1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Ceramic brake pads-Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 01:32 PM
redvet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm going to change my brake pads before they scuff up my rotors.
Trying to avoid that dreaded rotor stuck to hub problem.
I was told to go with ceramic pads.
However I don't know anything about them.
So where else but here would I get that info.

Old 08-12-2003, 09:09 AM
tonum24
Senior User

QUIET STOP™ Disc Brake Pads are an exclusive blend of ceramic ingredients that provides the quietest and cleanest braking capabilities, while delivering increased stopping power and the highest level of safety. QUIET STOP Disc Brake Pads are designed for today's drivers who want ultra-quiet braking, ultra-low dusting on their wheels, and exceptional durability. For best braking results, use with PG Plus VSM™ Rotors

Old 08-12-2003, 10:34 AM
redvet
Senior User

I just bouight a set of Raybestos Ceramic QS's.
$79.99 at AutoZone.
Will maybe do the install Friday.Gotta see how bad my present pads are or I'll just hold them.
Like I said I don't want to turn the rotors.They have got to be stuck to the hubs.
Scuffing up the Ceramic pads should work with the present rotors as they're in great shape.
One way or another I'm going to have my brake sysem flushed.It's been 4 years and it's always good to get some fresh fluid in those brake lines.

Old 08-12-2003, 01:40 PM
ms6073
Junior User

Oiy - I did not think that Autozone sold Raybestos Quiet Stop brake pads since I did not see them listed on the main website!

I did my brakes last month and had to get the pads at Pep Boys - cost $89 + tax. We have 83,000 miles on our Expdy and seeing as I only have a 4x2, I dont have the same problem with regards to rotors/hubs. I will say that in my research on the matter I did read some posts (here and at another forum) from users who had switched to QS pads and either did not replace or did not resurface the rotors. I recall that there were a few posts from some owners reporting that they experienced rotor warping after swapping to QS pads (possibly due to the higher heat generation?)

Since in my case, I only needed to do the front, just to be on the safe side I also purchased new rotors ($67 each from O'rielly's Auto parts). From my perspective in terms of braking efficiency, braking is much improved - when compared to what it was with worn-out Ford pads! Also, before, I had to clean the wheels every week but since I switched to the QS pads, although we only use our truck for weekend driving we have logged some 700-miles and now I can not discern anything other than road grime on the front wheels.

Michael

Old 08-12-2003, 02:12 PM
redvet
Senior User

ms6073
You're right.The Raybestos are not on their website.
Did some internet research on QS's and found someone bought a set at AutoZone.
Called my local AutoZone and they had one set in stock.
I also found out that Nissan has been using ceramic pads on some of their models including the Pathfinder since 1987.
Japanese made Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads .

Interesting point on the rotor warp issue.

Old 08-12-2003, 02:31 PM
tonum24
Senior User

I highly doubt that using ceramic pads would increase heat to the rotor, if anything it would be cooler because the ceramic compound would absorb more heat. I put them on my EB without resurfacing the rotors and they caused no problem and I have 10k miles on the new pads.

Old 08-12-2003, 02:37 PM
redvet
Senior User

Originally posted by tonum24
I highly doubt that using ceramic pads would increase heat to the rotor, if anything it would be cooler because the ceramic compound would absorb more heat. I put them on my EB without resurfacing the rotors and they caused no problem and I have 10k miles on the new pads.

I love your post,tonum24!!

Old 09-07-2003, 01:18 PM
southprk
Senior User

I put ceramic on mine..

I ordered autozone's ceramic brand for about $50, but they weren't raybestos.. Pep boys wanted $89.99, but I went to Smyth and told them Auto Zone was selling me ceramic pads for $50 - Smyth carries the Raybestos and sold me real Raybestos brand quiet stop for $50.55 plus tax, the auto zone version was $48.99. I did use generic rotors which was probably a mistake (I didn't know how damn hard they are to get off. If you do this I woudl seriously recommend using some anti-seize on the surface of the rotor. Also your brakes have anti-rattle clips - make sure to use that little tube of brake lube included with your pads on those and on the caliper slides or else your expensive pads will wear a lot in the first few days of driving.

Goodluck!

Old 09-08-2003, 11:19 AM
redvet
Senior User

Originally posted by southprk
I put ceramic on mine..

I ordered autozone's ceramic brand for about $50, but they weren't raybestos.. Pep boys wanted $89.99, but I went to Smyth and told them Auto Zone was selling me ceramic pads for $50 - Smyth carries the Raybestos and sold me real Raybestos brand quiet stop for $50.55 plus tax, the auto zone version was $48.99. I did use generic rotors which was probably a mistake (I didn't know how damn hard they are to get off. If you do this I woudl seriously recommend using some anti-seize on the surface of the rotor. Also your brakes have anti-rattle clips - make sure to use that little tube of brake lube included with your pads on those and on the caliper slides or else your expensive pads will wear a lot in the first few days of driving.

Goodluck!
The ceramic pads are on a couple of weeks now and they're great.
Never turned the rotors.Just scoffed them up a bit and have no problems.Much less brake dust.
Used the anti rattle clips.Cleaned rust off and applied the brake lube.
The $49 pads at Autozone were Morse ceramics.Don't know anything about them.I hear the NAPA Ceramix pads are Raybestos QS's.
You got a great deal paying $51 for Raybestos QS's.
www.rockauto.com had them for $63.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:06 PM
partsman1
New User

im a parts manager at a ford store and we have installed several
sets of the motorcraft super duty pads with good customer response.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:40 PM
southprk
Senior User

Yeah I didn't even ask him to give me a discount, I bought 2 rotors, some polishing stuff, etc - the total bill was about $150 but I think if you talk with Smyth they will give you the shop discount.