1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

54 f350

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 PM
mattjarma
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
54 f350

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum, but here goes anyway. I have a 54 F350 flatbed that my step father bought for my 15 yr old son. It is still mostly original with the 223 and 4 speed. My questions are this: is the frame the same as an F 100? I realize the wheelbase is different, but I just mean the frame in general. I am planning on putting an F100 bed on it (I have a friend's who owns a chassis shop and will shorten the wheelbase) and later model half ton running gear. What is the best donor vehicle? Any help would be appreciated.

Matt Jarma
Temple, TX

Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Welcome to FTE! We would love to see pictures of what you have.

The frame is the same width. Someone had mentioned that the frame might be a little thicker. Of course wheel base as you know is different. IIRC, you might have to remove some of the frame from in front and behind the real axle. (Someone smarter than I will set that record straight.)

This image might help:

Also check this out: New Page 2

As for the running gear. Well that all depends on what you are looking to accomplish. People have done just about everything on here. Myself, I prefer stock.

What are your plans for the flatbed?
Are you looking at installing an IFS? If you change out the rear, you will probably need to change out the front axle to match wheel bolt pattern. Looking for disc brakes?

Here is the first of many parts of front suspension options:
Front Suspension Alternatives for 1948 - 1960 Ford Trucks, Part One | Ford Trucks

Here is an article on rear end options:
1948 through 1960 Ford F-1 and F-100 Rear Axle (differential) Swaps | Ford Trucks

Did I mention we need pictures.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM
mattjarma
Junior User
I'm working on pictures, but not too sure how to post them on here. I am also looking for a radiator for this truck that ISN'T $500-800. Sone has some old radiator out of something in the truck and it leaks like the Exxon Valdeez!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mattjarma
I'm working on pictures, but not too sure how to post them on here. I am also looking for a radiator for this truck that ISN'T $500-800. Sone has some old radiator out of something in the truck and it leaks like the Exxon Valdeez!
Welcome to FTE!

Adding pictures is easy nowadays. If the pic is on your computer, just hit the Attachments paperclip icon above the post and browse to the pic on your computer. Upload it, then select it from the Attachments icon again. It will be placed wherever you have your cursor in the post.

Or, if you have your pics stored in an account like Photobucket, you can pull them from there by hitting the Insert Image icon and copying the URL.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:22 PM
mattjarma
Junior User
@Harrier....I would like to make this truck more "streetable" for my son. I prefer stock myself, but this will be a daily driver. With a 5.14 ratio rear gear (Timken), it isn't going anywhere in a hurry. I work for a towing company, so we come across vehicles that are abandoned all of the time. I have my eyes on a later model Crown Vic (thinking of using the IFS out of it, too) and an early 90s Chev or Ford half ton truck. Might even eventually find a nice 302 and auto tranny for it.

Matt Jarma
Temple, TX

Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
How old is your son? Maybe the 5.14 is a good option. It would keep is speed down. Although I could see a kid running an engine at 4000 to 5000 rpm to get all the speed he can out of it. (and need a new engine often)

I'm leaving my 4.88 ratio in for now. I'm sure I will want to change it soon after I get my truck driveable.

Lots of people have the 302 in their trucks. I'm far from an expert, but that sounds like a good choice. Be sure to keep us updated and ask away. There are lots of guys that have done just about everything on here and they gladly give good advice.

Oh yeah, pictures, we need pictures.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 PM
mattjarma
Junior User

Ok, I still haven't found the icon to post pictures on here, but I have put a couple of albums up on my profile.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mattjarma

Ok, I still haven't found the icon to post pictures on here, but I have put a couple of albums up on my profile.
I don't understand... I can see the picture you posted.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:16 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking truck. If you decide to modify the truck to "smaller", save that bed frame as it appears to be a Ford script bed. Several folks on here would like to have it.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 AM
mattjarma
Junior User
Yes, it is the factory bed (I am assuming) with the "Ford" script in the back panel. I also have all of the other smaller crossmembers that to with it. If this go well, I will have the original Timken rear end to sell, too.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:08 PM
dmack91
Elder User
I have a 289/C4 with a 3.25 Ford 9" in my 50 F1. The combo works well - good power and mileage compromise.

A general suggestion is to get it running and driving, safely, then do one mod at a time and drive it in between mods. It lets him enjoy the changes, one at a time, and still stay interested instead of blowing the whole truck apart and being overwhelmed by a huge stationary pile of parts.

Enjoy having a project to share with your son. Hopefully, he will keep it and remember the good times you had working on it together.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:52 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Personally I think the bigger F-350 front end is going to look funny with a f-100 bed, maybe you could consider an F-250 8-ft bed? Although they are harder to come by.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:36 PM
mattjarma
Junior User
Ok, help me out here as I am new to this all. What is the difference in the F350 front end and the F100? As far as the F250 bed, I'm not opposed to it. Got any ideas on where to find one? Lol

Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Matt,
Good to see another nice Texas Truck getting saved. A few thoughts:

o This site is easier to use if you become a member - it get's rid of the annoying ads & you get a paperclip icon you can click that allows you to post pics directly from your hard drive. I think it runs $20/yr.

o After you have a few posts you can use the search function this '48-'56 section & find a lot of information on just about any modification you would want. Changing out the rear end is pretty straight forward - the front axle/suspsension not so much. There have been a few guys on here who just used a crown vic front end - it's a little too wide so they cut a few inches out of the aluminum cross member & rack. It's not for the faint of heart but it seemed to come out ok.

I'll look for you up in Temple as I'm up through there a couple of times a month as my son sloooowly goes through Baylor in Waco.

Looking good up there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 07-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Olweldinrig
Senior User
Now that dually looks like a truck!I wouldn't change a thing!

Quick Reply: 54 f350