It's Baaack

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's Baaack

Hey Gang:
Just wanted to let you all know that the .060 over 390 and related parts are all resting comfortably in the garage now. Stopped by and deposited some funds with Rob on Thursday so now the assembly begins (eventually). Just managed to get into a new house a month ago and I have been trying to take every advantage of the weather to get the garage ready for winter. I have it 90% there so the next few days should prove interesting. I keep hoping to get the rest of the house fixed up and care for the 10 month old, who now likes to wander around unfortunately.... I still need to retrieve 'ol Blue from the other house, but the motor work can at least begin, while I replenish the savings acount (a few more dollars were needed for the bullet proof short block) for the head work
More to follow, soon I hope! --Mike G

Old 11-10-2003, 07:49 PM
mattri
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! Glad to hear it's moving along. I might have missed it in an earlier post but what are all the specs on the 390?

Old 11-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Spudco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Mike G.,

Congratulations on the progress! My 352 into 410 project is still in the shed, no progess past teardown and planning with Rob at Blue Oval.

I've been up to my ears the past couple of months with a remodeling project at the house. Unfortunately, that has eaten all the "fun money" for the foreseeable future. So no progress is likely. Especially since I have an engine and tranny and no truck to put them into!!

I plan to be at the swap meet, though.

Spudco

Old 11-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Hey D, I was wondering where you've been

Some quick details on the engine for you Matt. I started with a 360 that was .060 over, this just required a good clean, magnaflux and a hone. Picked up a 390 crank that Rob had in storage. Added the 360 pistons, which were later models so the skirts were not an issue and Rob reconditioned the rods and balanced the group. Added a mild cam similar in grind to the Crane 801 and all the rest of the goodies to put the short block together. I have the heads sitting in my shed awaiting some cash, but they should just need a tank and re-assembly. I picked up a 4brl manifold (yes, the iron heavy one) cheap and a Holley to drop on top and a set of headers.

While the engine was at the shop (and my cash was building to pay for it) I picked up a video and manual and completely rebuilt the C6 tranny that I purchased at the sime time as the motor. That was quite fun to do and I learned a lot about the auto trans. I still have some fine tuning to do on that though before I would put it behind the motor.

I recently moved to a new home which has a little more space in the garage for all my toys, but I have been getting it "liveable" before moving in the fun stuff. The paint is 90% done, the workbench is in and the shop lights were hung last night

Hope to see you all at the swap meet on the Friday, that's when there is still good stuff to be had. Last year there were quite a few vendors with FE stuff too.

--Mike G

Old 11-14-2003, 08:57 PM
mattri
Laughing Gas
MikeG, thanks for the spec's. I'm just starting on my 460 project, it's good to hear things are going well for you. Some recent suspenion issues with the truck will put the motor off a little more but that's no big deal. Which Holley did you decide to go with? Hope to see you at the swap meet..

Old 11-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
I am now curious to know what suspension issues you are having that will throw you off a little?

The carb I ended up going with was a 4160 600cfm model. These are pretty much about $40 used and shipped to your door in decent shape on Ebay. I wanted to stick with something at the 600cfm range because I found I needed one for the Cougar as well (test night at the drag strip told me ) and I didn't want to overfuel the 390 (been there in the past, it's not pretty).

--Mike

Old 11-17-2003, 09:25 PM
mattri
Laughing Gas
MikeG, the F250 I bought is a platform truck. By that I mean that I bought the platform I wanted, 460, 4x4, 5spd hd etc but I knew when I bought it that it was going to need a little work. Well, the first thing that has come up is the front end. I was having a little trouble with bump and alignment so I brought it down to Eric at Wild West Offroad. He's good friends with Rob and just one street over. Anyway it needed a little work so that has eaten up some money that was the start of the motor fund. The shackle bushings are also prettty shot but I didn't have Eric replace them yet. I'm going to lift the truck and they will be replaced then. I was going to do the lift after the motor but now it is going to be first.