Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

i need some help, i want to buy a 2001 lightning, What to look for?

Old 01-11-2004, 10:24 AM
nautms
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question i need some help, i want to buy a 2001 lightning, What to look for?

what's up,

i know some about these trucks, i want to buy a 2001 L and found a good deal, this truck is stock, what should i look for and are these truck prone to any problems? appreciate the help form the guys that know, thats why im here

matt

Old 01-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Jacked99Duty
Freshman User
Only prob that I no of is the Intercooler has a prob with leaking on some L's.My friend's L had that prob but it was a 2000,also heard of a few probs with the 03 L's cooler also but I havent had a prob with them myself.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:52 PM
min150mph
Junior User
Intercooler problems were on the 99-00 years and not 01's. I'd check and see if the truck has been modded. Look to see if the lower pulley has ever been removed. If so it is likely it had a larger pulley on it at one time. Check the computer to see if it has had a chip - if the coating on the terminals is gone it had a chip at one point.

If this one is sold at a dealer get the VIN # and check and see if you can get a hold of the previous owner and get an idea about the vehicle from them.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Jacked99Duty
Freshman User
The 03 have the cooler probs also unless its just a freak thing,I have fixed 2 of the 03 so far.Just thought it was an on going prob with them from 99-03

Old 01-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Lightning Rod
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Congratulations on your choice of trucks. Look for the usual things when shopping used vehicles. I always note things like tire wear, fluid quality (oil, trans fluid, antifreeze), and overall appearance. Look for obvious signs of body damage such as overspray in the fenderwells or on the undercarriage, and mis-aligned body panels.

The fact that the truck you're looking at appears to be stock is a definite plus. Look for evidence of prior modifications such as the contacts being scraped on the PCM, an uncaged lower pulley, or rounded corners on the four bolts securing the airbox to the intake tube.

One other thing to check....... take a good look at the rear u-joint, especially where it slips into the rear of the drive shaft. If it appears to have been beaten by a hammer, the previous owner drove the truck hard w/o any kind of traction control device.

Lastly, pull the VIN number off the dashboard plate (driver's side) and get a carfax report. You can also take the VIN number to just about any Ford dealer and they can pull a history on the truck to see if there were/are any warranty issues.

Good luck!

Search this Thread