My latest veggie conversion - best yet?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,883 Likes on 1,137 Posts
My latest veggie conversion - best yet?

Using the all new Veggie Garage CV relocate kit takes it up several notches on the awesome scale!

VO is fed to the rear of the heads - check out these SS hard lines!!!

Larger, more robust CV's reduce the chances of failure and this location makes them infinitely easier to change if they did!

Still nothing 'in the way' of routine or even extreme maintenance.

What veggie conversion??? I love the STOCK look!!

I mounted an aux coolant pump on top of the Vegistroke V4 manifold and used the same weatherpack fitting the electric blanket used for plug-n-play compatibility with V4 wire harness. The pump is plumbed into the return coolant line coming from the Hot Fox. That heater hose (goes to coolant wrap on filter) has compound bends in it for the most awesome fit ever!!!!

TIH from the Hot Fox to the V4 is bundled with V4 purge/return hose, return coolant hose and fuel level sender, then wrapped in Armaflex and placed inside vinyl hose.

More bendy heater hose - just to make it even harder to be as cool as me!! lol

Valve to turn off heat to the VO loop if needed? Check!

Always remember to ground the V3/V4 to the body and chassis.

TIH bundle tucked neatly under the body.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:19 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
purdy cool stuff, right there bud. Dig the fact, it looks stock. its what i was after. Cant afford the smog-po's to start sniffing around. Using the PSD cover to hide the x-overlines...brilliant!!!

Jay...OT, but have you ever heard of a guy named Greg Darby or Darby Craag? Reason being, was watching a First 48 show the other night, and he used to install wvo /diy systems...unfortunetly, that episode was about him...

Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work. I like the "sleeper" look too.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Thanks guys. I'm finishing the dash tomorow and the custom 90gal veggie tank is scheduled for delivery Thursday - so this thing will be enjoying the high-cholesterol diet soooon!

I'm working on the next one that will leave the shop now. This veggie conversion started with a bare frame!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I like that this completely removes the factory hard lines from the valley.
With the check valves instead of solenoid valves... switching over should be as simple as kicking on the vo pump right? This is what i was going for when i was asking you about how i wanted to do the conversion on motorbug. I was thinking about trying to tap into my frx to get vo to the heads... but it looks so clean the way you did this. I already have a coil of aluminum tubing, but when we discussed it you recommended going with ss. I still need to get my tank patched up....

Too many dang projects.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:52 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
with the length and bends of the aluminum tubing, feeding the wvo, and not secured, but only at the ports, you worried about vibrations cracking it/them?

Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
with the length and bends of the aluminum tubing, feeding the wvo, and not secured, but only at the ports, you worried about vibrations cracking it/them?
The tubing on the heads is SS and there is very little weight riding on them. The alum tubing is inside the Tube-In-Hose (TIH) heated fuel lines and has rubber hose on either end so no stress on these fittings.

Here is the tank-side of the TIH. You can see the short length of rubber hose extending from the aluminum tubing to the Hot Fox heated fuel pick-up:

Custom 90gal tank from Wvo and svo diesel to vegetable oil conversion kit | Veggie Garage

F650 dash with switches and OLED for Vegistroke system as well as fuel pressure and VO tank fuel level gauges:

And its a purty truck too!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Jon-e-mac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegiestroke? haha Awesome!

Question...are DIY conversion tactics illegal? How much was your conversion? Invested time? Do you have a grocery list for everything? Where do you get this veggie oil from? How much is it? Sorry for the questions....I guess I could browse more, but I just saw this post and need sleep.

Oh, do you still make good power? How many mpg will you get? Does your truck smell like a McDonald's kitchen from using it?

Last edited by Jon-e-mac; 08-27-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Jon-e-mac
Vegiestroke? haha Awesome!

Question...are DIY conversion tactics illegal? How much was your conversion? Invested time? Do you have a grocery list for everything? Where do you get this veggie oil from? How much is it? Sorry for the questions....I guess I could browse more, but I just saw this post and need sleep.

Oh, do you still make good power? How many mpg will you get? Does your truck smell like a McDonald's kitchen from using it?
It is not legal to avoid road taxes. That said, DOT, etc is only looking for red dyed fuel.

My conversion system costs about $2500 plus VO tank.

I get used vegetable oil (fryer oil) from several restaurants in my area. Until recently I got it for free, but it runs from free to $3/gal depending where you live.

Power and fuel economy the same as diesel. I have over 200k miles on my 7.3 burning the high-cholesterol fuel. I used to haul my 5ver all over the country up to 30k miles/yr - no issue with power, but since my fuel was free I often drive much harder than I would on the expensive dead dinosaur stuff!

Yes, my exhaust smells like french fries, BBQ chicken, Thai food or funnel cakes - depending on what was cooked in the oil.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
It's illegal to evade tax, not to avoid tax. (Well.. Normally) Why would there be a tax on used fryer oil?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tedster9
It's illegal to evade tax, not to avoid tax. (Well.. Normally) Why would there be a tax on used fryer oil?
Touche my friend. Semantics... evade is avoid

There is no tax on used fryer oil, but we pay taxes for the roads we use when we purchase fuel. Since almost everyone gets their fuel from a retail station - its easy to tax the fuel to pay for the roads. Apparently, some rebels have found a way to get fuel from places OTHER than the retail outlets!! Some states have provided a way for these outcasts to legally burn this fuel and pay taxes based on what they use. Meanwhile, electric and hybrid vehicles are getting 'fuel' from somewhere else - but they are dumb enough to pay so much for this, the gov't must feel sorry for them!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:08 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
This is the latest truck I converted.

It got an Excursion tank in the spare tire location for veggie!

This is my system and these are the switches I use in an F650 dash piece that also holds fuel level and fuel pressure gauges.

Here it is being delivered to FTE member Doug in NJ!

Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 AM
brobrad
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice work. I may be getting with you on where to get the double bend lines. I've always been told the HIH is a very bad idea. Obviously you don't think so. My concern would be way down the road a hole developing in the metal line.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:21 AM
M-S-G
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's up with using two rear ports and two front ports?

How is that a good idea?
I would think there is a reason standard config is on opposite ends of the engine...

Old 03-05-2015, 12:25 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by brobrad
Very nice work. I may be getting with you on where to get the double bend lines. I've always been told the HIH is a very bad idea. Obviously you don't think so. My concern would be way down the road a hole developing in the metal line.
I have only heard of a couple TIH failures using the method I use. They were due to kinking the tubing inside the hose or from being damaged (under a MBZ). None of the systems I have installed have had a problem and that is certainly over a million miles of cumulative service.

Veggie Garage is currently researching a better AND less expensive way to build these. Keep your eyes peeled for that and some other exclusive Wvo and svo diesel to vegetable oil conversion kit | Veggie Garage products coming out soon!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My latest veggie conversion - best yet?