1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

New Lug Wrench Gadget

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:26 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
New Lug Wrench Gadget

Found this rather fascinating thing quite by accident, while doing a Google search for something totally unrelated. I direct your attention to the second or middle video, seems it might fit our vans: Products - EZ Lug Wrench The version most interesting is the Adjustable 1:64 ratio model.

I'm not affiliated with these guys, will derive no benefit from sharing this here---just thought it would be useful, interesting at the minimum.

It appeals to me because typically I carry a selection of 3/4" drive ratchets, sockets, breaker bars etc used only to change tires on the road. In 8 years I've had exactly one flat that needed changing so those tools are seldom used, tend to take up space useful for other storage.

While I'm no sissy changing tires roadside is NOT the easiest thing done even with tools such as I carry. Along a freeway or other road is not a place I want to spend any more time than necessary---I've seen too many news reports of injury and damage caused by distracted drivers.

If this device does half as well as claimed it'd be great addition for those seldom occasions where there's no avoiding a freeway pit stop. I've been talking to the vendor and might just pull the trigger on this---anyone want or need Wright Tools 3/4" drive tools, cheap?

Old 07-24-2014, 12:51 PM
kountzecobra
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please keep us posted.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Harbor freight has something like the last one for about the same $. They also have a 12v lug wrench and a 120v one both less than $60 particularly on sale. I have one of each and both work well, and sometimes seem better than an air wrench!

12v is for carry in the car, the 120 I carry in the rv or will when we travel in the pickup.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I can't even tell what it is or what it does or how it works....
I'll take it.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:09 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Im50fast
I can't even tell what it is or what it does or how it works....
I'll take it.
I know right? Heck they look so cool I almost paid full retail at first sight.

I hope to have something wrapped up and on it's way within a day or two. Once it arrives I'll test it myself then maybe have a neighbor chick give it a try too. She's totally without any mechanical skill or interest, would make a perfect test as to its ease of operation.

Harbor freight has something like the last one for about the same $. They also have a 12v lug wrench and a 120v one both less than $60 particularly on sale. I have one of each and both work well, and sometimes seem better than an air wrench!

12v is for carry in the car, the 120 I carry in the rv or will when we travel in the pickup.
I've never owned anything Harbor Freight, being a bit of a tool snob that I am. I appreciate their low cost but when it comes to something I'd heavily rely upon during a time of high need a long reputation of quality and performance is my first consideration. Harbor Freight is a great place for the occasional tool user---I fall outside that category though.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
I got a Harbor Freight unit for the Suburban 2500 after dealing with a flat. I haven't tried it. The E150 lug nuts don't go on as tight as the 'burb's so the OE lug wrench is fine.

Sixto
93 E150 Chateau 5.8 189K miles

Old 07-26-2014, 05:24 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
I had one of these on my eBay watch list---with the aid of my Auction Sniper won it for a whopping $12.85, shipping adding $14.99 so total cost of $27.84. Can't really beat that price, even if its junk weight alone should recoup me most of that from a metal recycler.

eBay Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151356425358...84.m1497.l2649

It should be here in a week or so, I'll have more details on its ease of use etc. Photos too, see if I can snag the cute neighbor gal to add some glamour to that presentation.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JWA
I had one of these on my eBay watch list---with the aid of my Auction Sniper won it for a whopping $12.85, shipping adding $14.99 so total cost of $27.84. Can't really beat that price, even if its junk weight alone should recoup me most of that from a metal recycler.

eBay Link: Easy Lug Nut Wrench Torque Multiplier Labor Saving Truck RV Semi Socket Vehicle | eBay

It should be here in a week or so, I'll have more details on its ease of use etc. Photos too, see if I can snag the cute neighbor gal to add some glamour to that presentation.
You should be doing advertising, JW, now I'll be on the edge of my seat waiting for "the girl next door" video! haha

I have bought tools and stuff from HF. Mostly satisfied if one is careful to look over what you are getting. The times something messed up, they gave me a refund or replacement.

I was in there the other day (I get emailed coupons!) and got hooked on this item. I have many other torque wrenches but I had to add this to the collection. It seems to work fine and agrees with my other wrenches:

http://image.carcraft.com/f/techarti...o-read-out.jpg

jim

Old 07-27-2014, 06:17 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Hey Jim---I'll have the neighbor gal get gussied up for this!

I scored one of these things via FleaBay, will have a whopping $28 in it by the time it hits my front porch. Slightly used, missing a few sockets I'd never use anyway so at that price its worth as much scrapped out as it cost. Here's my winning page link: Easy Lug Nut Wrench Torque Multiplier Labor Saving Truck RV Semi Socket Vehicle | eBay

Under that same category are quite a few of the same thing so my initial thought they're imported seems to hold up. Considering a "real" torque multiplier runs hundreds of $$$ more something for $100 +/- isn't Made In America.

Harbor Freight has a great return policy, I'm on a site or two where members use them regularly. As a tool snob and looking back I honestly cannot recall a time I've had to warranty anything top notch I've bought. I'm still using a Mac Tools socket set purchased brand new in 1985, Bosch jig saw from 1991, more than a few Milwaukee corded tools bought in good condition but gently used. Sadly tool companies won't get rich off me, not unless I stop losing great tools due my forgetful nature.

The electronic torque meters have always intrigued me too---don't have an overwhelming need for one though. While that rarely stops me from buying something most of my torque-sensitive needs are currently met with a selection of Wright Tools torque wrenches. USA made, ridiculously inexpensive new or nearly new via FleaBay.

Love to know how those E-Wrenches work, how they hold up etc etc. I'm thinking if the display is also back lit they'd be pretty much perfect?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched the video for the EZ lug wrench because I couldn't picture how the thing worked by just looking at the picture. Looks like they are taking off left hand threaded lug nuts - I kept thinking "righty tighty, lefty loosey."

I'm like Hank - got a 120V Harbor Freight impact gun for the E-450 RV. I got caught once in my old RV not able to take off a flat due to stuck lug nuts. Never again.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:44 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
I was about to update this anyway so thanks for the thoughts Spike. While I don't dismiss the idea of a HF tool for this same job its not my choice, I much prefer something I can operate entirely by hand if power isn't available. The EZ Lug wrench and its variants fit that bill for me, YMMV.

BTW Spike this tool is nothing more than a torque multiplier, albeit a much cheaper version. It will and does operate either clock or counter clockwise without changing anything other than the inputs direction of rotation. Think of it more like a breaker bar and not a ratchet.

My original purchase arrived on time but sadly it was in more pieces that depicted in the FleaBay auction page. Seller apologized, refunded my costs and told me to scrap the defective tool. For those interested here's my photo page: Defective EZ Lug Wrench Photos by JWAPhotos | Photobucket

Another tool has been secured and on its way now---I'll follow-through on all this when it arrives, assuming it too isn't in more pieces than designed.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Very interesting find, I've never seen anything like it. Very curious to see your video review when you get a functioning tool!

Old 08-03-2014, 07:57 PM
jonesg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those things are the cats meow, I'm going to get one to keep in the van...some day.
meanwhile I got sick of fighting with lugnuts and rusted exh bolts etc on my E350 van so I bought a Milwaukee 18v lithium impact wrench.
I've retired the airtools since getting it.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jonesg
Those things are the cats meow, I'm going to get one to keep in the van...some day.
meanwhile I got sick of fighting with lugnuts and rusted exh bolts etc on my E350 van so I bought a Milwaukee 18v lithium impact wrench.
I've retired the airtools since getting it.
I have a three Milwaukee V28 tools about to go up for sale, one is the 1/2" square drive impact gun. That thing is a bear, both in power and heft. Good news is they're fully compatible with the newer M28 batteries.

The newer M18 1/2" impacts are claimed to have improved power over everything that came before them---plus they're relatively small and lighter too.

This lug wrench device pretty much negates the need for the V28 impact though as it was used only on road trips just in case a road side flat change was necessary.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:28 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
I have a three Milwaukee V28 tools about to go up for sale, one is the 1/2" square drive impact gun. That thing is a bear, both in power and heft. Good news is they're fully compatible with the newer M28 batteries.

The newer M18 1/2" impacts are claimed to have improved power over everything that came before them---plus they're relatively small and lighter too.

This lug wrench device pretty much negates the need for the V28 impact though as it was used only on road trips just in case a road side flat change was necessary.
I'm interested in buying a good battery operated 1/2" drive impact. Please direct me to your items.

Quick Reply: New Lug Wrench Gadget