1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Moog, Amazon & Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:51 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Moog, Amazon & Warranty

About to test Amazon's Customer Service and Moog's lifetime warranty---had an inner Lt side tie rod end fail after 13K miles and 8 months in service. Moog p/n DS1289.

Because I bought it from Amazon they're responsible for warranty stuff like this and I'm anxious to see how its handled through them. Sadly buying local would cost me quite a bit more so in that way I'm "stuck" going through them first.

I doubt I'll have any real issues other than waiting time. I'll update this as I learn more, it might serve as a report card on Amazon's policies and service after the original sale.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM
jack orchard
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty?

Thanks, JWA. I, too, am interested in your warranty claim.
When i buy from EBAY, Rock, Amazon, etc., i assume i will have to eat any defective parts. I am hoping money saved from the lower price will offset any loss i might incur from bad parts. That is why i try to buy quality parts (if such parts exist). A warranty replacement would be a nice bonus, but something i could not count on.
Another reason i buy from these internet sources is local sources are increasingly charging me shipping. If i have to pay shipping and have to wait for parts, i might as well order them myself and save time and money. That, combined with poorly trained, inexperienced employees who do not care about your business is another reason.
Please keep us posted. I also use Moog and Amazon. Thanks,..jack

Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Will do on the updates Jack----like yourself and a few others who do or have relied on 'net sales for good parts warranty claims are of high interest.

I don't really anticipate any real issues other than time to receive. Locally this same part would run me about $96. My free lifetime alignment warranty tire dealer will install and confirm their alignment for about $75.

Naturally my preference is to save that $96!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received reply from Amazon strongly suggesting they're about to ship out the replacement part. Interesting they seem to send an email with link asking for confirmation of original order number, affected part and ship to address.

So far pretty encouraging, at least they didn't tell me I'm SOL!

Here's the text of their email, edited slightly:

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about the problem with your order.

I do understand your concern that you would prefer replacement order.

Before a replacement order is created, please confirm the address below to ensure that your replacement order is sent to the correct location. We'll create a new order at no charge. Here's the address we have for your original order:

Here's the address we have:

Central Oho Windshield
REYNOLDSBURG, OH 43068-1599
United States
Primary Phone: XXX XXX-XXXX

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested:

http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-mi?c=cdfwugqr372899995&q=o2r

You can also contact us via phone or chat by visiting the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/contact-us

Once we receive this information we can take further action. I'm sorry if this additional step might cause you any inconvenience. I hope you'll understand that this will help us in assisting you more precisely.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
Ganesh S.
This was the first reply after I opened the issue which I think is highly encouraging.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I've dealt with a warranty issue or two with Amazon-sold products and have had outstanding service. Just recently it was a USB cable with a one-year warranty that failed after 10 months. They refunded the entire purchase price within 5 minutes of me reaching out to them. Remember that sometimes you buy stuff on Amazon that's sold from a third party, and in that case they can't handle returns directly.

Haven't had an issue with any auto parts I've bought from them, but I would expect the same service. I'm also a frequent customer of Rockauto, and they warranted a set of balljoints that I admittedly damaged when installing. I think most of your bigger online retailers get that way by treating customers right.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:16 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
So are they sending a return shipping label as well or do you need to pay for the shipping? Or don't they want the part back?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:51 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Wow---they're moving much quicker on this than I hoped or imagined---shows me for having so little faith huh?

Hello,

I'm so sorry about the problem with your recent order. I've created a replacement for you at no additional charge. Here are the details:

Order Number: 115-XXXXXXX-5641815
Shipping Speed: Two-Day Shipping
Guaranteed Delivery Date: Thursday, July 24, 2014

To return the defective item, please click the following link to print your return mailing label:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/orc/rml/DXKwx2xgcgiRRMA

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Grace V.
Seems I'll print my own return shipping label, pack the defective part and drop it all off at a UPS Store. Not a lot of work all things considered....

For the most part Amazon has always been outstanding in their service despite a few glitches experienced in the past 7-8 months. In the end I've never "lost" money, have always been (eventually) satisfied with my purchases.

What I do notice is issues with shipping, most notably something sold by Amazon, in stock but lingers in the "pending shipping" category for several days. Inquiring about that delay seems to move them along and suddenly everything is proceeding as expected. Its happened several times, apologies offered but never a reason---as long as I get my stuff reasonably on time I'm still okay with them.

Tom so far I've not had any issues with their third-party sellers but as you say having Amazon backing the customer makes a huge difference. For that reason alone I tend to buy from Amazon without any doubts or questions.

As I said earlier I'm saving at least 45% off what's available locally even with my so-called discounts. With Amazon stepping up on this warranty issue its still the best overall deal I've found so far.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:38 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Well Amazon has certainly performed exceptionally well in my little issue---the replacement part is due at my address no later than Thursday, just two days after initial contact.

They sent a reminder email about returning the defective part, also provided a printable shipping label and packing slip. Following their instructions I avoid any costs, the only effort from me is dropping the part off at a UPS Store.

Such prompt action gives me high confidence when buying from Amazon, especially something with a lifetime warranty.

I hope this has been helpful to anyone thinking of using Amazon for similar purchases. For brand name top quality parts they're still very, very tough to beat.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:19 AM
niner
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used Amazon in the past for car parts and been similarly happy. I haven't had any warranty returns (fingers crossed) but I have had my share of service requests. One time I ordered an evap canister for my wife's car based on the model - turned out it was a running change and she needed the older canister. I had to ship back at my own cost (minimal) but there was no hassle otherwise.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:03 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Niner I've also had to return or exchange things bought online on my own dime. Whether having ordered the wrong item or no longer needed something it happens. Its much the same with local bought stuff too however it seems the online sellers are a tad better at accepting such exchanges.

When its my fault I'm glad to absorb costs with refunds or exchanges. In the end it makes me a bit more careful selecting things though.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
Well Amazon has certainly performed exceptionally well in my little issue---the replacement part is due at my address no later than Thursday, just two days after initial contact.

They sent a reminder email about returning the defective part, also provided a printable shipping label and packing slip. Following their instructions I avoid any costs, the only effort from me is dropping the part off at a UPS Store.

Such prompt action gives me high confidence when buying from Amazon, especially something with a lifetime warranty.

I hope this has been helpful to anyone thinking of using Amazon for similar purchases. For brand name top quality parts they're still very, very tough to beat.
That is awesome to hear. I know it's a somewhat small part but still glad they are footing the return shipping.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Ya know Dusty I bought all Moog tie rod ends, drag link and ball joints for my '03 E250 at the same time, free shipping there too since it exceeded their $35 minimum order.

I would think Moog compensates them for handling warranty issues on their behalf. Talking with Tech Service at Moog was told since they don't sell direct to anyone the point of sale is the only resource for returns or warranty claims.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:48 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Small update for anyone following or interested in Amazon's handling of such issues..........

New part did arrive as promised, my only requirement was returning the defective item, return shipping label and RMA packing slip emailed to me. As it turns out however the part wasn't defective, just a small error when it was installed. Considering it's been 5K miles ago I'm kinda shocked this wasn't more apparent since then as I've lubed the chassis at least once in that time.

Amazon performed as well as can be expected, offering great service through the whole process. The only unknown now is if they'll charge me for this error, at least shipping expenses. If so that's fine---my bad for not paying closer attention to all this in the first place.

Next move is on me, will have the alignment checked as it was "free" and part of my new Michelin tire purchase. Still happy with Amazon and their service though----they do follow through!

Old 07-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to give an update!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Tom
Thanks for taking the time to give an update!
'sallright!

Quick Reply: Moog, Amazon & Warranty