1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Brake Light and Abs Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 94 ranger 4.0 4x4. One winter while 4 wheeling I happened to get into some snow that just kept getting deeper until i got stuck, So i had to back out, after doing that i noticed that the brake light and the abs light were on, then for about a year after that it would just come on and go off. For the past 6 months it has stayed off untill you press the brake all the way down to the floor , then it comes on. If you shut off the truck and restart it it will be off untill you press the brakes all the way down again. if you get the light to come on and drive with it like that, then when you shut it off and turn it on it will still be on and wont come off until the truck cools down. there is nothing wrong with the brakes, new calipers, new pads, and no leaks that i've noticed. I was told the rotors look a little thin though. I dont know if this is related, but it seems when you start the truck after driving it with the light on, it will idle rough or even stall. but after you rev it 3-4 times it will run smoothly. any help would be great.

Old 08-27-2003, 09:52 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello, welcome to FTE!

You probably should try pulling any codes from your ABS system. I believe there is an ABS test harness connection under your hood, probably mounted on the firewall somewhere. Might have to get a shop to hook up to it to get the codes.

Assuming you have 4WABS, one possibility could be that your rear ABS sensor was damaged, or the connections to it were messed up, when you backed out of the snow. The sensor is mounted on the rear axle housing. You can actually take it off rather easily and clean it up, just unplug the electrical connector (clean up the electricl connections, too) and remove the one bolt that holds it in place. Spray the sensor with electrical contact cleaner, and wipe off all the particles from the magnet part of the sensor. Lubricate the rubber O-ring with motor oil when you reinstall it. And remember to take the cable off the negative terminal of your battery before you do the job.

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you would have RABS, if you do there is a procedure for pulling the codes in the tech info post. I agree with rockledge, the VSS is the most likely cause.

Old 08-27-2003, 12:36 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ken is right, there is a difference between RABS and 4WABS. A method for pulling codes from an RABS system is here: Pulling RABS Codes.

If you do have 4WABS in your '94, the way to pull codes from that kind of system is as follows:

«1994 Aerostar/Ranger/Explorer Table of Contents»
«Group 06: BRAKE»
«Section 06-09B: Brake, 4-Wheel Anti-Lock»
«DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING»

Light Flash Technique

NOTE:
If 12V test light is not available, the ABS warning light also flashes during this test.

1. Locate test connector in the engine compartment and install 12V test light between Circuits 603 (DG) and 57 (BK) in the test connector.

2. Key OFF. Connect a jumper wire between circuits 57 (BK) and 606 (BK/LB in the test connector.

3. Key ON. Observe test light.

4. Remove jumper between Circuits 57 (BK) and 606 (BK/LB) in the test connector after five seconds.

5. Count light flashes of test light or ABS warning lamp.

The DTCs are flashed out in most significant digit, then lease significant digit. The digits are seperated by 3-6 seconds and DTCs are separated by 15 seconds.

Example: The lamp flashes one time, pauses 3-6 seconds, flashes seven times, pauses 15 seconds, flashes six times, pauses 3-6 seconds, then flashes 3 times. DTCs output: 17 and 63.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Rockledge; 08-27-2003 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:50 PM
Peter94
Postmaster

Thanks for the Info, I'll try pulling the codes tommorow, I'll probably post them late around 10 or 11 on (8/28). By the way i have RABS. One thing i dont understand is why the light only comes on if i push the pedal all the way down to the floor. I can drive forever with it as long as i dont have to slam on the brakes and i'll never see the brake light, but as soon as i slam the brakes down it'll pop on. I always thought as if it was the vss the light would come on at random?

Old 09-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Peter94
Postmaster

Sorry it took so long to get the codes, anyway, it flashed 15 short and 1 long repeatedly, with the engin running. otherwise with the engine off but still in run position, all it would do is flash 3 short and 1 long repeatedly, Hope this helps with the problem, thaks

Old 09-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend

16 is the pass code, 4 is the RABS valve switch closed or open dump valve. Email me if you want the pinpoint tests for the code.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Steve77
New User
I seem to be having the same problem with my Ranger. It's a 1994, 2wd, super cab with a 4L v6 engine. When I start up the truck the ABS and Brake lights are off but after using the brakes for awhile the lights come on, but the brakes still feel the same. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Welcome to FTE!!!

Pull the code, I have the procedure in the tech info thread at the top of this forum.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
Yeah, my light just kind of went away. I'm not sure what ever became of it. oh well.

Old 01-04-2005, 01:23 PM
richind
New User
I had a similar problem last year (2000 Ranger XLT 4x4x4). I got into some good
snow, and got a little wild in it. Not sure of the exact sequence, but somehow
between using 4WL and 4WH, and squirrling around, I set the ABS light. It seemed
to happen when the truck got into a "bindup" (got down to good traction in a tight
turn) situation.

The ABS was definately off, since you could hammer the brakes in the snow and
get all the wheels to lock and slide. Gone too was the pulsating, when putting
the pedal down hard.

Even after leaving the truck parked for a few hours and then starting it back
up again, the ABS light stayed on solid. They next day however, it was back
to normal, and has never acted up since (and ABS is working).

Old 09-08-2005, 09:57 AM
the_bob
New User

Anybody know if the above procedure works for retrieving codes on a '99 Ranger?

Old 09-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
For RABS you use the procedure in the tech info thread at the top of the forum, 4 wheel ABS requires an ODB-II scanner.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:54 PM
the_bob
New User
I was actually talking about the post by Rockledge on 08-27-2003. It seemed like he was talking about a procedure for 4WABS. If an OBD-II scanner gives up ABS info on my '99, though, that would be even better. The guy at AutoZone claimed their OBD-II scanner would only read "Check Engine" codes, but I do know someone who has a scanner. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2005, 08:01 PM
the_bob
New User
I got ahold of an Actron OBD-II scanner, but alas, I am still without my precious ABS codes. So, I'll pose the question again... Does anybody know if the procedure posted by Rockledge on 08-27-2003 still works for a 1999 Ranger? Please? Anybody?

Quick Reply: Brake Light and Abs Problems