1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1999 Ford Ranger Overdrive Transmission problem

Old 11-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Geomin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Ford Ranger Overdrive Transmission problem

Yesterday my 1999 Ranger 2.5L Automatic got really wierd! The check engine light came on, the overdrive light started flashing, the ABS light came on, and the transmission can't shift out of low, except manually...and to top it off the speedometer quit working! What the heck is going on???? This has got to be all connected somehow. Do any of you experts have an idea so as to advise me before I get hosed at the dealership??

Up until now, I have had no problems. The truck has about 45K miles. I change the oil at 3-4,000 miles and try to take care of this as my teenage daughter drives this truck to school.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2003, 04:22 PM
c_rossman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably the speed sensor on the rear differential is bad. Check the connection on the top of the rear pumpkin.

Old 11-02-2003, 06:22 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
I'm voting with you on this one. That sensor (or the connection) makes sense.

FWIW.

Old 11-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Geomin
New User
Thanks Guys! Sounds a lot less serious than I thought. I did not buy extended warranty when it was offered, and I was worried that I was looking at replacing the transmission.

Old 11-02-2003, 09:24 PM
c_rossman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty simple fix, but I have heard if your rearend is failing it will screw up the sensor, I would pull the rear diff. cover off just to inspect the toner ring. It doesnt hurt to change the gear oil once in a while. The sensor itself is about $30 bucks.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 AM
KF4EYR
Senior User
i know this thread is old but my 99 just started this same thing. i changed the sensor that was on the rear end didnt fix it. the guy at the auto parts store said it was either a fuse or the other speed sensor that is on the transmission. so if new info is out there i need it thanks guys

Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM
KF4EYR
Senior User
does any body know what the speed sensor looks like? what is on the auto parts pages doesnt look like any thing on my transmission. i cleaned a switich looking thing on drivers side of tranny with wd40 and speedo came back but was very itermitent. and shifting very weird. any info greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
The rear ABS speed sensor isn't on the tranny, its atop the front center of the rear differential housing/pumpkin, held in by one 10mm fastner & an "O" ring on the sensor.
Clean dirt off around the old sensor before removing it, so you don't have any fall in & contiminate the differential oil. Lube the new sensors "O" ring before installing, torque the fastner to 25-29 ft/lbs, clean & lube the speed sensor electrical connector seal with silicone grease before reinstalling it, make sure it snaps closed & your good to go. Maybe a 15-30 minute install, most of the time spent getting jack, stands & raising & lowering the vehicle.
Do a parts search for the rear ABS speed sensor, to see what it looks like, or refer to your repair manual for its looks & location on the rear differential.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
KF4EYR
Senior User
pawpaw,,,,already done that,, the guy at auto parts store says there is another one showed me a pic of it i cant find it....and he said to check all the fuses done that too....

Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM
pawpaw
Already done what????

The rear differential mounted speed sensors PID output is used by the ABS,
Tranny, Cruise Control & Speed-o, so if those other things are acting out, that speed sensor, its electrical connector & wiring belong on your suspect list.

Do you have a CEL lit???? If so, most autoparts stores will scan the computer for trouble codes, then post All code Numbers, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 PM
KF4EYR
Senior User
ok went on to other sites have determined that there is only one vss on this 1999 ranger.... even though auto parts stores carry a part there is no place for it on the 98 99 00....... the one on the rear end is the only one, so something between it and the cab must be wrong i guess, real hair puller, codes dont show nothing,,, really though i feel sorry for some of the ladies on other sites that used a book to determine what was wrong and parts store sold them the part that has no place to go and the stores would not refund money. had a south of the border mechanic try to tell me shifter is out of adjustment i havent even started on that.....

Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM
KF4EYR
Senior User
ok now i am being told that because when i first bought this truck it had 31 inch tires on and i put regular 15 in tires on now i HAVE TO GO AND INPUT THE NEW SIZE IN THE COMPUTER SO IT CAN READJUST ITSELF??????????????????? come on i am an old man wishing i still had my 66 dodge

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 PM
pawpaw
Well when changing tire size, its like changing the rear differential gear ratio, so that can confuse the computer if it thinks the larger size tires are still on it.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 AM
KF4EYR
Senior User
so do i drive it till it fixs it self?? or find someone with a computer to input the new tire size? i am going out to buy a book tomorrow so i can confuse my self more,,, i thought the 89 ranger i had for 9 years run me ragged now this modern stuff is a killer.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 AM
pawpaw
Well a Ford Dealer can reprogram the computer for the tire size you have on there now & I've read they may charge from nothing up to $45, or .7 hours time, so that the speed-o is calibrated & the tranny shift points are right. A good tire shop may be able to do it too, or someone with a re-programmer. I've read it can be done going through the ABS module, which will then correct the GEM module to make everything right.

Yah I too used to think all the electronic gizmos on the newer vehicles were overly complicated & not necessary, but since being on this forum for a while & learning some about how most of the systems work, it really isn't that bad & the computer can make the engine perform a lot better quickly, so it gets better mpg & runs cleaner & when something goes wrong, the computer can tell us where it hurts, so it can make trouble shooting easier.

Think of the computer as a brain, the sensors as its nerves, providing feedback on what they're monitoring & actuators as fingers, to do the computers bidding which is based on the feedback its getting from its sensors & its programming which is a set of instructions that tells the computer how to process/evaluate its sensors info, all a neat circle when everything is working as designed!!!! lol

More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Ford Ranger Overdrive Transmission problem