Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The new Dodge Commercial

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Shinoda
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Dodge Commercial

Wow, I just saw the new Dodge RAM commecial, apparently it claims three things that make it better than the new Ford F-150:

1. It has the "HEMI" yippeee
2. It has an infinity Stereo
3. It has 20" Rims

So apparently their truck is better because it has a 20" rims, which seem really practical on a truck, I'm sure a 2-foot Wing and perhaps some racing stripes and some DODGE stickers all over it would make it better too??? I'm sure 20" rims with lo-pro's fair really well offroad, hehe

And of course we all buy a new truck for the Stereo, irregardless of its bland, cheap interior, its apparently "better" because it has a brand-name stereo in it.

And of course the HEMI, the topic of so much controversy, which according to Dodge is better than any other motor in the world, or so it would seem. Of course the fact that Dodge is NOT legendary for its transmission quality never factors in there at all, its all about the HEMI. And even though they have yet to get any sort of award or recognition for this "be all and end all of motors" its better because its the HEMI.

Wow, what a commercial.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Budly
Senior User
What the hell do you expect them to say? "we used to have crappy tranny's, the hemi sucks, 20 inch rims are a waste, the CD player is over rated, and our interior is more bland than Martha Stewart home cooking show"? Good god dont cry a river, its called marketing, and its not like the Infinty Stereo is stock, or the rims or the hemi, its all AVAILABLE (meaning if the person should want it they will get it for a price). All they are trying to do is convince sumbody to buy their product so they can make money, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER BUSINESS IN THE WORLD! These forums are ridiculous, everybody is looking to bash dodge for everything they do yet ford can do no wrong. I know this is a ford truck enthusiasts sight but at least be fair in your judgements.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Shinoda
Senior User
I didn't say the Ford commercial was good, I just think the Dodge one is worse They don't mention towing capacity, internal comfort, noise, handling, anything practical, that is what I'm driving at, they talk about the Stereo, 20" Rims and the friggin HEMI, none of which, except perhaps the motor has ANYTHING to do with how the truck feels, operates or caters to the drivers needs/wants. Get my point now?

Old 02-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Budly
Senior User
9 out of 10 people in the USA have no idea how to read specs, let along listen to them. They do however know that Infinty is a reliable brand of stereo, 20" rims are in style and face it or not the HEMI is also in style. they do what they need to to sell rides.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Shinoda
Senior User
Yeah "Rides" not trucks.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:50 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Budly
9 out of 10 people in the USA have no idea how to read specs, let along listen to them. They do however know that Infinty is a reliable brand of stereo, 20" rims are in style and face it or not the HEMI is also in style. they do what they need to to sell rides.

HEMI IS IN STYLE?

Old 02-04-2004, 11:11 AM
78custom
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of commercials anyone see the New gt commercial during the superbowl? It was awsome and gave me goosebumps!

Old 02-04-2004, 01:31 PM
fdf
New User
At least Dodge didn't tell a BOLD FACED LIE like ford did...Doug

Old 02-04-2004, 03:49 PM
jcreality
Senior User
ladies............ ladies!

Jeez, men! The guy was just rippin' on a commercial! Marketing or not, it was a COMMERCIAL. And him Slamming the claim that such features make a truck better than another.

My gosh......this is a FORUM! Just cuz a guy, girl, tough guy or wimp wants to comment on ANYTHING remotely relating to his possibly-beloved Ford, what's wrong with him sharing his point of view? That is what makes a forum NOT be "ridiculous". Just as the typical buying community does not LIKE (generally) to hear specs and fine details...> the typical forum community also does not tend to enjoy limitations on what's appropriate to say or not say. If it is REAL bad, the moderators can whack it. But let's not lose the love, eh?

I'm really not trying to flame anyone, or claim rights to adjucate any POVs, but c'mmon. Howabout you just clarify to something you disagree with, and explain why it just may have been appropriate?

Either way.......YEAH!! I DID see that GT commercial......and MAN!

WAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Where in the performance world do 20" rims come into play? Not in NASCAR. NHRA, IHRA, Rally Racing, Mud Racing, Hill Climbing, Formula 1, Truck Pulling, and heck even the sport compact guys bolt 15" rims on for their driven wheels so they can run slicks.

I would rather buy the truck I liked and then bolt the 20's on it if I were to like that style of wheel. Ever replace 20" low pro tires? That is expensive.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:46 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Originally posted by fdf
At least Dodge didn't tell a BOLD FACED LIE like ford did...Doug
No lies were told by Ford.........it would have been nice if the Dodge dealer had told my father that his transmission would have failed less than a month after he bought it BRAND NEW. He learned the hard way about Dodge truck transmissions and so now he "Dodges" Dodge trucks.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
What do you mean no lies were told by Ford? They flat out staged the comercial with the F-150 out running the Hemi Ram knowing full well that in reality the F-150 didn't have a chance at beating the Ram.

If your dads transmission failed one month after it was brand new, I'm sure it was replaced under warranty at no charge to him. You think no Fords have ever had major failures within weks of being new? Better not visit the 6.0 Power Stroke forum on this site.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:54 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
He didn't even bother with the warranty, the dealer was no help, he went to a Chevy then. Ask him now and he'll tell you that a Dodge is just a toy for those who have a lot of extra money to spend on parts.

The Dodge is not as high and mighty as some make it out to be. The only ones you see in the 6.0 are the ones who have problems. There are tons and tons more that have been satisfied with theirs.

The 6L problems are not as big as the Dodge transmission flops!

Old 02-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Shinoda
Senior User
Which commercial is this you speak of with the HEMI VS F-150, I have yet to see it. The one I have seen is the one with the F-150 being quiet with the "new steel", towing capacity and other practical facts. Please, fill me in on this "hemi smoking" commercial. The only HEMI commercials that I've seen are the one I mentioned initially and the one with the hicks wishing they had one while they worked a burger joint and had the two dodge trucks racing themselves.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:58 PM
rockclimber
Junior User
Shinoda, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who prefers the 5.4L 3 valve over the HEMI. Here's a recent write-up from Wards Auto:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAIMLERCHRYSLER
5.7L HEMI MAGNUM OHV V-8

No other business rewards the latest design quite like the auto business.

So one of the surest tests of a 10 Best Engines winner's “staying power” is how well it can fight off brand-new engines — particularly when they also happen to be direct competitors in terms of size, cylinder count and market segment. When an incumbent winner outshines newer rivals it battles directly in the market, it's a testimony to its inherent goodness.

If you accept that premise, then consider the ringing endorsement earned by DaimlerChrysler AG's 5.7L Hemi Magnum OHV V-8. No engine's ever had to run a tougher gauntlet to secure a second appearance on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list.

For 2004, the thunderous Hemi had to beat back not only 23 of the 32 engines nominated for a 10 Best position, but two wickedly competent V-8s launched directly against the Hemi in the market: Ford Motor Co.'s redesigned 5.4L Triton SOHC V-8 and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.'s all-new “Endurance” 5.6L DOHC V-8.

And although both the Triton and Endurance V-8s are unlikely to leave the owners of their respective pickup trucks feeling shortchanged, the simple fact is neither could surpass the Hemi — either in raw numbers or on-the-road punch.

Horsepower and torque ratings have assumed an almost religious importance in the pickup segment. Although Endurance and Triton engineers had the advantage of knowing the target, neither engine came to market with a number to top the Hemi.

It proves the dominance designed into the Hemi right out of the box. The new Triton makes 300 hp. The all-new Endurance, 305. Hemi: 345 horses.

Two critical new pickup V-8s hit the market 40 horses behind the Hemi? Either those 40 ponies were too hard for Ford and Nissan engineers to generate, or somebody in product planning's asleep at the switch. It might be argued Ford and Nissan's pickup-truck business plans don't hinge on horsepower dominance over Dodge, but coming up short by that much is difficult to accept for any reason.

Talking torque, not much separates the three, and in fact the Nissan V-8 has a meager edge. Endurance: 379 lb.-ft. (514 Nm). Hemi: 375 lb.-ft. (508 Nm). Triton: 365 lb.-ft. (495 Nm). So at least it's an even field in terms of twist.

But beyond the numbers, 10 Best testers believed the Hemi didn't just beat its new V-8 rivals. It again deserves to be called one of the best of all engines because of its real-world performance and just-right NVH and driveability.

Stick your foot down, the Hemi hauls immediately. Roll down the window, the Hemi bellows perfectly (if perhaps a bit too flamboyantly). Hook up a trailer, the Hemi tugs eagerly.

The Hemi fronts great numbers, but it's also got soul, a commodity hard to generate in this age of electronically managed might.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply: The new Dodge Commercial