Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The Corbra Kills

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Fast Ford & Fast women
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Corbra Kills

I know that ford is still doing things with the cobra name the new mustangs, good cars, but a let down compared to the origonal why does for not bring back the legend the 427 give the corvette a run for its 50,000 dollar price tag?

Old 01-25-2004, 07:01 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I do not think the 427 side oiler will meet emissions requirments. I would love to see ford come out with the 427 side oiler, the best motor that ever came out of ford. I would waste any car on the street today.

Old 01-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exactly. Emissions are what holds things up all the time.

A while back Motortrend, or Car & Driver, R&T did an expose on a "Boss 351 Mustang" with a V10 rumbling under the hood. Completely one-off, prototypical and everything. In their limited testing they had already burned through a T-56, 3 clutches, and a couple of rear ends. I forget its power numbers - but if they put THAT motor in....

Old 01-25-2004, 09:35 PM
gilraine
Tuned
horsepower is easy to make, when compared to building a transmission that will stand up to that power for 100k...

Old 01-26-2004, 07:06 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 340 Likes on 207 Posts
Exactly. And as someone else said, the big block engines would not make good daily drivers in a Cobra. Too much cam shake, terrible fuel economy, bad emmissions, and too much weight. Ford simply placed a supercharger on the 4.6 and the result is a car that you can drive everyday, has a factory warranty, smokes Corvettes and costs 20K less. Genius if you ask me.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
Ford simply placed a supercharger on the 4.6 and the result is a car that you can drive everyday, has a factory warranty, smokes Corvettes and costs 20K less. Genius if you ask me.
Smokes Vettes? Pretty bold statement. The Cobra might be equal to the Z06's acceleration. Depends on traction and drivers. I'd hardly say it would smoke one though. Put a Cobra on a road course against even a base Vette, much less a Z06, and I guarantee the Cobra would be the one getting smoked.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Seifferlein
Senior User
I think Ford needs to bring back the big block to a car, and the Cobra is perfect for it. Besides, I hear that chevy is working on bringing back the BB 427 for the Corvette--- I don't know if it is true or not. Sure, there are some downsides to big blocks, but nothing that can't be overcome.
I am kind of tired of hearing about supercharged/turboed/etc. small displacement engines. I'd like to see a new big block pushing out raw numbers. It would be really neat. But I suppose all it would be is "neat" or nostalgic; not practical.
IMO- its amazing what they have done to smaller displacement engines. They make all these small engines that can push out great HP/torque numbers that ----back a few decades--- would have taken a modified big block to get. However, I think car companies should apply their efforts and technology to larger displacement engines so they can get outrageously high HP and torque numbers and still have a reliable fuel efficient engine---Of course, non of that is practical or necessary, but it sure would be neat.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:30 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
Originally posted by WXboy
Exactly. And as someone else said, the big block engines would not make good daily drivers in a Cobra. Too much cam shake, terrible fuel economy, bad emmissions, and too much weight. Ford simply placed a supercharger on the 4.6 and the result is a car that you can drive everyday, has a factory warranty, smokes Corvettes and costs 20K less. Genius if you ask me.
Sorry WXboy,

No Supercharged 4.6 has nor will smoke a vette Z-06, although you are correct about the price tag. On another note, I saw a sig that stated something about a lightning being a corvette killer????? You can be proud of owning a Mustang Cobra w/or w/o the supercharger and a lighting, but lets not be rediculous. Nothing ford has on the plate in the sport car field will compete with the corvette. Having said that I think the Lightning is more of a marvel than the Cobra. That truck is quick

Old 01-26-2004, 09:16 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 340 Likes on 207 Posts
Can you do a simple modification to the Vette like a pulley swap and run 11.9 through the quarter? I don't think so. I lived in Bowling Green near the Vette plant for years. Even went out to the track a few times. And I'm standing by my statement that a Cobra will smoke a Vette and costs nearly half. You should see the looks on those guys' faces when they see that Mustang go by with the supercharger whining. It's great.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
The fact still remains that a stock Cobra will not smoke a stock Vette. A Z06 will run low 12's (12.3-12.4) stock. I've seen Cobras do the same, but most of them that quick had drag radials, exhaust, and pully mods. Also, like I said earlier, a Vette will "smoke" a Cobra on a road course, modified or otherwise. Not saying the Cobra isn't quick, but it is on a completely different level than a Vette.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:46 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
WXboy

Take a look at this and tell me again the Cobra will smoke the
Z-06!!!!!!!!

http://www.car-videos.com/performanc...ID1=179&ID2=15

That about says it all!!!!!!
And who says you can't do a pully swap on a vette anyway?

Now for the money the SVT Cobra is a tough cookie, but don't be so foolish as to place it up there with the Vette!

And i'm not trying to pic here but after reading the majority of your posts, you claim to be knowledgeable in reguards to just about any diesel ever made, due to the fact that you have used all of them, at your job or maybe on your farm or whatever it is, my question is , do you also have a 03 svt mustang at work that you tool around in and use to smoke vettes?? You sure do know a lot about a bunch of vehicles that you don't even own!!

Last edited by bigdieseldav; 01-26-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:07 AM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
According to the link provided (which is a SVT Cobra site) the 03 supercharged Cobra barely beats the 1999 LS1 corvett in the 1/4 by a slim 3/10 of a second with a 1.1 mph advantage, so I think its safe to say that a 03 Cobra will smoke a LS1 corvette but not a Z-06. Now Imagine a little intestinal fortitude by the chevrolet designers to install a SC on a Vette!!!!, or even a Camaro and you'll be singing a different tune altogether......

Of course what I just posted is pretty dumb cause i don't think it will ever be necessary to SC a vette to beat a Cobra. I'm not downing the Cobra, I just don't like it when I see someone post something so rediculous. Is it possible for SVT to produce a Cobra that will beat the Z-06? Sure it is, it just hasn't happened yet. I'm doubtful that it will but untill then try to refrain from posting things that are so rediculous.!

Last edited by bigdieseldav; 01-27-2004 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:25 AM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote: "And who says you can't do a pully swap on a vette anyway?"

What the freak good would that do??? Give you like 5 hp?? Swapping a pulley on the new Cobra can give you over 100 hp.

Quote: "Nothing ford has on the plate in the sport car field will compete with the corvette"

Really? I guess the vette will smoke the new GT, huh??
BTW, comparing the Cobra against a Z06 is apples to oranges. (like the GT comparison) Compare the Cobra to the standard Vette and the Ford wins. In every department, except for maybe handling, but especially in price.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The advantage of a supercharger is not just peak HP numbers. If you take a standard 5.4 and soup it up to 390HP and then supercharge one to 390HP then the supercharged engine will beat it every time. Supercharged engines, if built properly, have much wider torque curves. The cams have wider lobe centers and the supercharger kicks in right off idle. There is no waiting until the cam decides it wants to let the engine make some power.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
Really? I guess the vette will smoke the new GT, huh??
BTW, comparing the Cobra against a Z06 is apples to oranges. (like the GT comparison) Compare the Cobra to the standard Vette and the Ford wins. In every department, except for maybe handling, but especially in price.
Really? We're not the ones who compared the Cobra to the Z06. It was stated that the Cobra will smoke a Vette by someone above. I guarantee you it will not.

As far as comparing it to a standard Vette and winning in every department, what about braking? What about ergonomics? What about build quality?

Quick Reply: The Corbra Kills