How to replace neutral safety switch

Old 08-03-2003, 02:13 PM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

1989 F250, C6

Random starting problems. Starter relay did not fix it.

Old 08-03-2003, 06:04 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The neutral safety switch is located on the transmission shift lever. Its held onto the transmission case by 2 bolts in slotted holes. You will need to remove the kickdown lever. The switch will slip off the shift lever with just a little pry if dirty. Replace the switch while the transmission is in neutral. There is a small hole in the side of the switch to stick a small pin or awl into to locate the neutral position of the switch. I would try to adjust the old switch before replacing it.

Old 08-03-2003, 06:32 PM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic

More developments. I tried to start the truck today and all I heard was a fairly loud "click". I had the starting problem for a few months but never heard a click before.
Does this mean the starter solenoid is bad (the one on the starter, not the relay on the fender)? In addition to the neutral safety switch? Or is this the same problem?
The second time I turned the key it started really well.

Last edited by carpe_diem; 08-03-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:25 PM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic

One more thing, I am going to try to start it in "N" if that works, it is the neutral safety switch. If not, it is the starter.

Ignition switch is another possibility however.

Old 08-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,656 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Do you have an old thread where you have tried some other stuff. Because your problem could be caused by a dirty connection at the battery, or a bad cable. One way to check it is turn the headlamps on, and then try to start it. If the headlamps go out when it won't start, then you have a bad battery, battery cable, or connection. If the headlamps stay bright when it won't start, then you might have a relay problem, or possibly the neutral safety switch if you don't get a "click" from the relay. Also if they stay bright, then it could be the connection on the starter, or the starter itself. The old style Ford starters do not have a solenoid on the starter itself like a chevy does.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:33 AM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic

I just tried it in the dark. The lights do not go out, not affected at all. Which means it is either:
1) Neutral safety switch (The FSM calls it neutral start switch)
2) Starter
3) connection
4) ignition switch

I will look at the neutral safety switch first, as the easiest. If that doesn't help, move on to starter. I do feel it is probably the neutral safety switch.

Last edited by carpe_diem; 08-04-2003 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:06 PM
nzabka
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In past experience, it sounds like you most likely have a bad connection somewhere. Also, check your ground cable from your battery to the frame or wherever it is grounded. Better yet, just clean all your major battery/starter/ground connections. I've had so many friends bring their vehicle to me and it's usually a connection problem.

Old 08-04-2003, 07:29 PM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic

Update -
I tried starting in N a bunch of times -- no problems (thus far). So it might be the neutral safety switch after all. I would like to see a failure to start in N, then that would really point to a bad connection.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:18 AM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic

It is really the neutral safety swtich, all the classic symptoms of being able to start in N but not P most of the time.

How do I adjust it?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Opus54
New User
Same problem

I have the same problem, for the past 2 days, the first time i get into my truck, it failed to start, yesterday, I put it into nuetral and coasted back 5 feet to get a jump but then tried to start it, and it fired up and for the rest of the day it started fine.

today, it failed first thing also, after putting shifter into N, tried, failed twice, after moving the shifter a little still in nuetral, it started up and for the resat of day so far it has started

would that be the Nuetral safety switch? what kind of connection problem could it be if it was and why does it only fail the 1st time and start the rest of the day?

thanks

1998 Ford Expedition
4wd, Eddie Bauer Edition

Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Franklin2
It could be the neutral safety switch, sometimes the contacts get burnt and messing with it scrapes away enough of the burnt stuff to where it will make a good connection.

Problem is you have a newer vehicle. Your neutral safety switch is not as simple as the earlier switches, it also has a bunch of wires that tells the computer what gear you have selected.

Go down on the side of the tranny and see if you can find the switch. When you find it, look for a darkblue/orange wire and a tan/red. The darkblue/orange comes from fuse 21 which is fed by the ignition switch, and the tan/red goes and feeds the starter motor terminal. If you could somehow jump these wires out, you could see if the problem went away and verify it is the switch. Just be careful if you do this, it will start in gear.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Opus54
New User
How is the NSS connected to the Turn Shifter? Is there a rod or wire going from the steering column to the NSS/Tranny?

I had a problem this past month with a couple of wires coming loose from the turn signal plug, so that when my column was all the way up, they would work but moving the column down made the turn signals not work

Could this be a problem with the NSS also? could a wire have come loose from the harness/plug in the column?

Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Franklin2
It's located on the side of the tranny where the lever goes in on the driver's side.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Opus54
New User
Thats not what I asked

I asked how is the NSS attached to the steering column? there are wires going from the switch to the steering column right? could those have come loose in the column?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH IS ON THE TRANSMISSION NOT THE STEERING COLUMN, AND CONTROLLED BY THE SHIFT LEVER AT THE TRANSMISSION.

is that easier to read??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace neutral safety switch