1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Joined this side of the forum also and have a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joined this side of the forum also and have a few questions?

Ok so today we just brought home our 13th vehicle a 1987 Ford E-350 Econoline cab and chassis Mallord motorhome 460 V8 C6 auto trans with 60K original miles on it. Mods include Banks exhaust system with headers and no cats as far as I can tell so far! Best part is she has a tittle and was FREE! I was told she ran but when I got their she wouldn't start. She cranks over great though! She has brand new tires on it (all 7 Michelins) 16s.

So far she has spark at the coil but won't fire off even when you prime her. I haven't checked spark at the plugs yet I ended up just towing her home.

So my questions are:

where can I decode the vin and such to get more info (FTE won't decode it)

Is there and if there is where is the hook up for the OBDI code reader?

My plan is to clean her up and get her running great again and use her to go camping and travel when we bring the Harleys out. I couldn't believe the shape this thing is in.
My family has had an Econoline before it was a 91 E150 351 AOD that we lost in a house fire. This kinda replaces it.
Thanks
Trav

Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Not too familiar with that engine but sounds like something in the distributor is amiss.

Since you've not yet checked for spark at the plugs that's your first and most important step. Seems to me I've read more than a few posts about the electronic ignition module, either inside the distributor housing or mounted externally that is most often a reason for your condition.

Also sounds like a thorough tune up with new plugs, cap, rotor, wires etc etc is in order too.

FWIW there is another sub-forum here that deals with your era engine---I know the guys and gals there would be very helpful. Try this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/

Hope to see some photos of your freebie sometime soon!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Ya if I can't get to many answers over here I will go over there.

Their is a couple of wires that have been chewed by rats that we are working on putting back right. Also will have to do a thorough tune up: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, plus an air filter, oil change, and find out why in the world their was no power steering fluid in it. Not sure weather to use ATF like I do with my 87-91 Ford trucks or just go with power steering fluid.

It has a brand new control module sitting inside the vehicle so I am going to replace it after we fix the few wires and such.

She does need a windshield, the window above the cab on the drivers side and a red light lens on the passenger rear light. Once we get her running going to play around with the generator (Onan 4K watt).

Since you asked so nicely pics (By the way the hub caps to the wheels are in the vehicle I took them off to air up the tires to spec and also make sure they didn't come flying off while pulling it home. I am going to probably put them back on later).

Old 07-07-2014, 12:00 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
If you were a bit closer to Columbus, Ohio I could do your windshield---I'm in that business. Sadly 120 miles one way is my max travel limit.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Naw I just got insurance on it today so they can replace it along with the one above since I got glass coverage.

I ended up today buying an air filter and vacuum line stuff to fix the broken vacuum lines. In a few minutes we are going to replace the control module and see if she fires up. It costs my dad (since I am only 18 and insurance would be crazy high on this vehicle) $24 a month. Also for $60 we got it registered for 5 years.

We decided we are going to leave the wheel caps off (probably as we never can go for a full decision) as we like the look better.
Also got to thoroughly inspect them tires being they have quite a bit of dry rot.

I have to check it out better to find out what model number it is so that I can book the price of it out to see what they go for (not that it matters I still can pay for the registration by using the junk that was in the motorhome). LOL

Also have to fix the main door to the home part as the glass fell out luckly didn't break so going to get that fixed (we know how to do that I use to have 2 other motorhomes with the exact door), the front vent on the roof needs the trim reinstalled, the upper windows need the tinfoil that was glued to them removed, it needs a water heater (I have two in the backyard but not sure if either work), I have to fix the tail pipe on the drivers side (it is a true dual exhaust) as I smacked it while driving and broke the hanger nothing I can't fix very easily, the dog house has a couple holder deal that is broken off (again nothing I can't fix me and my dad use to fix up older vans), and the rest is just fixing a couple small things like light bulbs and such.

I am not sure on the generator yet but to tell you the truth it is just as maintained as the motorhome itself. I probably will paint the wheels with some rattle can.

It is nothing 4 guys (me (18), my brothers (16 and 17) and my dad) can't take care of being we all know how to do construction and have mechanical abilities. Mom and little sister are still a little mad at us for bringing home number 13 but I know once we get out on the road (when we get the chance) they will love it.

If she won't start with the control module we will do a bit of diagnosing and post here, the 460 part of the forum, and probably will ask on ford 460 if we can't figure it out. I am defiantly going to be a bit slower working at this one being it is carbureted and my main domain is EFI but my dad has lots of knowledge their and I have some knowledge.
Trav

Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Trav,
For the OBD connector, try the right front corner, buried above the headlight, that's where the one on my '88 E150 is located.

I decoded my VIN here:
The Ford Truck 17-Digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder

Be careful of the tires. My brother's E350/FourWinds RV had old tires and he blew a back one on the interstate going through Atlanta at rush hour. It took him 3 lanes and a half mile to get it slowed enough to pull off the road. Luckily no one crashed but it probably scared several folks half to death.

It looks like a good project, just lots of little jobs needing doing.
jim

Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Ok so here is what I have been able to find out so far:

I couldn't find the OBD connector on the right side so maybe it doesn't have one.

Decoding the vin shows that it is an 1986 however tittle says 1987 but when the lady at the DMV put the VIN in it showed a 1986 and she had to manually change it to a 1987 like the original tittle said. Door tag reads 08/87. So do I get parts for an 87 E350 or a 86 E350?
So far I have been just saying 87 E350 carbed model being 87 had EFI and Carbs for the 460s.

As far as tires go I am being very adamant about inspecting them. Once I get her running good I probably will bring her in to my tire shop to inspect the tires.

Yesterday I got the inside able to walk in and out but I still have parts laying on the table and rear bed that need to be organized and such. Had my brother vacuum the carpet well while me and my dad got all the rats nest out of the engine. We were able to solder back some of the wires that were bare from rats or Mallard had done a junky job putting together. I got one or two vacuum lines back together but I have found 5 that I am not sure where they go.

The Vacuum advance line I need to figure out where it goes (any ideas)?
the rest our Misc lines 2 whites (which is the color of the Vacuum advance)
A red
and a green.

I also have one that appears to be for the A/C and is black.

I also got one wire that is Black with an Orange stripe that I can't figure out where it goes as their is no other one?

Also a White with black stripe wire that is in their by the carb that I need to find out where it goes.

Other then that not much updates. We did clean up the wheel caps and removed the lug nut simulators since not all were there and put them back on and we sorta like the look. We may go look at Napa if they have some more of those simulators.

Also found out it is a Mallard M240DD.

I will try to update with some pics if I get the chance to grab some.
Trav

Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Ok so a quick update:
Shes Alive!

Found a wire that turned out to go to the distributor. Pulled the distributor soldered the wire cleaned it up, soldered the other wires we found, fixed the vacuum lines, air filter, new cap, rotor, plugs, and wire and fired her right on up. She runs great too minus a few more small issues we have to fix.
Trav

Old 07-10-2014, 03:15 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
Ok so a quick update:
Shes Alive!

Found a wire that turned out to go to the distributor. Pulled the distributor soldered the wire cleaned it up, soldered the other wires we found, fixed the vacuum lines, air filter, new cap, rotor, plugs, and wire and fired her right on up. She runs great too minus a few more small issues we have to fix.
Trav
Yay, Trav!
Good work, looks like "Lucky 13" will be on the road again soon. :-)
jim

Old 07-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Just took her to town and back run like a dream and get pretty decent fuel mileage considering what it is.

Tuesday I am getting a new windshield for it they are coming out here. She gets a bit warm so I may put a thermostat on it.
Trav

Old 07-14-2014, 02:33 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
Just took her to town and back run like a dream and get pretty decent fuel mileage considering what it is.

Tuesday I am getting a new windshield for it they are coming out here. She gets a bit warm so I may put a thermostat on it.
Trav
Hi Trav,
this is a bit late but I found a VIN decoder, maybe:
VIN Decoder | fleet.ford.com

Your experience at the title office reminded me of this:

jim

Old 07-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Weird shows as a 86 on the decoder???

Oh well just will have to say it is an 87 but get parts for an 86.
Trav

Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Just found out the rear end in this puppy is a Dana 70 with 3.54 open diff.

I am not the most fond of open diffs especially on a truck with so much power. Then to find out it has a 3.54 axle ratio just plain sucks. My 88 F150 4x4 has 3.55 LS front and rear (yes LS in the front from the factory).
Good thing is that I have a D70 in the backyard for another project so if I ever have problems I can fix one or the other quickly if needed.
Trav

Old 07-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Smokstak is a great source for info on that Onan generator, I've gotten a ton of help from those guys to play with the genny's I have.

Just in case you need some hard to find data or obsolete parts

Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
thanks will have to check that out if I run into any problems. I still have to find out but recently I accidently hit the button and she cranked over. I haven't had the chance to check the fluids on it but when I do and if they are good I am going to try and start it.

Right now I still have to figure out why I have the cab clearance lights, rear running lights, and side marker lights in the rear all out along with reverse lights. I have turn but nothing else???
Trav

Quick Reply: Joined this side of the forum also and have a few questions?