthorse...welcome to FTE! You will usually find more threads about problems and challenges V10 owner face than not here at FTE. That's because this is a troubleshooting board and a place where folks can go to learn how to fix things and prevent problems that reoccur in the V10.

Don't let it fool you into thinking, however, that the V10 is a bad engine. It most certainly isn't.

Last edited by Monsta; 10-30-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:56 PM
SuperdutyRob
Senior User
I really enjoy my v10. I have a 99, and it is prone to most of the problems you hear about with the v10s. The spark plug blow out and the broken exhaust studs, just to name a few of the more common ones. These problems are pretty much done and over with on the newer v10s (2002 and up). So if you are worried about them, just purchase a newer v10, and you can avoid some of these issues. the power and throttle response on these engines are great.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
1) No difference between a V10 and a Triton V10- they're the same engine.
2) Here's where you'll find me disagreeing with a lot of folks here. Unless you've had a diesel before, or you're driving 25-30,000 miles per year, or you're CONSTANTLY towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 lbs., then stay away from the diesel. If you don't need it, then why spend the extra 5 grand? Yes, the 6.0 has had problems in the past, but I think you'll find most of them cleared up by now. But with any diesel, there are additional maintenance costs. Oil changes run $70-80, for example. Some folks on this site will tell you that you MUST have a diesel, but then they're real good at spending other people's money. I've never been comfortable doing that.
Jeff is right on with this post and many previous diesel owners like myself are very pleased with the new V10.

In the past I chose the diesel engine to get the max tow ratings, now with the new 3 valve V10, you can get the same tow ratings as the diesel.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:49 AM
igotoneforya
Elder User
Drafthorse-
You said you know nothing about trucks but you are on the right site! With that said, I recommend you get the V10. If you are not a truck person, the gas is much easier in maintenance and operation. Then toss in the increased purchase price and increased $$ per fill up and the V10 looks like a steal! My wife had a Diesel Jetta and we just got rid of it (back to gas, still a turbo) due to fuel costs. Now I can get gas at 2.39 while diesel is still at 2.89-2.99. That fuel cost eats away all the savings of the diesel. We bought the car when diesel was cheaper than gas and the motor was selling at a discount, not the case now. Good luck!

V10DoubleTow-
3.73s and 35s and still towing that load? How much decrease did you notice towing all that weight? I have been ridiculed before for not changing gears when I lifted my X. I have a V10 with 6inches lift and 35s and still the 3.73 gearing. I was told that the tranny would not last with these changes but she has been great. I will say that I do not tow much and like driving fast so the increased tire size allow me to run 90 at just over 2000 rpms. My Bronco had 3.43s and 35s and this is much better than that which is all I have to compare it to.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:15 AM
vtmdsm25
Senior User
Originally Posted by SuperdutyRob
I really enjoy my v10. I have a 99, and it is prone to most of the problems you hear about with the v10s. The spark plug blow out and the broken exhaust studs, just to name a few of the more common ones. These problems are pretty much done and over with on the newer v10s (2002 and up). So if you are worried about them, just purchase a newer v10, and you can avoid some of these issues. the power and throttle response on these engines are great.
SDRob - have you experienced the spark plug or the exhaust stud problems? The spark plug problem is preventable, but I wonder how to prevent the exh stud problem. What other repair issues have you faced? I just purchased a 99F250 V10 4x4 that has the snow prep pkg and the camper tow pkg. I figure with these two packages that I have little worry about wearing this truck out.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
drafthorse, I won't even bother to repeat what everyone else has already said. But if you want an engine you can just shut off when you want (no turbo spinning), find fuel easy, idle for hours, and not spend a lot of money maintaining, get a gasser. Use the extra $6500 for add-on goodies, or use it to get the Lariat instead of the XLT if you weren't already.

I think the broken exhaust studs are a FEATURE (I'm a long-time computer guy, so any "bug" is a "feature")... I can't wait for them to start breaking - that way I can put on headers and the wife will think it's a "repair" and not an "upgrade"

Since you ask about the extra $6500, I'm assuming you are buying new. The 3-valve V10 will definitely do the job.

art k.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:42 AM
vtmdsm25
Senior User
exhaust studs

Originally Posted by krewat
I think the broken exhaust studs are a FEATURE (I'm a long-time computer guy, so any "bug" is a "feature")... I can't wait for them to start breaking - that way I can put on headers and the wife will think it's a "repair" and not an "upgrade"
I have thought the same thing, except that I have to fool myself into thinking it is a business expense.

Quick Reply: V10, Triton V10 or Diesel