Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chevy vortecs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 04:38 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chevy vortecs

I personally think that chevy is killing them selves by the vortec series engines. Read through this and all you hear is fuel pump, and blown engines, low or no oil pressure, anti-freeze in the oil.

http://destinations.motorhome.com/sc...sages=262#7276

Boy am i glad that i only own one chevy, on which the motor has alreayd blow because of the antifreeze.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Seifferlein
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The vortec part doesn't have anything to do with the problems that the engines have. Vortecs have been around since 96 and the things that qualify it as a vortec are the result of great engineering. The heads and the complete roller engine are what make it a vortec. They may have problems, but the vortec parts are great.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:30 AM
turbo TED
Senior User
78fordman: As i have said time n time again after working in the
parts industry for over a decade now the worst horror stories i
have been witness to have been 80% to 90% all GM, & when the
parts stores stock 75% all GM hardparts not acceories this in turn will easly prove the law of supply & demand. Hey buddy you only
touched the tip of the iceberg on all the gripes i have seen. I do
belive that thru my influence i have helped convert some gm fans to the obvious foreign or domestic choice FORD.
YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK FORD BUDDY. turbo ted

Old 02-07-2004, 01:39 PM
sweetner
New User
I don't know which is better. Coming from a ford family, and now owning three chevys, I have seen the good in both. The early vortec is a great engine. I have a TBI 350 with 250,000 miles on original motor. Now the ford 400, well that wasn't fords best idea. On the other hand my 6.5TD is no powerhouse compared to fords PS Diesel. I love them motors. But for going down the road I would take my 6.5 over the 7.3. Working, I would take the 7.3 over the 6.5 TD. The 6.5 has many issues with the pmd, the reason of the injector pump problems. The reason that part houses have so many chevy parts is because they can get them and there are many more of them out there. Try to get a tie rod for at 74 f100, we never could find the right new one. Went to all the part stores, and Ford dealers. The ford dealer didn't even list it. A part for a chevy is so much easier to get. Don't get me wrong, I am in the process of getting a 7.3 diesel. I love them both, but for different reasons.

Old 02-10-2004, 04:45 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is plenty of blame to go around. Look at the V-10 and 4.6-5.4 fourms here and you will see some problems. Sparkplugs blowing out of the heads is a Ford "better idea". Coolant leaks at the intake manifold seems to be a problem for the General lately. Piston slap seems to happen to both GM and Ford. It may be due to "low friction" designs for CAFE.

Jim

Old 02-12-2004, 02:03 PM
turbo TED
Senior User
jimandmandy: Well this is how it goes if do this by the numbers ,
[correctly] as i mentioned previously just from my work experience this is the statistical analysis i have witnessed [ in no specific order] oil pans on the 305s & on the 350s that will not stop leaking or seeping,various transmissions that leak or seep & you wind up pouring the guts out thur the vale body,casting sand in the blocks & then tearing apart the cooling systems, keeping a set of valve seals in a 305 or 350; that do not go bad in a short
period of time due poor oil control,now this one is concerning
to me 4 to 5 fuel pumps to find one good one & these are the delco oe pumps,alternators that with less than 25k to 35k ignite
in the vehicles & over charge batteries & then they erupt also not to mention all of the electrical problems lights,smart stics,
hazzards switches ect, & on 4.3 v6s,305s,350s,6.0 v8s mantaning oil pressure to a safe level seem to be a job in it self,
ecm's frying out or being fryed out, corrosion of major alumnium
parts on alot of GM products & the dex cool not doing its job,
the high torque permnant magnetic starters at 25k to 38k on them, motor mounts on most of the GM line up are all pretty bad.
Now this is all i could come up with quiclly not all of the horror
stories i have seen, just 3 more things 1st of all GM does not even offer a V-10, 2nd most of the technology mentioned above
is vortech related, & last but not least just try to change the
starter on a NORTHSTAR engine [trick is you have to find it first].
The problems you mentioned with fords all seem to be less in
quantinty after all ford does produce 15% to 20% more trucks
than chevy.
turbo ted

Old 02-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If Chevy was/is that bad, don't you think they'd be out of business?

Old 02-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Seifferlein
Senior User
Turbo Ted- if those problems were that common accross the country, GM would have closed long ago.

Old 02-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
The problems you mentioned with fords all seem to be less in
quantinty after all ford does produce 15% to 20% more trucks
than chevy.

The Chevrolet and GMC lines combine to sell more trucks than the Ford line does. Don't think Ford has any less problems than Chevy & GMC do.

Last edited by EV2DEMON; 02-13-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:03 PM
turbo TED
Senior User
Seifferlein: You may want to do a search of your choice on lemon
law problems & class action law suits on gm from auroras to
trail blazers or what ever you want. And yes this quantity of problems do exist [no perticular year just as a whole] buddy you just know how well we truely have it with ford. The GM die hards
are the only victim in this arena some are silent true GM die hards
and some either become gripers or they just say the truth! Now do not get me wrong I have had some ford issues also but none
at this magnitude. turbo ted

Old 02-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Wes the drunk
New User
Hi all. I'm new to this place but would like to chime in. I am a Chevy guy but I would like to have a new F-350 diesel. After reading all of the stories of the problems the new 6.0 is having and Ford buying back trucks, I'm lost as to what to do. I feel Chevy has let me down with an ugly over priced truck. I'm not interested in a Dodge. I want a new Ford.

Old 02-14-2004, 08:42 AM
turbo TED
Senior User
Hey guys look at the site its not just me saying these things
when the owners are saying something similar or worse its just
ther words. http://destinations.motorhome.com/s...ssages=262#7276
& the numbers i mentioned are ford f 150 VS chevy 1/2 ton not as a whole, if that were the case combining F150/F250/F350 those
numbers may just edge out the general. I do not know if the
problem numbers are the same look at comsumer reports on how
ford & gm stack up [usaly one or two notches above] in most areas.
turbo ted

Old 02-15-2004, 03:58 AM
MEPR
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
realy GMs dont impress me much anymore. There are alot of horror stories related to them and such. The parts percentages does pose and interesting throught train. I know that i have to wait to for parts vary often when i order stuff for my f-150. I know the 4.9L is rare but its not rare enough where places just dont stock parts. whith that train of though it might be becouse the 4.9L is just so tough its not cost effective to stock parts all the time...

Old 02-15-2004, 08:06 PM
plourde2002
Junior User
Last I checked, Fords of various shapes, sizes, and years have had just as many problems......if you own a 97-late 98 4.2 liter V6, you can bet your life savings that the engine will blow due to coolant in the oil...bad timing cover gasket....Many of the 87-96 fords have new oil pans due to the originals rusting from the inside out....watch out for projectile spark plugs like previously warned.....if you took all the burnt out spark plug coils from the coil-on-plug modualr V8's. they'd reach halfway to the moon....Every Manufacturer has had and will have problems....Hell, the '04 f150s are already having semi-major computer problems from what I'm reading around here....Everytime a technology is updated or a design is changed, there are problems..unfortunately the only way for the makers to find these problems is to sell a few thousand and wait for the reports....Then there's the problem that FORD doesn't even know what the problem with my truck is, let alone how to fix it....

Old 02-16-2004, 09:31 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Originally posted by turbo TED
Hey guys look at the site its not just me saying these things
when the owners are saying something similar or worse its just
ther words. http://destinations.motorhome.com/s...ssages=262#7276
& the numbers i mentioned are ford f 150 VS chevy 1/2 ton not as a whole, if that were the case combining F150/F250/F350 those
numbers may just edge out the general. I do not know if the
problem numbers are the same look at comsumer reports on how
ford & gm stack up [usaly one or two notches above] in most areas.
turbo ted
Man are you blind???

Just do a search on THIS forum alone, check out the diesel forums.a good porion of threads have to do with buybacks and lemonlaws.. go over to the expy forum and find out about the problems with the 03 Expys.. many complaints.

And Ted go to consumeraffairs.com do some searching there under ford.. Please tell me again, that ford has less problems than GM??

Ron

00 Excursion Limited V-10 4x4

Quick Reply: Chevy vortecs