Getting WVO in the Big City

Old 04-24-2014, 12:29 PM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting WVO in the Big City

I'm thinking about getting into biodiesel production again ... I've got all the equipment, but it's been living with my business partner for a few years. I gave it up because I couldn't find oil anywhere.

Well, I've since moved to Albuquerque. It seems a lot of the market here is locked up by either Core Biofuels or Valley Proteins, neither of which will return a phone call. It's very hard to break into the market, not just because the big guys have contracts but also because they're paying for the oil, which I can't really afford to do.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on the feasibility of collecting oil nowadays for a small-time producer. I'm thinking there are probably opportunities in a city of 600,000 for the small guys, but I'd like to hear your success stories.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
i guess, if i didnt want to pay for it, would be to, start showing your face in fish/chip shops, mom-n-pop restaurants..etc, get to no them, then slide the question in, in regards to "getting" some oil. Dont ask for all, but a little bit. Then work your way from there....Hit up caterers that post on c-list. Go to outdoor conventions...swapmeets, dirtbike races..etc...theirsalways people fry'n at them...hospitals, bars...

Old 04-25-2014, 10:29 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of paying for it; it's just that the big greasers can price me right out of the market (and they have). But I'll start keeping my eyes out and see if I can cultivate some business relationships.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,884 Likes on 1,137 Posts
Good advice from Tim.

Consider offering something besides cash for the oil. Pressure washing, landscaping, passing out menus to local offices, etc. The check these places see from the renderers is a joke compared to things like the electric bill. You can also offer to pay for advertising at the local little league field, etc. My area has a big 'Go Local' campaign encouraging businesses and people alike to keep their money in our community - I remind them the renderers are very large out-of-town corporations who until recently made HUGE profits on the oil they are now suddenly willing to pay them for. They do not care about YOUR business - but I do and I will be promoting your business every chance I get. Does the renderer even EAT here?????

Keep in mind, with or without $$$ - what they are doing now is working and its easier to just leave it alone if you were them. You have to learn to be a good salesman!