292 --- Reviving

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:39 PM
ihcc104
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
292 --- Reviving

I just bought a 64 F350 with the 292. I took the spark plugs out and put marvel mystery oil in them and let it sit. I tried putting a ratchet and breaker bar on the engine and turning it by hand, but it wont budge. Where should I go next? I am afraid to try to start it and that it will break something. Suggestions?

Thanks Guys,

Cory

Old 06-08-2014, 10:59 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As you suspect, if it cant be turned manually, the starter shouldnt be used.

I have heard and read of accounts where guys did an initial upper cylinder lube, and then went out each day, manually trying to turn over the engine. One way, then the other, gaining a slight amount of movement each day, finally to break it free.

Personally, I think it is most of the time a waste of time. The times I have done it was with engines out of vehicle. The crank had to be turned to get the engine disassembled, and the cylinders were always a mess. Just take the intake and heads off and see what the problem is. Could very well be a broken head(s) which leaked coolant into cylinders, to sit and rust for years. Or if the engine sat exposed without hood or air cleaner, same deal. Or all could be ok. Then it is an opportunity to clean up rocker and chambers, install gaskets, and see what happens.

One home brew for a WD-40 type lube is 50% ATF and 50% Acetone. I've tried it a couple times on various things and still dont have an opinion on effectiveness. One thing for sure, it has to be shaken immediately before use because the concoction separates very quickly.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM
tomfiii
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you have any rust on plugs? You can try and use a pry bar on flywheel and see if you can get the motor to move in either direction even if a little,and if it moves just move it back and forth.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:04 PM
ihcc104
Elder User
Originally Posted by 46yblock
As you suspect, if it cant be turned manually, the starter shouldnt be used.

I have heard and read of accounts where guys did an initial upper cylinder lube, and then went out each day, manually trying to turn over the engine. One way, then the other, gaining a slight amount of movement each day, finally to break it free.

Personally, I think it is most of the time a waste of time. The times I have done it was with engines out of vehicle. The crank had to be turned to get the engine disassembled, and the cylinders were always a mess. Just take the intake and heads off and see what the problem is. Could very well be a broken head(s) which leaked coolant into cylinders, to sit and rust for years. Or if the engine sat exposed without hood or air cleaner, same deal. Or all could be ok. Then it is an opportunity to clean up rocker and chambers, install gaskets, and see what happens.

One home brew for a WD-40 type lube is 50% ATF and 50% Acetone. I've tried it a couple times on various things and still dont have an opinion on effectiveness. One thing for sure, it has to be shaken immediately before use because the concoction separates very quickly.
I am soaking the cylinders now with that "brew" as well as marvel and PB Blaster. I am trying to eliminate taking apart the engine too far.... I don't know too much about the inner workings other than the basics, valves and pistons and crank. It may be a little above my ability. If this doesn't work, Ill have to dig in deeper. Thank you for the information! I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by tomfiii
Did you have any rust on plugs? You can try and use a pry bar on flywheel and see if you can get the motor to move in either direction even if a little,and if it moves just move it back and forth.
I did have rust on 1 of the plugs, but the other 7 looks like new. Sooo, my guess is that the cylinder with its exhaust valve open is the one that has some rust in it. Where do I pry off of? I tried a breaker bar with an extension on the nut on the flywheel, but it didn't move.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:52 PM
tomfiii
Senior User
Use the starter teeth on ring gear,just make sure you have a level bite between teeth and a pry bar.how long has it soaked maybe a week or so.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM
ihcc104
Elder User
Before I try any prying, I am going to wait a week with it soaking. Maybe it will work its self out. Thanks

Old 07-19-2014, 06:53 AM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ihcc104
Before I try any prying, I am going to wait a week with it soaking. Maybe it will work its self out. Thanks
Don't leave us hanging...

And the status is?

Old 07-19-2014, 07:48 AM
ihcc104
Elder User
Originally Posted by KsCop
Don't leave us hanging...

And the status is?
KsCop, I have been updating my other thread and forgot about this one. I have since got the engine turning over, I let it soak for 3 days and hit the key and the engine started turning over, but it was popping out the carb. I decided to take it apart. I found out that one of the valves were stuck and subsequently bent a push rod, so I took them out, had the heads cleaned up and started lapping and putting the valves back in last night, hope to get the other head done tonight... and hope to have her running tomorrow.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:07 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ihcc104
KsCop, I have been updating my other thread and forgot about this one. I have since got the engine turning over, I let it soak for 3 days and hit the key and the engine started turning over, but it was popping out the carb. I decided to take it apart. I found out that one of the valves were stuck and subsequently bent a push rod, so I took them out, had the heads cleaned up and started lapping and putting the valves back in last night, hope to get the other head done tonight... and hope to have her running tomorrow.
Be careful with the long head bolts. The bolts on each end of the heads
are slightly longer than the three inner bolts. Mixing them up would be an assembly error with consequences.

Good Job!

Old 07-19-2014, 08:23 AM
ihcc104
Elder User
Originally Posted by 46yblock
Be careful with the long head bolts. The bolts on each end of the heads
are slightly longer than the three inner bolts. Mixing them up would be an assembly error with consequences.

Good Job!
Thank you, I will be on the lookout for that.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:04 PM
ihcc104
Elder User
Well I got it all out back together on Sunday and it runs just fine now, need to do some carb adjustments as it only runs on choke but it's running.