5.4 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Rpayne
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Turbo

I have a 2000 F-250 with a 5.4 and am looking for some more horsepower. I was thinking of putting a turbo on it. Could I get a used one at a salvage yard off of like a powerstroke or something?It looks like all you would have to do is make two pipes that come off the manifolds and come together and go in one side, and make the other side go straight into the air filter box, then make a down pipe and tie it into the exhaust. What is this I read about intercoolers, and changing injectors and other things is that involved with a turbo? What other things am I missing for this install. Also with this do you think that I would mess up the 5 speed transmission or rear end, I have 4.10 gears right now? Thanks in advance for any help,
Ryan

Old 11-24-2003, 12:22 PM
kevinrf250
Senior User
I don't think that your engine would flow enough to run a turbo of a Powerstroke. I have seen twin turbos on V8's that use two turbos of a Buick Grand National, not sure how good they work though. Hope this helps some.

Old 11-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Rpayne
Senior User
Thanks for the info. Do you know of any other used vehicles to look for that I might could use the turbo off of, what would you think about the cummins turbo it is on quite a bit smaller motor than the powerstroke, but it is still a diesel. Is there any way of measuring to tell if it would work.
Thanks for all the help
Ryan

Old 11-25-2003, 06:26 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remember the Turbo Coupe T-Bird? You could use 2 of those turbos as the the engine was a 2.3 litre I4.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:59 PM
kevinrf250
Senior User
The Powerstrokes in the Super duty's have a smaller exhaust housing than the 94-97''s had. If you were to try a turbo off of a Powerstroke get a newer one you will have better luck spooling it than the larger housing of the older trucks.

Old 11-26-2003, 02:22 AM
2000BLK54
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 11-26-2003, 02:04 PM
schallboy
New User
Proficient Performance Kit

How much horsepower will that proficient kit add?

Old 11-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Rpayne
Senior User
Thanks for all the help. The turbo kit looks good but costs half what I paid for the truck. If I were to rig up a turbo do you have to use an intercooler? From what I can tell it just cools the exhaust air before you run it back through the engine, is this really nessicary?I figure I could find a powerstroke at a salvage yard easier than a Turbo coupe T-bird, but ill try to keep an eye out for both. Thanks,
Ryan

Old 11-26-2003, 09:53 PM
wildjon300ci
Posting Guru
Intercoolers are NOT nessicary, but they will help alot in the power department allowing for more fuel and timing without too much pinging. Cooler air is denser air, and 200 something degree air isn't exactly detionation friendly.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:04 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rpayne
Thanks for all the help. The turbo kit looks good but costs half what I paid for the truck. If I were to rig up a turbo do you have to use an intercooler? From what I can tell it just cools the exhaust air before you run it back through the engine, is this really nessicary?I figure I could find a powerstroke at a salvage yard easier than a Turbo coupe T-bird, but ill try to keep an eye out for both. Thanks,
Ryan

The intercooler doesn not cool the exhaust. It cools the compressed intake air. The exhaust also does not re-enter the engine. An intercooler is not alway necessary, but is highly reccommended. As for looking for different turbos, you could look at turbocharged chrysler cars, such as turbo lebarons and daytonas. SOme used Garett T3 turbos, and Mitsubishi turbos (garrett is better for big boost, but 2 mitsu's on a 5.4 should be good for more than enough boost) . These may be easier to find than turbos froma turbo 2.3, as they are much more common.

Old 11-30-2003, 09:11 PM
fc3swrx
New User
Re: 5.4 Turbo

I have a 2000 F-250 with a 5.4 and am looking for some more horsepower. I was thinking of putting a turbo on it. Could I get a used one at a salvage yard off of like a powerstroke or something?It looks like all you would have to do is make two pipes that come off the manifolds and come together and go in one side, and make the other side go straight into the air filter box, then make a down pipe and tie it into the exhaust. What is this I read about intercoolers, and changing injectors and other things is that involved with a turbo? What other things am I missing for this install. Also with this do you think that I would mess up the 5 speed transmission or rear end, I have 4.10 gears right now? Thanks in advance for any help,
Ryan
I don't think you understand the complexity of adding a turbo to a non-turbo car.

The turbo has to be sized right for target boost and spool requirements. Then the fuel enrichment for the amount of CFM you're running. Then you have to have a engine management system capable of understanding boost, which may require (will require) custom programing. Then you have to run your oil and water coolant lines to the turbo. Run your exhaust to the turbo and route a single down-pipe that was custom made. Honestly a $4000 turbo kit is an awesome price.

Any turbo from a diesel will not work well on a gas motor. deisel w/ 3500 RPM rev limit produce boost at 100o RPM's gas motors don't flow enough exhaust until 2500-3500 RPM's to spool for a 7000 RPM rev limit.

I have two turbo cars 1 tubo truck and 1 supercharged. I have considered putting a turbo on other vehicle but just the time involved is crazy.

Just the questions you are asking means you just don't understand the whole process. The modular ford motors just aren't made for boost. They have cast pistons and rods. The most you could hope for is 8psi. Even then the engine life is very low. The oil system wasn't designed for the heat either. You can get a super charger kit but those are typically cooler charge tempratures at 8psi.

The need for good engine management is very important under boost. you can detonate the motor just by looking at it wrong. You have to run 93+ octane ALWAYS.

Old 11-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Rpayne
Senior User
Thanks for everyones help. No I really dont understand the complexity of adding a turbo but I am learning. I decided that I will just leave the truck alone, because I dont want to ruin the motor or anything else just trying to get some more horses.
Again thanks to everyone,
Ryan

Old 12-03-2003, 10:22 AM
monaro-azz
Freshman User
Rpayne: your better off doing work on the motor as it is to free up hp. i'm not sure if the 5.4 is a roller motor but if it isn't then get a roller cam, roller lifters, roller rockers, Extractors with a dual exhaust, aftermarket ecu, uprated injectors and fuel pump etc. do not port the heads though as it is the terminal velocity of the intake air/fuel that matters and not the flow figures. After all this you will still come out cheaper than trying to turbo it with a hp figure in the same ballpark.

My opinion,
Aaron

Old 12-07-2003, 05:55 PM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know of any other used vehicles to look for that I might could use the turbo off of, what would you think about the cummins turbo it is on quite a bit smaller motor than the powerstroke, but it is still a diesel. Is there any way of measuring to tell if it would work.
Thanks for all the help
Ryan
Since I own a Cummins I can help with this one. The Holset turbo (HX-35) in its stock form can run up to 30 PSI of boost, maybe a little higher. You would have to modify your heads and pistons for this to work for you.