1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ebay issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay issues

Anyone lately have an issue with ebay sellers not following through on car sales?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:45 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Not a new problem to me. More often than not, bids are cancelled and if you are the seller, don't expect the buyer to make good.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:31 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had 4 "purchases" not go through lately. Sellers won't pay for a reserve auction but if it doesn't meet their price, they just tell ebay that they are backing out. I realize all ebay motor sales are non-binding but it is getting ridiculous.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:00 AM
hotrod351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all i ever got out of ebay on truck sales are dip-*****s that will bid to hit the reserve, retract the bid and bid $1.00 under. i guess to impress there looser friends. craigslist on the other hand ive done great. sold four vech. on there. and three did a direct deposit to my bank account for me to hold it. ill never try, or even think, of selling a vech on ebay again.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 AM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrod351
all i ever got out of ebay on truck sales are dip-*****s that will bid to hit the reserve, retract the bid and bid $1.00 under. i guess to impress there looser friends. craigslist on the other hand ive done great. sold four vech. on there. and three did a direct deposit to my bank account for me to hold it. ill never try, or even think, of selling a vech on ebay again.
Just out of curiosity, was the direct deposit a down payment, then they transferred the balance into your account when they picked up the vehicle? I am just trying to learn for when the time comes for me to sell.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Just out of curiosity, was the direct deposit a down payment, then they transferred the balance into your account when they picked up the vehicle? I am just trying to learn for when the time comes for me to sell.

An option that has worked well for me on CL is a sizable PayPal deposit. Sure, it costs you a few $$ but get a sizable deposit. Then it is cash on the balance at time of delivery or pickup.
Yeah, CL has been good for me.
Edit: I sold a motorhome on ebay classifieds a few years back, no problems.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:01 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I've bought and sold a fair amount of stuff, both big ticket and small, on eBay and only had one slightly bad experience from a total **** but I got it straightened out with the guy fairly quickly. I've also sold and bought on CL without a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I did have a second experience with eBay. I sold a cab to a guy in another state far away and got full payment. We communicated regularly about pick up of the cab for about a month but then the guy stopped responding to my emails. I called and left messages and even sent a registered letter, no response so after 3 months I sold the cab to someone else.

My son has used CL and a few times. One of the first times he was walking out the door to go check buy an item and luckily I asked where he was going. He was looking for a part for his car and a CL seller just happened to parting out the exact car. The seller was in a very dicey part of town, a place from my experience, where you wouldn't want to go without an armed guard. We live in a small town and my son is a little naïve and doesn't know the city. I checked CL and found numerous ads with the same format but with different cars. I emailed the seller asking for his phone number but he never got back to me. I wouldn't let me son go. Another time my son had a potential buyer for his car answer his CL ad. My son said he didn't feel comfortable about the guy when he talked to him on the phone. I told him to arrange the viewing in our local police department's parking lot, he did and the guy never showed up.