Computer Chips & Tuners  

Edge cts fried my ECM and itself

Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge cts fried my ECM and itself

So went out to the ex today and decided to put it on extreme mode. Went threw the programming and the program got to bank 4 of 4 98% then shut off and smoke came out the unit. I quickly disconnected it and let it sit for an hour. Plugged it back in and was amazed it turned on. Went threw the setup process and it gives me a voltage error. Checked voltage at batteries and have 12.6 on each. Tried to start the truck and cranks no start. Theft light flashing fast. So something wrong with the pats module. Checked all fuses and relays. Tried my other original key to no avail. Hooked up my genisis evo scan tool and I can't communicate with the ECM or the pats system. Calling my ford buddy (35 years exp) comming over tomorrow. He thinks the ECM is fried. What can edge do about this? Buy me another ECM and give me my money back on their programmer? Going dp tuner after this.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:06 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002exPSD
What can edge do about this? Buy me another ECM and give me my money back on their programmer?
In my non-legal minded opinion, in order to get Edge to do remotely anything, you would have to show definitively that it did indeed cause this issue. I'm not saying it didn't, but I don't know that it did either.

I find it strange that you didn't find any fuses that were blown, particularly the one to the cigarette lighter as that is shared with the OBD-II port for power (at least on the 6.0 it is). I have seen the lighter blow fuses and ruin itself as well (I had to replace one myself on my 02 dodge). You would never know unless you tried to plug something up into either the lighter or the OBD-II port, so depending on how often you plug up to any of those ports, it could have happened a long time ago. I know, I sold an xCal 2 to a user from the 6.0 forums here and we couldn't get the unit to power up in his truck, but it would for mine, turned out to be a blown fuse. Everything else operated as it should.

I would check that fuse again and make sure that there isn't a small crack, burn in that and make sure that it's the correct fuse for that spot. I just find it surprising that you hadn't found a blown fuse, that's the whole point of having fuses is to help prevent an electronic device from pulling too much juice, which is an inherent risk of any electronic device.

Although, I have heard of one other person on this group that was blaming Edge for a situation like this. I don't know what became of that, I don't recall him saying. So there is that.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:22 AM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Checked fuse 12 already 20 amp fuse. Replaced fuse 12,19,36,44. All fuses were good. Just took a precaution. Cigarette lighter always has gps plugged in it. Gps still working.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:19 AM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
My buddy ken came over with his IDS scan tool. ECM is done. Totally fried.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
I'm not surprised that the ECM is fried considering that you said the Edge tuner was smoking. I'm just surprised that it was so localized of an issue and fuses didn't blow. Fuses should below before you have uses like that, that's the point of fuses, otherwise you have issues like that.

Unfortunately, I can see that being used against you though. I don't know though, I might be surprised, especially if it is more of a widespread problem then just the two that I've heard about.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
So went out to the ex today and decided to put it on extreme mode. Went threw the programming and the program got to bank 4 of 4 98% then shut off and smoke came out the unit. I quickly disconnected it and let it sit for an hour. Plugged it back in and was amazed it turned on. Went threw the setup process and it gives me a voltage error. Checked voltage at batteries and have 12.6 on each. Tried to start the truck and cranks no start. Theft light flashing fast. So something wrong with the pats module. Checked all fuses and relays. Tried my other original key to no avail. Hooked up my genisis evo scan tool and I can't communicate with the ECM or the pats system. Calling my ford buddy (35 years exp) comming over tomorrow. He thinks the ECM is fried. What can edge do about this? Buy me another ECM and give me my money back on their programmer? Going dp tuner after this.

Excursions are temperamental for sure. Do you know if the Edge preformed the PATS re-program. If not it probable got pissed off enough to not let the truck start and is why you are sitting with a dead truck. Before you do anything expensive call Edge tech support for their advice.

~Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Edge told me to grab the cts plug it into computer and download the software they emailed. Then hook it to truck and try to reconnect to the truck. Same message displayed voltage failure. Told me to send the tuner to them they think there's something wrong with it. I kept trying to tell them the ECM is fried. They said it's the tuner not the ECM. What am I supposed to do in the meantime? Pull my 9000 lb work trailer with my ranger?

Yanked the ECM out in the meantime. Took it apart. Smelled burnt and there's a spot that's melted. So both the cts and my ECM is fried.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:29 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Pull my 9000 lb work trailer with my ranger?
I see people around here do far worse then that. It's downright scary.

Yanked the ECM out in the meantime. Took it apart. Smelled burnt and there's a spot that's melted. So both the cts and my ECM is fried.
Yea, I sure wouldn't trust it, that's for sure.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:13 PM
First,On,Race,Day
Same happened to me!!

About 6 months ago I changed from level 2 to go to level 3. Right after it programmed the truck ran like ****!! It was throwing 6 different codes. Mass air sensor,throttle body,02 sensor,etc. Could barely get it to go down the rd. Changed the settings back to stock but no luck. So I unplugged the programmer, MAS,02,TB then after a min or so I unplugged both sides of the battery an let it sit for 3,4hrs. Plugged the battery back up,cut it on,waited few secs then shut it off an plugged everything back up. Luckily it fixed it. But I didn't touch the programmer for weeks! But was missing my little extra power an mpg's! An after it did fine. Now, 2 weeks ago. Went to change my settings an same thing happened. But nothing is fixing it now. It has fried my ecu. It should be here in couple days but best beleave I wont be programing it!! I know the edge fried it!! Hate it to happen to any1 but its nice to know I ain't the only 1 its happened to!!
BTW; Yes, I know this is an old thread but same problem!!🤷‍♂️