Military Registrations...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:54 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(Get a load of this)

To get an on base sticker for my Tennessee (AND STAYING TENNESSEE!!!) truck on Naval Base Coronado Island - they expect me to get it California SMOG inspected as part of the sticker issue process!

What meat head decided that I have a crying need to spend a butt-load of cash converting a truck to the standards of a state I don't live in as a resident? And as far as the state goes, so far as I ever heard there ain't anything in the vehicle code that requires out of state vehicles to do anything like that.

Personally I view it as another example of a moron in charge of personally screwing over their troops for no better reason than they can do it.

My answer?

I WILL MAKE TIME TO GET TEMPORARY PASSES, BUCKO!
-Right on up to the day I retire.

The nerve of those dipsticks! And answer number two is to get a diesel truck, like I planned all along.

Damn if I'm going to shell a thousand bucks just for the parts to make the conversion, and then pay out for some other states annual inspections - I DIDN'T ASK TO BE STATIONED HERE.

"If you want my opinion - you're in the wrong line of business..."

~Charles Bronson (Mr Majestyk)

Old 08-26-2003, 06:13 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seem a little strange to me too. If I remember right I recall reading on the CA. smog check web site that military personal stationed in CA. are excempt since it's just temporary.

Have you visited the site? There's lots of information concerning smog checks.

www.smogcheck.ca.gov/stdhome.asp?textonly=false

Old 08-26-2003, 11:58 AM
88B_RONC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I just ran into the same thing up here at vandenberg AFB but when they asked where my smog paperwork was I replied with a smile - its a diesel...

Old 08-27-2003, 01:28 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

BEE-Ronc, that's my plan exactly!
I'm gonna bag another truck with a diesel engine and take my fun truck home on leave.

In fact - I'll be goin' to look at the new (used) truck wednesday afternoon.

~Wolf

Old 08-27-2003, 04:29 PM
88B_RONC
Senior User

Wolf
I read about that truck your looking at over in the Tenn forum...if only I knew where it was I'd race you over there and buy it first, sounds like a great truck for that price.

Old 09-01-2003, 04:19 PM
dads77
Freshman User

Sorry fo posting to an old thread. But thought I would post my experiance with smogging an out-of-state registered truck in So- Cal just to get a base sticker. I have a 77 F240 w/ a stock 400. The truck had been sitting on a farm in east Texas since 1980. My dad sent the truck to me here in San Diego. After a good tune-up and new exhaust system. I found out I had to smog it to get a sticker. To get a base sticker your truck only needs to pass smog for that vehicle under the 49 state rule. IF you took off the stock smog for your state, ie cats, egr, ait pump,...etc... then you will have to replace. You do not have to pay for the money for the California smog cert,....just get the print out saying you passed. Luckly my truck is a 49 non-cataliyst. Believe it or not I did pass and got my sticker. It is a pain in the ***. So why do they require us to get a smog on a vehicle that is not even registered in this state. Because the Ca smog weenies were threating to fine the base commanders for not controling polution, the only way they could get away from it was to say everyone has to get a smog. The funny thing is government vehicles do not require a smog???? Pure California bureacratic B.S.
Good Luck

Old 09-05-2003, 06:54 PM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru

All I needed for my Coast Guard sticker was registration, proof of insurance, and a valid driver's liscence. Not once was I asked for smog papers. This was a california registered truck at the time. Now its a Arkansas registered truck.

Old 09-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

The smog stuff must have been intact. Mine isn't - in fact I'm going to convert the F100 to a diesel someday and use the 302 for a race buggy.

What bugs me the most is that I clearly recall a message about local inspections. It stated that if you are from an area where equivalent inspections are not required you are EXEMPT from local inspections if your vehicle is registered in your home state.

There are five copies of that message at home, I wish I had one of them here...

I used it on the base cops in Norfolk Virginia - it was strange to hear them say: "OOPS! Sorry sir..."

Old 09-17-2003, 10:02 PM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru

I love it when someone takes the wind out the sails of some snot nosed MP. I hate how they get on a power trip. Its bad here at 32nd street.

Old 09-20-2003, 06:27 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

I was down at 32nd street yesterday -
I did a Brig Chaser run in the blue mule kinda sorta.

A fellow first class that just made E-5... I had to pick him up from TPU to go to sea with us on restriction, believe it or not! Quite a few people are hoping the guy's situation is reversed, but it's a long story that I can't discuss anyway.

I will say this - if you want to see what ticket happy security people are like - be warned! Naval Base Coronado is tighter than a miser in a mason jar...

Old 04-30-2004, 08:04 PM
4BYFORDF150
Freshman User
I am having the same stupid problem with getting base stickers My truck is registered in Oregon and they told me that because its an out of state vehicle I have to get it smog tested which really sucks and then I thought well I will just keep getting temporary passes but they told me I can only get two thrty day passes then I cant get any more temp ones. I hate this place

Old 05-08-2004, 06:26 PM
xman7896
Senior User
Thats why i own a 66.

Old 05-13-2004, 02:55 PM
drbeach_2000
New User
I just purchased a 1967 F-100 SWB for $1000.00 from my Brother and it has Ohio tags which I plan to Keep, Will I have to have it Smogged for Southern Cal.(Ft. Irwin)?

Old 05-13-2004, 05:07 PM
xman7896
Senior User
Nope, if i remember right. If it is older then 20 years then you dont need to smog it, but if it was equiped with emissions then it still has to be there, but in 67 there where no emission laws or equipment so you can do anything you want to that truck

Old 05-13-2004, 05:43 PM
drbeach_2000
New User
Thanks xman for the information, I will post the pics of the truck after the 15 day waiting period. It is really in pretty good shape. My Brother could have easily sold it for more.

Quick Reply: Military Registrations...