Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The Expedition vs. the Honda Pilot (I'm Serious)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:11 PM
New_Mexica
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Expedition vs. the Honda Pilot (I'm Serious)

Hey all,
I need a new car. I have a 1996 Ford explorer that I loove. If I could just redo the minor damage from a blowout to the outside, I would keep my Explorer forever. But I am having a baby soon and I need one with a third seat. I'm stuck between the Ford Expedition and the Honda Pilot. I love the ExP because its the Big Boy (the Excursion is the Fat Daddy, if you're curious) and I trust Ford having had the Explorer. However, the Pilot is sleek and also has the third seat. Plus I think the temptation to take over my car will not be as strong for my husband with the Pilot.
What do you think?
Also, whats the lifespan of an ExP? Meaning do you know anyone who's had one die on them or have you ever heard HORROR stories about blown this or malfunctional thats with the Expedition?
Thanks ; )

Old 01-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Abald6
New User
I am a Pilot owner and looking to be a new F150 owner. Check out www.hondapilot.org

Old 01-28-2004, 01:09 AM
gilraine
Tuned
the pilot is the ugliest thing in existence, bar none... also the expy will be much safer if involved in a collision...

Old 01-28-2004, 12:39 PM
jcreality
Senior User
I've seen MUCH uglier than the Pilot.....PLUS it's a Honda, which are always bulletproof. BUT, the FORD being built on a truck platform instead of a sedan's.......
I'd tend to suppose the Ford would be much tougher beneath the skin......'specially if you ever plan to tow with it, or try to load it with something other than groceries and people.

Abald6, ha ha ha.......I thought of you as SOON as I read her post for this thread, and was hoping you'd see it.

But to give you my suggestion, Miss.....
Prior to falling for the new F150......I SWORE by Honda, and would reccommend just about anything they built (for respective class-buyers). But now, it'd be a hard decision.....similar to what you are facing. If you're just commuting, the Pilot will very likely handle better and (maybe?) get better mileage. I've never personally compared them.....but the Pilot will likely be more car-like, whereas the Ford will be more truck-like. But don't forget, SOME trucks are getting to be pretty nimble too.
Good luck.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:58 PM
78custom
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the new Expys have a power sliding third seat

Old 01-29-2004, 09:20 AM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is that the Honda Pilot is unit body, not body on frame like the Expedition. It's smaller, and you can't get a V-8. It won't tow as much, but will get better mileage. It will probably have better resale value and may be more reliable, although I can't say for sure. The Pilot is, as was mentioned above, more car like, the Expedition is a real truck. As for safety, do you want to be in the vehile designed to be crushed, or the vehicle designed to do the crushing? Another consideration, do you want your money to go to a profit center in Japan or Dearborn? Also, I expect that, since you've come to an all Ford site, you won't be too surprised that most opinions here might favor the Ford.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
The exp is far roomier esp. with the 3rd seat, and Im sure the 3rd seat itself is bigger in the exp. although Ive never actually been in a Pilot..Exp probably tows twice what the Pilot can.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:40 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by jcreality
PLUS it's a Honda, which are always bulletproof.
Honda MOTORS have always been bulletproof... however, they have managed to come out with some not-so-reliable platforms a few times in the past.

Witness the 88-90 Acura legend (also, I think, known as the Sterling in England/US). Great motor, trannies toast themselves easily, brakes are too small, electrical problems, you name it.

If I could have found a use for the motor from a '90 Acura I had in my yard, I wouldn't have sent it to the crusher...

As to the Pilot, yeah, but it's not THAT ugly...

Check every publication you can for reviews (go to the library), and if it's a first or even second-year model, STAY AWAY - no matter WHAT manufacturer it is...

Old 01-29-2004, 12:56 PM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchased a 97' XLT Expy. 5.4, almost 2 yrs ago now,,it had 88 k on it then and now has about 112 k, my girlfriend drives it,, it has been a very good ride, I put Rancho shocks on it, 2 new tires, and one of the CV boots was replaced under warranty like 4 months ago, thats all that has been done to it since I have owned it. It doesent rattle or squeak, wears the tires good, and so far the best mileage I got was 15.7 MPG.

They seem very sensitive to tire pressure, when the pressure is right, they handle ok, if its low, they kinda have a floaty type feeling, and you do notice it.

Overall it is a great ride with comfort and room to carry lots of stuff.

Later,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mark

Old 01-29-2004, 04:11 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Have you considered another Explorer. They now have 3 row seating and are similar in size to the Pilot. The pilot is 5.2 inches wider but 1.5 inches shorter. The advantages of the Explorer over the Expedition are that it is lighter and will be quicker and get much better mileage. It is about $5000 less than a similar Expedition. The new Explorers are much more comfy and roomier than previous Explorers. Of course the Expedition is reeomier than Explorer and will tow much more if you need it to and has a better third row, although the Explorer isn't too that bad, better than the Hondas as far as leg room. I don't know much about the Pilot, I just wanted to make sure you hadn't ruled out another Explorer since it is more compareable to the Pilot.
Here's a good comparison of the 3.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/Suvs/exp...63|13278|14019

Old 01-29-2004, 04:19 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
Honda makes two SUVs I think. One looks like an SUV, and the other looks like something from a third-world country. It's hideous. Which one is the Pilot?

Old 01-29-2004, 04:23 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
The Element is the spare parts bin thrown together looking thing, the Pilot looks more SUV ish, of course there is also the CR-V compact SUV, similar size as the Escape.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:31 PM
User 050423
Mountain Pass
The ugly one is the element. Hideous thing!

Almost as bad as the Toyota Scion.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:43 PM
jcreality
Senior User
or the Nissan Titan!

hehehe

Old 01-29-2004, 10:49 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure what part of NM you live in, but I would stick with the Ford. Either the Explorer or the Exp will make an excellent member of the family. Both have 3rd row seating and with the new rear independent suspension...they are very safe.

The Honda is a good product, but in NM with all the mountain highways and steep hill grades...the Ford will do better.

Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: The Expedition vs. the Honda Pilot (I'm Serious)