New steel wheels out of round are...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 10:12 PM
neverenough
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they all???

I have a '77 F250 that I'm trying to upgrade to 16" from 16.5". I got some from the local tire shop. I put the new tires and wheels on. I took the truck out for a ride, it pulled to the right and shook over 50 mph. I finally got the truck in to have them look at it and found 3 out of 4 wheels were out of round. They told me that it's hard to find steel wheels that run true. Well, I don't buy it, but, I thought I would ask here to see if it is true. Anyone else have problems too??? BTW they are aftermarket, factory type, replacement 8 lug rims. I want to keep the truck stock looking, right down to the hubcaps, so any other style/type of rim is not an option. Thanks.

I also posted this in the wheel section, but, hopefully some people here have done this already and would know.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:01 AM
Purely Ford
Elder User

That's bunk! How is it that new trucks with steel wheels don't run out of round and shake? I would demand a refund or replacements that are true and ride smooth.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:57 AM
Scooter29
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys! I was wondering why the guys that installed and balance the tires, didn't see that at the time? When mine were being done, they found them to out of round right away. I had them remove the tires and roll them accross the floor and yup, wobbled back and forth like a weeble! Now, I'm talking about the center section that was out of round. Welding will do damage if they're heated in one area too long, but this was terrible. Took three tries to get all 4 steel rims that were round, but I got them! The last one, they gave it to me for free, for the hassle.
I wonder how many weight's they put on those tires to get them out the door!!!
We'll talk with you later....

Old 08-22-2003, 02:54 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

There is an allowable runout tolerance listed in the service manuals. No steel wheel will be perfect.

Old 08-22-2003, 03:05 AM
Scooter29
Elder User

Hey Eric! Yes, very true. Seeing how these wheels are so massed produced, you can encounter full batches of wheels that made in a shift at the factory. I was one of the lucky ones that Western Auto bought a batch from, that was bad. Oh well, water under the bridge.... Talk with you later buddy....

Old 08-22-2003, 03:37 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

It is amazing to watch them being produced tho

Very straight forward process, but I love to watch machinery.

Old 08-22-2003, 03:44 AM
Scooter29
Elder User

Hey Eric! I wasn't lucky enough to see them produced, hauled them and bumpers too though.

Talk with you later....

Old 08-22-2003, 09:54 AM
neverenough
Elder User

Originally posted by Scooter29
Hey guys! I was wondering why the guys that installed and balance the tires, didn't see that at the time?
This is the second time they have missed something like this. I brought my Mustang in for a shake and they missed the broken cords on one tire. This time they missed the bent rims. Well, two strikes and they're out.

Thanks for the replys... The local salvage yard that I deal with just got in a truck with a set on it. Hopefully these will be better. I guess I'll be scrubing and painting this weekend.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Scooter29
Elder User

Hey there neverenough! There's an old saying: ___ me once, shame on you. ___ me twice, shame on me. I'm glad to hear things are working out though. All the scraping and painting will keep you in good shape! HEE HEE! Talk with you later....

Old 08-22-2003, 08:24 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

> They told me that it's hard to find steel wheels that run true

Total bunk unless the OEM is putting out junk. A good steel wheel might be 3-4 oz out at the most. Anything 6 oz. or over is defective unless it is a monster wheel with a width of 12+.

Old 08-23-2003, 09:44 PM
neverenough
Elder User

rebocardo,

It's not the weight that is the problem. They are warped, the runout on them is bad. Two of the rims make the tires oval so there is high and low spots on the tire. The other one is side to side so the tire wanders side to side.

Old 08-23-2003, 10:13 PM
neverenough
Elder User

Originally posted by Scooter29
Hey there neverenough! There's an old saying: ___ me once, shame on you. ___ me twice, shame on me. I'm glad to hear things are working out though. All the scraping and painting will keep you in good shape! HEE HEE! Talk with you later....
They are the only ones in the area that can align the older trucks. I was hoping the first time was just a fluke, but....

Old 08-24-2003, 12:31 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

I have mounted many new rims (mostly Ford) and never had a problem with them. Even the five used Ford rims, 20+ years old, on my truck are true that I got from junk yards.

There is no reason to settle for that sub-standard junk. What brand are they anyways? I want to make sure I avoid it when I buy new rims.

Old 08-25-2003, 02:05 AM
neverenough
Elder User

I don't know what brand they are. Everyone in the area gets these type of wheels from the same wholesaler. I thought they were a little odd when I first seen them becouse they are very thick. The metal is about twice as thick as factory rims. I will look closely at them tomorrow before I take them back to see what markings they have on them.

Old 08-26-2003, 10:57 PM
neverenough
Elder User

Accuride is the name stamped on them.

Quick Reply: New steel wheels out of round are...