1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F250 ..... here we go!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:15 AM
blue_cloud
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1955 F250 ..... here we go!

Pulled the 55 F250 into the shop. 6/20/2014

This truck was running about 6 years ago when parked. It wasn't on the road, but running.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:36 AM
blue_cloud
Junior User
carburetor cleaning and rebuild

So the first thing is NOT to leave your air cleaner on the seat of the truck for 6 or so years.

Mud wasps decided to pack the carb full of dirt and remnants of wasp parts.

I wish I had a before photo, but take my word for it it was packed with dirt!

The dirt obviously holds moisture so everything was froze up and any metal parts were rusty.

I managed to get it all freed up after a few days of treatment with PB Blaster and some well place whacks with the handle end of a screwdriver. After some more penetrant soaking, I disassembled every last piece of it.

Here are some photos of some soda blasting on the carb housing pieces.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:50 PM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work on the carb

Old 06-23-2014, 05:10 AM
PRG3216
Freshman User
Looks super clean.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome blue_cloud!

What are your plans?

DW

Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 AM
FORD14TPU
Senior User
I'll follow along as I have her sister truck out here on the west coast..

Old 06-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
And I've got your other sister here in Missouri.
We would love to hear your plans and lot's of pictures. It looks like it was painted at one time. The firewall looks like my Sea Sprite Green color.
Is it the 239 engine?

Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 PM
greenmachine55
Tuned
Welcome to the site!!! I believe I have your long lost brother!!! LOL
Ask away on the questions and good luck! The F250's are ornate!!!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 PM
blue_cloud
Junior User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Welcome blue_cloud!

What are your plans?

DW

My current plan is: Get the 1955 running and driveable, like a super quick fix the body mainly. More to preserve it for now and keep me fired up to get the 56 restored.

The long story is: I found the 55 while looking for parts for my 56, anyone know how that goes? I started a frame up restoration on the 56, had the frame bare, engine rebuilt (L6), was about to paint the frame when my shop and business burned to the ground. Thankfully the frame was outside, and the engine was on the 'cooler end' of the fire.

That was in 1995, and the trucks have been on the far back burner since then. I'm getting my feet back under me from that loss and have time now to work on the trucks.

So there is the 'plan'

Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 PM
blue_cloud
Junior User
Originally Posted by DougofMontana
Nice work on the carb
Originally Posted by PRG3216
Looks super clean.
Thanks, I wanted to try soda blasting, I figured the pot metal carb bodies would be a good test, didn't do much on the cast throttle body however.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 PM
blue_cloud
Junior User
Originally Posted by FORD14TPU
I'll follow along as I have her sister truck out here on the west coast..
Originally Posted by Harrier
And I've got your other sister here in Missouri.
We would love to hear your plans and lot's of pictures. It looks like it was painted at one time. The firewall looks like my Sea Sprite Green color.
Is it the 239 engine?
Originally Posted by greenmachine55
Welcome to the site!!! I believe I have your long lost brother!!! LOL
Ask away on the questions and good luck! The F250's are ornate!!!
To my siblings, thanks! yes I believe it is the sea sprite, I think? it's a 239 I knew all these specs front and back 20 years ago but that's long gone from the memory banks a present, I'll get it back as I get into the groove.

Photo of interior for color question

Last edited by blue_cloud; 06-23-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Add interior photo
Old 07-04-2014, 07:10 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_cloud
The long story is: I found the 55 while looking for parts for my 56, anyone know how that goes? I started a frame up restoration on the 56, had the frame bare, engine rebuilt (L6), was about to paint the frame when my shop and business burned to the ground. Thankfully the frame was outside, and the engine was on the 'cooler end' of the fire.

That was in 1995, and the trucks have been on the far back burner since then. I'm getting my feet back under me from that loss and have time now to work on the trucks.
Wow, I know exactly how you felt! I built this woodie for a customer starting with a 4 door 40 Chevy sedan, cut it up and built the woodie. The car was at a mechanics shop (who had no insurance or money) and his shop burned to the ground actually melting the wheels and parts of the frame. I also had another clients project, a 40 Ford that would be a woodie. That car also "melted" beyond salvation including a completely new frame and drive train with modern brand new suspension and wheels and tires. This happened in '02.

Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by blue_cloud
My current plan is: Get the 1955 running and driveable, like a super quick fix the body mainly. More to preserve it for now and keep me fired up to get the 56 restored.

So there is the 'plan'
Good luck with your project, terrible experience to go through with the fire, I hope things go a lot better this time around for you.

Originally Posted by topmoo
Wow, I know exactly how you felt! I built this woodie for a customer starting with a 4 door 40 Chevy sedan, cut it up and built the woodie. The car was at a mechanics shop (who had no insurance or money) and his shop burned to the ground actually melting the wheels and parts of the frame. I also had another clients project, a 40 Ford that would be a woodie. That car also "melted" beyond salvation including a completely new frame and drive train with modern brand new suspension and wheels and tires. This happened in '02.
Wow, that is a sweet woodie modification/transformation, great work. It must have been devastating mentally and financially for you. Heck of a shame. I hope you are recovering, or have recovered from that tragedy.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:34 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Aus56
Good luck with your project, terrible experience to go through with the fire, I hope things go a lot better this time around for you.
Wow, that is a sweet woodie modification/transformation, great work. It must have been devastating mentally and financially for you. Heck of a shame. I hope you are recovering, or have recovered from that tragedy.
It was hard to get over, it was for a very well known ex major league baseball manager and ex player, in that picture. He had several friends, also baseball players, who were waiting to see it running and driving - could have been my business if it hadn't been for the fire. I am going to build another in a year or two, as soon as I finish the two projects I have now. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by topmoo
It was hard to get over, it was for a very well known ex major league baseball manager and ex player, in that picture. He had several friends, also baseball players, who were waiting to see it running and driving - could have been my business if it hadn't been for the fire. I am going to build another in a year or two, as soon as I finish the two projects I have now. Thanks!
It must have been devastating seeing not only your work but your dreams for your future go up in smoke. From comments of yours I have read here, it sounds like you are working hard and I hope you are able to get on top of things and have another shot at the woodies and success comes to you. Good luck with it all.

Quick Reply: 1955 F250 ..... here we go!