S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Higher Registration Fees

Old 08-22-2003, 12:54 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Higher Registration Fees

I just got my renewal notice today. Almost $200 for a ten year old basic pickup truck. I'd hate to pay the tags for a new PSD. Arnold, TERMINATE IT!

Jim

Old 08-22-2003, 01:02 PM
88B_RONC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Higher Registration Fees

OUCH...and I was complaining about my $70 Texas registration fee for my F350

Old 08-22-2003, 01:40 PM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Higher Registration Fees

Yeah, this whole rate hike affects the entire state. I hinted to the wife about maybe buying a new mini van or a truck. We've owned Dodge mini vans for the last 14 years. Our current one is showing it's age and mileage. If we ever get another one, it will be the Ford Windstar. I also hinted about maybe a truck. She kinda liked that idea. But with the current state of taxes and registration fees, she says no way. I can see her point.

I guess I'll have to just keep old faithful on the road for a while longer. In the past 6 months I've had to replace a drive axle, fuel pump, A/C compressor, (ac still under warrenty from the last time we replace it, WHEW!). The power steering pump is starting to make noise now. I told her that it won't be too long and it will start to nickle and dime us into poverty. And the latest thing was the other day when we came home from church and she tried to open the door. The inside latch mechinism inside the door went south and she couldn't open the door. I looked at her and just said "well you know...." She said she doesn't care and refuses to buy a new car. What ever you say.

I wonder if I can blame gov. Davis for this.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:01 PM
airharley
Postmaster
Higher Registration Fees

I remember driving to AZ to buy a new car. Saved me a few hundred. But then a gain I am wasn't a resident of CA. You might be able to do the same thing. Look for a car to buy outside the state and bring it back. It may seem like a pain but you wont have to pay so much tax.

Old 08-23-2003, 03:32 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Higher Registration Fees

Buying a new car from another state and bringing it back to Ca. won't work unless it has California emissions equipment. If it does then that might take care of paying so much is sales tax. But then there's the problem of registration fees. The newer the vehicle, the higher the fees. Californian's pay some of the highest vehicle registration fees in the country. And now they are triple what they were a month ago. And if something isn't done to reverse this, a new car buyer can look forward to paying this outrageous fee every year. This may turn off many new car buyers. This will make new car dealerships very unhappy. With less revenue comming in, they may have to lay off some of their work force which means higher unemployment, less tax revenue comming in from new car sales. Where will they get the tax revenue they hope to generate from new car sales now, the morons!

I think gov. Davis is worried about the backlash this will/has created. This will hit the poor and the working class the hardest in my opinion. And if a person doesn't have the money at hand and is late on their registration fees, the penalties will drive the fees so high that it may take some people a long time to recover financially. So much for the democrats being for the poor and downtroden. I believe it. The more people the can keep poor and downtroden, the higher their voting base. Davis has said the he would favor removing the triple tax hike and sticking it to us somewere else. How thoughtful of him.

Problem is, is that it takes 2/3 majority vote in the state senate to pass a tax hike to generate revenue for the state. Davis and his band of marry men said that all was needed was a simple majority vote to pass the car tax hike. Now the dems. want to shift the car tax to another area with just a simple majority vote and bypass the 2/3 majority vote. The republicans are saying...."hold on just a cotten pickin' minute!". Bait and switch. The republicans are putting up a fight against this abuse of power. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as Davis fights to try to hold on to his job. Either way, we're still gonna get a tax hike somewere as long as he or the Lt. governor remains in charge.

Lt. governor Cruz Bustamante wants to raise taxes on the rich and raise the cigarette tax. Figures. I'm not rich and I don't smoke so I guess I don't have to worry about it do I? Unless of course "the rich" means middle class. Then I'm screwed as usual. But this may be the way to get smokers to quit smoking. This should make everybody happy. So a lot of people may quit smoking because they can no longer afford to smoke. Where will they get the tax revenue they hope to generate from cigarette sales now, the morons! Then the only people left with any money will be the rich. But not for long because they will say "you can afford to pay, so pay up". Those with money better leave the state now while you can still afford to do so.

Sorry for the rant.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:38 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Higher Registration Fees

On the other hand - machines that are too expensive to keep will become very affordable.

FOR EXPORT!

Which sounds to me like one helluvva profitable sideline...

Old 09-22-2003, 10:27 PM
rpounds
Trailering
Higher Registration Fees

We can all thank Beige Davis for that one. And the people hurt worst by that are the ones that barely live above the poverty line as it is. So now they won't be able to afford tags for their cars in order to drive to work. But, since the rest of us have to pay three times the amount for our tags, he can afford to give them food stamps and welfare rent money. That way, they won't have to drive to work.

Hmmm . . . I guess it all works out after all . . .

Old 10-02-2003, 02:40 PM
FoxFly
New User
$200, geez, that's nothing, I just bought a new F250 SD 4x4 PSD a few months ago and now I figure when I renew the DMV fees next summer it's going to be around $1500. This is crazy and bull****! I wonder if the DMV will take monthly payments as this may be the only way I can pay it. This "wonderful" state of ours has the highest cost of just about everthing of anyone.

Old 10-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Fat Mike
Senior User
I'm going to be sick.

Old 10-08-2003, 11:21 PM
Davescrew
Junior User
Hey guys, don't panic yet on the CA increases, but they are going to be considerable higher. However, just the VLF fees are triple, not the entire registration. Below is a chart how the DMV calculates those fees.

How much will you pay? The license fees are based on the originally purchase price of your vehicle multiplied by 2 percent. To determine the value, consult the table below. The value of a vehicle bought new or used within the past 12 months is the purchase price. The value of vehicle bought prior to that are subject to depreciation. Determining value in these cases requires multiplying the most recent purchase price by the depreciation percentage pegged to how many years you’ve owned the vehicle.
Yr-1.) For the first year, 100 percent of a sum paid for the vehicle not including taxes or fees times the 2% fee.
Yr-2.) For the second year, 90 percent of the purchase price times the fee
Yr-3.) For the third year, 80 percent of the purchase price times the fee
Yr-4.) For the fourth year, 70 percent of the purchase price times the fee
Yr-5.) For the fifth year, 60 percent of the purchase price times the fee
Yr-6.) For the sixth year, 50 percent of the purchase price times the fee
Yr-7.) For the seventh year, 40 percent of the purchase price times the fee
Yr-8.) For the eighth year, 30 percent of the purchase price times the fee
Yr-9.) For the ninth year, 25 percent of the purchase price times the fee
Yr-10.) For the 10th year, 20 percent of the purchase price times the fee
Yr-11.) For the 11th year and each succeeding year, 15 percent of that sum; provided, however, that the minimum tax shall be the sum of one dollar ($1).

For example purposes: You purchased a $50,000 truck on October 15th of this year; your VLF Fees are, (A) for the next 12 years. Your VLF Fees if the “offset” is rolled back, will be (B).

Years Dep% Purchase$ A=2.0% B=.67% Savings
1) Yr1 100% x $50,000 $1000.00 $335.00 $665.00
2) Yr2 90% x PP=$45,000 $900.00 $301.50 $598.50
3) Yr3 80% x PP=$40,000 $800.00 $268.00 $532.00
4) Yr4 70% x PP=$35,000 $700.00 $234.50 $465.50
5) Yr5 60% x PP=$30,000 $600.00 $201.00 $399.00
6) Yr6 50% x PP=$25,000 $500.00 $167.50 $332.50
7) Yr7 40% x PP=$20,000 $400.00 $134.00 $266.00
8) Yr8 30% x PP=$15,000 $300.00 $100.50 $199.50
9) Yr9 25% x PP=$12,500 $250.00 $83.75 $166.25
10) Yr10 20% x PP=$10,000 $200.00 $67.00 $133.00
11) Yr11 15% x PP=$7,500 $150.00 $50.25 $99.75
12) Yr12 15% x PP=$7,500 $150.00 $50.25 $99.75
13) Will remain at this level for the additional years you retain ownership of the vehicle.

Over 11 years, the vehicle owner would have saved more than $3850.00 in VLF fees under the offset. But the offset no longer is enforce. That was the rollback.

Looks like the DMV is going to raise the weight fees by 20% as well, SB 1055 on the Governor’s Desk Awaiting His Signature.
As a result of intense trucking industry lobbying, Assembly Bill (AB 1767) was held up in committee and this bill (SB 1055) with the help of Assembly member Jenny Oropeza and other key democrats became the main vehicle that raised commercial vehicle weight fees “only” 20 percent.

Thats better than the 62% increase they origionally tried for.

Lets hope Arnold can get us out of this jam...

Old 10-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Is it any wonder I used the chance while I was in the NAVY to transplant my home of record from San Diego California to western Tennessee?

It was a very deliberate move on my part that took me at least six years to finalise, the help of a very determined female, and has at times been a major pain in the backside. But I don't regret it for an instant.

If Arnold is very good - he will get a running start on fixing the mess. If he gets a second term in office he may actually fix a lot of it. The real gains won't truly be realised until after he's moved on, and the next office holder will either maintain it or screw it all away.

That seems to me to present a baseline for the change of roughly eight or ten years.

Bustamente was Gray Davis' partner in crime in getting the state to this brink of disaster, thinking that more taxes would bury the cost over runs of an out of control budget. It's glaringly obvious that all it managed to bury was businesses and private citizens!

There is what used to be a thriving triple movie theater down the street from where I rent, it is now a phillipino market place. They are the only ones who seem to be able to make a profit with it, even though the location is at a major crossroads in the area.

I was stunned when I first got back here at the rise in discount food and dime stores... Today the local VON's store is surrounded by picketers who are on strike.

I noticed also that the combined state and federal taxes on diesel fuel come to right around 48 cents per gallon, else it would cost only a dollar twenty a gallon...

It ain't just the registration fees people, a lot of stuff is out of reason in California.

Old 10-13-2003, 07:08 PM
Fat Mike
Senior User
I don't believe Arnold is eligible for a second term.

Old 11-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Odds On 21
Junior User
Higher Registration Fees

Anyone who thinks that tar and feathers for Gov. Davis, and the free spending legislature, are adequate retribution for their sins, please raise your hand.

I am thinking of buying a 2004 F250 6.0L PSD. Consider registration fees of $952.

Old 11-10-2003, 08:54 PM
rpounds
Trailering
Actually, Arnold is eligible for a second term. Only time will tell whether we actually want him around for that long . . .

Old 11-15-2003, 02:13 AM
rlh
Posting Guru
Unfortunately, Crud Bustamonkey is still the Lt. Gov. and intends to be a thorn in the govinators side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Higher Registration Fees