Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F250 88- Starter turning engine slow when warm.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 07:07 AM
Runner2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I would let my 88 F250 (302) warm up to normal tempatures then shut her down then try and restart, the engine would be sluggish turning. Then all of a sudden the engine would spin fast and start. It almost sounds like a low or bad battery so I replaced it with a brand new "Sears Gold" and it still does the same.

Is there a way I could take this starter off and have tested at a local auto parts store or is there something I could look at?

Any help would be great! Thanks for your time in advance.

Jamie

Old 11-24-2001, 10:28 AM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru

Clean both cable terminals until bright. Also, if you have any of those emergency terminals, replace with new ones...old ones not worth cleaning unless you are stranded.

Old 11-26-2001, 04:59 PM
Runner2
New User

Ok.. here's the scoop.

I checked the wires and they looked good but cleaned them anyway and it still did the sluggish start then spun real quick and started. However, it didn't solve the problem.

Then I replaced the starter and the starter solenoid and recharged the brand new Sear gold battery. When I went to start, I can see that it made a big difference and started alot better but... here and there when I start the F250 it did the sluggish turnover and spun fast and started. It was better but the problem is still there. Could it be the timing is off?????

Also, can someone tell me where is the exact place that the Negative battery cable ground should be mounted? I don't think it's ground it the right spot. Or can you tell me where is the best spot on the truck to ground the Negative battery cable that goes to the battery.

Again, thank you all in advance for you advice.

Jamie

Old 11-26-2001, 08:48 PM
cbwarrior
Senior User
Post F250 88- Starter turning engine slow when warm.

I had what I thought was a bad battery, which turned out to be a bad cable. The cable had one of those bolt-on terminals, and the battery corrosion got into the wire and caused high resistance.
My $.02.

Old 11-28-2001, 02:17 PM
Runner2
New User

>I had what I thought was a bad battery, which turned out to
>be a bad cable. The cable had one of those bolt-on
>terminals, and the battery corrosion got into the wire and
>caused high resistance.
>My $.02.

Finally! My F250 Starts like if it were new. Not that I didn't need a new starter or starter solenoid because they were due for replacement anyway but.. the problem was that my Negative batter cable didn't have a good ground so what I did was find a clean spot on the F250 chassis and connected the Negative battery cable there and it starts wonderful!!!

The bottom line is the negative battery cable didn't have a good ground.

Thanks to all that responded.

Jamie

Old 11-30-2001, 11:26 PM
shilly
Freshman User

Jamie, I've also heard of the same symptoms caused by a missing heat shield on the starter. When it's cold, everything is OK, but after the engine runs awhile, heat from the exhaust manifold causes the starter to bind. We had this problem on a vehicle in our local volunteer fire department and corrected it with about a nickels worth of scrap tin sheeting. Easy fix!!

Old 12-11-2001, 01:09 AM
charlez
Elder User

Old 12-15-2001, 03:36 PM
Ford06
New User
Post F250 88- Starter turning engine slow when warm.

Jamie:

I have a 87 f-150 (300 inline six) that is doing the same thing. When the engine is cold it starts like a champ. Then when you let it get up to temp you would think the battery is weak. Then after a several tries it starts right up.
I have replaced all of the items you listed too. I even put a new fly wheel in but got the same results.
The battery cable is grounded to one of the starter bolts.Were did you move yours too?
Do you think the heat shield is what really made the difference? Some friends have told me that it might be the heat.
Please help.
Thanks,
Daymon