Service Engine Soon Light

Old 08-12-2003, 11:59 PM
John Hancock
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Service Engine Soon light has been on for a couple of weeks now. I change my own oil/filter(s) and do most maintance.

Is there any way to get the light to go off without taking it to a dealership?

'99 F-250 light duty, 4X4, super cab, 5.4ltr

Old 08-13-2003, 01:00 AM
gkbid
Senior User

Take it to Advance Auto, Auto Zone, or O'Rielly's...they'll all read the codes for free. It will give you a good indication of what caused the "CEL" and you'll find this forum very helpful with regard to how to correct it.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:40 PM
John Hancock
New User

Thanks for the info...I always forget about Auto Zone's service. Thanks again

Old 08-16-2003, 04:50 PM
tonypal22
New User

I am having the same problem. I change my own oil, but I was told if the engine is not reset somehow, this light comes on after a certain mileage between resetting. If you find out anyhting I would appreciate the info, and I will do the same- Thanks

Old 08-19-2003, 11:05 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru

While some vehicles do indicate maintenance services, I believe the Ford "Service Engine Soon" light only comes on if some sort of trouble is indicated. You can reset it by disconnecting the battery completely for a few minutes, but it will probably just come back on though you might lose a trouble code that you would later wish you had. Your truck may also run poorly for a while afterward just because the computer has to relearn some of its parameters.

You should get it read as soon as possible. Especially since you can get it free--they can't make you buy the repair-- and then you can make a better decision on what to do (if anything). Incidentally, in most places, you will automatically fail the emission test if that light is lit, or fails to light and then go off upon start up.

Last edited by MrBSS; 08-19-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:11 PM
exploderfan
New User
I just had this problem with my 99 F250. Twice now in fact.
I took it to dealer to find the trouble and asked the same as above poster. Does this mean service is due or is it a problem. he said it indicates problems, they stopped using the light a few years back to indicate service intervals. My trouble first time was EGR valve and ports in intake were fouled with oil and they had to be cleaned. Less than a week later the light is back on and tomorrow I go back for a hookup to computer to see what coded this time.

Mike

Old 03-17-2008, 10:34 AM
whimsey
Senior User
The dealer charges over $100 just to read the codes. I went to Walmart and purchased an INNOVA code reader for less than a hundred bucks. This way when I go to a mechanic or dealer at least I know what's wrong and what's BS. It's paid for itself already.

Whimsey

Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 AM
exploderfan
New User
well, I went and they now had a different code stored. It pointed to EGR valve. Replaced it and have not, so far, had any problems with it.

I agree that the cost to just hook up and read codes is abusive, and will probably do the same, go buy myself one.

Mike

Old 03-17-2008, 11:01 AM
BillC
Elder User

Even if you go buy a code reader, the mechanic or dealer is still going to diagnose your vehicle. Who would you get mad at if you took your truck in and said it was code PXXXX now change this part, and it doesn't fix it.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 AM
exploderfan
New User
not what I would do in any case. I would at least know when they say it's code yyyy and I know the reader came back with xxxx. That way I could decide to continue with that dealer or move on to another. Also, I repair a lot of my own troubles and this would help in that area as well.
Mike

Old 03-17-2008, 12:09 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Don't be surprised when that same fault comes back. EGR valve failures are quite rare and the odds are good that the problem is elsewhere.

Steve

Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
exploderfan
New User
I hope not. I just bought this truck and was hoping for a decent time with it. They already tore off the intake and cleaned all the ports and installed new gaskets. Now the valve. What else would trigger a code that specifies the EGR valve?

Mike

Old 03-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by exploderfan
I hope not. I just bought this truck and was hoping for a decent time with it. They already tore off the intake and cleaned all the ports and installed new gaskets. Now the valve. What else would trigger a code that specifies the EGR valve?

Mike
A bad DPFE sensor(EGR flow).
JL

Old 11-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Robert Clapper
New User
CHT sensor

My "service engine soon" warning light came on today and Auto Zone read the codes to indicate a failed CHT sensor. Coolant was low but temp gauge has never read hot. Should I try to replace it by removing the alternator or take it to the Ford shop? 2000 F250, 5.4. What might they charge?

Old 11-06-2014, 06:26 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Post the exact fault code. Do NOT rely on the drone at AutoZone for a diagnosis.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Light