Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

4wd, 4wd low light coming on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 12:36 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 4wd, 4wd low light coming on.

1997 Explorer, 4wd.

Light saying , 4wd 4wd low
in dash comes on when vehicle is started, then goes off. While driving, after about three minutes, the light comes back on and then goes off after a few seconds. This continues approximately every three minutes. Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks
Maxtor

Old 07-09-2003, 08:38 PM
explorerII
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check fuse #27 on drivers side dash for starters. i know the manual says its for map lights so i pulled it and experienced same flashing. also this is a code based on how many times it flashes. try to count them and then ask dealer or this forum for answer.
good luck

Old 07-10-2003, 09:31 AM
exlmtd
Freshman User

I have a 95 Explorer 4.0L, which I recently had a transmission and transfercase rebuilt. The first time I went to use the 4x4 auto, it engaged fine. Then after a couple minutes the 4wd auto, and 4wd low lights on the dash began to blink. (When that happened the 4x4 stoped working)

I counted the blinks and they were 6 blinks and off for a while 6 blinks and off, etc, etc.

This went on, until I had the oportunity to stop the car, turned it off and re-start it. Needless is to say I haven't use the 4x4 since cause I'm afraid it will ruin something else.

If you know anything about this, cause, and repair, please let me know.

Ed

Old 07-10-2003, 02:01 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Cool 4wd, 4wd low light coming on.

Found the problem;

I took the car in to the dealer to check the error. My 4wd, 4wd low light also blinked six times every two or three minutes. They said that it was the motor that engaged the 4wd. To make a long story short, what I did was started to replace the old motor with a new one, but found that about eight special pins had to be moved to the new motor. I had unpluged the motor and unpluged the harness. After plugging the old harness back in, the light went out and everything works fine now. SO IT WAS A PIN IN THE HARNESS THAT WAS NOT MAKING CONTACT. The motor was fine. To access the harness at the upper end you have to remove the drivers seat. I would unplug and then replug the plug at the motor first (that is on the transfer case), to see if that is the one that has the pin that is not making contact. If you unplug and plug both ends and you still have the problem, then it is the motor. The dealer says that driving it with a bad motor will not cause a problem, but it will not go into 4wd or 4wd low, until the motor is replace. For the dealer to do it, expect around $500. I was lucky. Just one of the pins in one of the two plugs was not making contact.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:52 PM
CNTHOR
Senior User

exlmtd.

I know you had big problems with your tranny. I'm sorry you had to go through the whole ordeal

I had exactly your symptoms with the 4wd on my '95. It turned out to be a $40 rear driveshaft HALL sensor that I change myself.

read my last post to you on the '95 4wd system and try this

When you are completely stopped place the car in 4wd auto. If the 4wd light comes on solid (like it should) then wait a few minutes and see if it stays on.

If you are satisifed that it is staying on then start driving.

If after driving a little bit the 4wd light starts blinking then I believe one (or both) of your HALL sensors are bad or have picked up some metal filings.

I believe the light is blinking because your GEM computer doesn't think both driveshafts are going the same speed.

I think one of your HALL sensors is fooling the GEM into thinking one of the driveshafts is stopped all the time

When you are stopped the computer thinks everything is OK (because the other driveshaft is stopped also)

When you are moving the GEM tries to get both driveshaft spinning the same speed but the sensor isn't responding

It takes 5 minutes to change the rear sensor (you have to cut the old one off and splice in the new one. Sealing the splice with liquid electrical tape)

The front sensor is hardr becasue you have to remove the shift motor on the transfer case

Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 AM
jbwilli
Cross-Country
CNTHOR is correct that a bad HALL sensor can cause the problem, bu there are so many many more possibilities that may be the cause. The HALL sensors are close to the LAST item I would check. IF you do replace it, DO NO CUT THE WIRES! The pins in the connector can be removed! They were manually installed at assy and with a magnifying glass and a tiny flat blade and straight pins, you can figure out how to release them from the connector they are installed into. This is true for all FORD electrical connectors I have seen.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:27 PM
lihpaid001
New User
4wd 4wd low

My 97 ford explorer xlt light comes on when start the car and then went off then back on in a minute or two and continues for the duration of the trip. I am still looking for help on that. Thank you guys

Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 PM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
My '04 did that and it turned out to be ABS sensor.