Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

coming to Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 08:12 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coming to Arizona

I will be in Arizona the last week of October, what is there to do in the south part of the state, that time of year? I have nothing to do, but hang out looking at things, and taking photographs of any FTE members I might find.

Theo

Old 09-26-2003, 06:01 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If you are near Tucson, check out the Desert Museum. It's a very unique zoo basically that only exhibits animals that are found in the Sonoran Desert. It's a great way to spend a 1/2 day. Pima Air and Space Musuem is really cool, especially if you like to see a huge variety of aircraft. There are several huge buidings that are air conditioned, but most of the really cool stuff is in the yard. We call it the "boneyard" and it's filled with literally hundreds and hundreds of aircraft. You'll need most of the day to see this one, October will be a great time to visit that attraction.

If you find yourself in Albuquerque New Mexico between October 4-12 on your way to Arizona....make sure you check out the International Hot Air Balloon Festival. Should be about 900 balloons this year, it's quite an event. That's where I'm headed in a few weeks!

Old 09-26-2003, 10:14 PM
jor
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Green Valley, 25 miles south of Tucson, you'll find the Titan Missle complex. This is a complete silo, missle included (no warhead, of course). Anyhow, it's a really interesting tour. They take you down in the silo to the firing stations, sleeping quarters and so on. You can always keep going another 40 miles south and visit Nogales, Sonora, Mexico. Just park on the US side and walk over.
jor

Old 09-27-2003, 02:34 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Thank you, guys, I have made a note of your suggestions..

Any more??

Theo

Old 10-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
It depends on what you are looking for in a vacation. I used to live in Bisbee. This is a small artist community about 20 miles from the border and about 100 miles from Tucson. There is a mine tour and it is a nice place to practice your driving skills, up and down the mountains. It was built into the side of the mountains and is rustic. It is a nice day trip for people and like the old west and a laid back feeling. Military and the hippies are a funny mix.

You have Tombstone. Well it is a tourist trap, but most people stop there and state they were in Tombstone. There is some good history, like the courthouse where four men were hung for the Bisbee Massacre. Walking around in Tombstone is like walking back into history, but stay off the main streets. Like most old west towns the area is spread out and the main street is where all of the tourist flock.

Sierra Vista has Fort Huachuca and they have a nice little museum. This is the “big” town in SE Arizona.

Old 10-09-2003, 07:36 AM
wabiker
Posting Guru
....Head up to Jerome, awesome views (plenty of those in AZ)
....Sedona, red rock country/ Oak creek canyon
....Sunset Crater outside of Flagstaff
....Indian ruins spread all over the state
...Meteor crater west of flagstaff on I-40 (film'd many movies there, also astronauts train there)
...Montezumas castle/Well
...Grand Canyon
...The painted desert
...Ole Tombstone
...Bourget Bike Works
...Paul Yaffee Customs
...Pat Kennedy Customs
...Canyon lakes and Tortilla Flats is a nice little jaunt (S. of Payson)

heres a start....

Old 10-10-2003, 11:56 PM
460lover
Senior User
There is a GTG on the 25th at teh 5 and Dinner at 75th Ave and Bell Rd (Southwest Corner).

The address is:
7541 W Bell Rd
PEORIA, AZ 85382-3829

Last edited by 460lover; 10-10-2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:02 AM
beeboy
Postmaster
Greetings from Eastern WA!

I'm headed down to Scottsdale next week, with the wife and in-laws for a weeks vacation. I was wondering if you get recommend some nice activities in that area, along with some good dining?

Things that interest me so far are :Grand Canyon, Meteor crater, Sedona (pink jeep tours).

Thanks for any advice!

Old 04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
azwafree
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=356152

read this thread...you might decide to stay away!

Old 04-05-2005, 04:29 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey beeboy, there's quite a bit to do out here, especially this time of year (not too hot). The sedona pink jeep tours is pretty cool (besides the fact they're pink, ugg!) but I like to take my own rig down the trails (see gallery)!! It's the perfect time of year to be up that way though, the weather is beautiful right now. The grand canyon is pretty cool, definitely something to check out. But when you get there, it's more like Chevy Chase in Vacation, you kinda nod your head a bit and go, ok let's go! ha ha. As far things locally, Scottsdale has quite a bit to offer. I live over in the east valley so I'm not too sure of places to go (besides the bars/clubs), but I know there's a good selection of restaurants up there as well. If you go to www.azcentral.com and check out the travel section, there's some good ideas in there (hate to pass you off to the web but it's a good start). I'm sure someone who lives up that way can chime in with some good recommendations for entertainment/dining.