Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

First Waxing, Any Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 05:59 PM
psubrian
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Waxing, Any Suggestions

It's time to put my first coat of wax on the Lightning. I did not opt for the $200 paint sealant option at the dealership. Any recommendations on a paint sealant or brand of wax I should use? I want to start this off right.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:11 PM
SVT JOE
Freshman User
Its good you didnt fall for thge dealer paint sealent, its cheap wax that washes off after one car wash(used to work at a dealer). I would recomend Adams polishes, thats what i use on my lightning. I have tried just about everything else and I am happier with the adams results

Joe

Old 02-06-2004, 06:58 PM
mitch5170
Senior User
Not an expert by any means, but I do suggest that you "Claybar" the entire truck before any wax application. the claybar will remove any contaminants so they wont get sealed in under the wax.

products?
I hear Zaino stuff is excellent!

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Also like Joe said above...Adams polishes are good stuff too! I have seen some of Joe's detailing work, and armed with Adams...its rocks!

Old 02-08-2004, 02:24 PM
SVT JOE
Freshman User
Mitch is right, use the clay bar, you would amazed how much stuff can be on the paint. Even though your truck is new the paint will have alot of contamination in it.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:06 PM
psubrian
Freshman User
Thanks. The Zaino Brothers polish sounds great. I'll order some. I must admit I am a little nervous about trying the clay bar. Doesn't it leave tiny scrathes from dragging the contaminants across the paint?

Old 02-08-2004, 07:54 PM
mitch5170
Senior User
No it wont, when using the claybar you also use a lubricant like a quick detail type of spray, so it picks up the crud and will not scratch the paint....assuming its not big chunks of dirt!

wash the truck real good, then after it dries "Feel" the surface
then claybar a small section, and feel the difference! its amazing stuff! After you do a section, work the clay (knead it) so a fresh spot is used for the next section.

claybar also works well for removing paint overspray!